User Tag List

First 1959676869707179 Last

Results 681 to 690 of 849

  1. #681
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duck! View Post
    That is the best thing ever said.

    I am also an atheist. When I have children, I might expose them to my ancestral religion (Hinduism) by taking them to temples etc. But I will always teach them to be critical of religious dogma, and hope -- though I won't insist -- that they see through the charades that define religion.

    I am told that my type -- ENFP -- makes people more prone to spirituality and religious beliefs. That might be the case; I continue to admire
    spiritual beauty, but I feel that by taking part in it I am doing something contrary to my beliefs.
    just teach them to think critically and the rest will fall into place. I agree with teh ENFP spirituality thing. It's like we're hardwired for it, but I think most humans are. I just find my spiritual wonder in the universe itself in the same vein as Sagan.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

  2. #682
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Smile Disbelief and the Suspension of Disbelief

    Why can't we have our cake and eat it too?

    Why can't we disbelieve and suspend our disbelief?

    It's plain some disbelieve and some suspend their disbelief. And as nothing human is foreign to us, why don't we have both.

    Of course some will say it is not logical to do both. And this is true if we try to do both at once, for not only is it illogical, it is impossible. However it is possible to do both at different times and in different places.

    There are those who will swear by disbelief and swear they are atheists, and yet think nothing of suspending their disbelief in a movie theatre.

    And so we only have to move across the road to a church, synagogue, mosque or temple and suspend our disbelief there. After all, it is only a change of venue but the suspension of disbelief is exactly the same as in the movie theatre.

    So it seems odd to me that atheists refuse to suspend their disbelief in a house of worship but will suspend their disbelief in a movie theatre. It seems like special pleading. It's unseemly.

  3. #683
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    actually Atheists treat movies and religion as the same thing: Fiction.

    Not really any special pleading needed.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

  4. #684
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    actually Atheists treat movies and religion as the same thing: Fiction.

    Not really any special pleading needed.
    That still leaves us with the problem that atheists go to the movies but not to houses of worship.

  5. #685
    Supreme High Commander Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Why can't we have our cake and eat it too?

    Why can't we disbelieve and suspend our disbelief?

    It's plain some disbelieve and some suspend their disbelief. And as nothing human is foreign to us, why don't we have both.

    Of course some will say it is not logical to do both. And this is true if we try to do both at once, for not only is it illogical, it is impossible. However it is possible to do both at different times and in different places.

    There are those who will swear by disbelief and swear they are atheists, and yet think nothing of suspending their disbelief in a movie theatre.

    And so we only have to move across the road to a church, synagogue, mosque or temple and suspend our disbelief there. After all, it is only a change of venue but the suspension of disbelief is exactly the same as in the movie theatre.

    So it seems odd to me that atheists refuse to suspend their disbelief in a house of worship but will suspend their disbelief in a movie theatre. It seems like special pleading. It's unseemly.
    The essential differance is that in a movie you suspend your disbelief about something to allow it to be accepted as part of the story. In church, you would have to suspend your disbelief in order to accept something as part of reality, which is a different feat altogether.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

  6. #686
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Because fiction that tries to convince you that it is not fiction gets really tiresome. Also if one is interested in learning about the religion then a house of worship is a terrible place to go to do research.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

  7. #687
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    actually Atheists treat movies and religion as the same thing: Fiction.
    Ever hear of something called a parable?

  8. #688
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Yeah I have. Last I checked they weren't solely religious. And since they are primarily analogies, they are usually fictitious.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

  9. #689
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well I managed to get half-way through where he said he didnt give a damn about my beliefs, to which of course I decided to repay in kind. His little temper tantrum is one of the best proofs to show the truth of Proverbs 24:7 "Wisdom is too high for a fool to understand."
    Your wisdom is so high Peguy I do not understand you. I must be a fool . I especially don't understand how you could believe your beliefs are 'wisdom' & anyone who denies them is a fool. So I guess I must be a fool.

  10. #690
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Yeah I have. Last I checked they weren't solely religious. And since they are primarily analogies, they are usually fictitious.
    They're fictitious but still convey a moral truth. So whether Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, or the prodigal son really did squander his family inheritance is quite irrelevant. Not to mention there are distinctions between the historical books like Maccabees or Kings I&II(to give two examples) and say the Book of Job or Proverbs. It's been argued that the Bible as well as other ancient texts don't necessarily fall into modern categories of fiction or non-fiction; but might constitute an entirely different genre called "Faction".

Similar Threads

  1. What's your favorite font?
    By proteanmix in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 12:56 AM
  2. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM
  3. What's Your Shoe Size??
    By FranG in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 10:18 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO