Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Translation: Lazy Atheism.
    Something like that.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Ginkgo

Here's a question for believers:

How do you gain conviction in your beliefs in the wake of so many others being tossed about? Is it a personal thing where you identify with what you want in a belief system, or is it more of a process of discovering the most reasonable truth? Or a combination of both?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Here's a question for believers:

How do you gain conviction in your beliefs in the wake of so many others being tossed about? Is it a personal thing where you identify with what you want in a belief system, or is it more of a process of discovering the most reasonable truth? Or a combination of both?
    I was thinking about this today, one of my favourite authors Francis Wheen has attacked what he thinks is the irrationalism in publishing about angels, fairies, tarot, astrology etc. with great vehemence, I think rightly, while falling short of attacks on religion. I thought about this today when looking at a "mind, body and spirit" section of a bookshop, I surveyed what was there and thought, realistically, I'd be more interested in reading the history or philosophy offerings.

AC Grayling has had a field day with this BTW he repeatedly talks about sky fairy and sky tyrant and stuff like that, Dawkins goes further with his inclusion of all the beliefs of pretty varied, diverse and disparite sources into a single battery of absurdity. Grayling and Dawkins are different, in print they can seem the same but in interviews Grayling appears like the more affable character, much as I may differ with him all the same.

However, realistically there are athiests and athiests, there are also naturalists and naturalists and also agnostics and agnostics, I dont generalise about them so I dont accept generalisations about belief systems originating from faith communities either. They arent all created equally, some I do believe are inventions of man, whatever merits they have I dont believe they are divinely ordained.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ah it's a shame that this thread doesn't have a poll.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Ah it's a shame that this thread doesn't have a poll.
    Poll, poll, poll!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    The more religions I have learned about, the more I have come to see common threads in them. I have thererefore long ago abandoned the idea that one religion or spiritual path is better than any other. There are many paths to the divine, and each of us must find our own way. My conviction in my particular expression of belief comes from (1) the connections or commonality it has with others' beliefs; and (2) the degree of personal fit or compatibility it provides. I could reach the same goals through many religions, but will do best in the one that speaks most meaningfully to me.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 08-17-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The more religions I have learned about, the more I have come to see common threads in them. I have thererefore long ago abandoned the idea that one religion or spiritual path is better than any other. There are many paths to the divine, and each of us must find our own way. My conviction in my particular expression of belief comes from (1) the connections or commonality it has with others' beliefs; and (2) the degree of personal fit or compatibility it provides. I could reach the same goals through many religions, but will do best in the one that speaks most meaningfully to me.
    I tend to consider it like mathematics, there is only one correct answer, sometimes people reach it even though their working out is different or even wrong, however there's still just the one answer.

I'm a bit hesitant about personal fit, I know what you mean and actually agree but I also think that you shouldnt simply tailor something to suit yourself in matters of faith and morals, I once did but I'm not sure that I do now.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I tend to consider it like mathematics, there is only one correct answer, sometimes people reach it even though their working out is different or even wrong, however there's still just the one answer.
    That's a good analogy. I also like the Asian saying of "one road, but many paths" as well.

I'm a bit hesitant about personal fit, I know what you mean and actually agree but I also think that you shouldnt simply tailor something to suit yourself in matters of faith and morals, I once did but I'm not sure that I do now.
    This often entails loving a god made in your own image, rather loving God as he actually is. So in the end you're just worshipping yourself and calling yourself god.

Faith, I think, would include just the individual and God. Making personal decisions, without weighing one's thoughts against external influences or distractions, is no easy feat, but where conviction comes from. It's also potentially mad.

I would say I came about faith this way, but I've tried to refine my beliefs, and do seek out what's reasonable or universal as an afterthought. "Fides quaerens intellectum" (faith seeking understanding). To answer Tater's question: a bit of both.. but I wouldn't be where I am at to begin with without a personal decision.

Sniffles

But faith is also a public affair as well, and always has been. The notion that faith is purely a personal matter is largely a Protestant concept on steroids(since even Protestants acknowledged public elements of faith).