User Tag List

First 1858666768697078 Last

Results 671 to 680 of 849

  1. #671
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    If you are very, very religious, then perhaps you should avoid this video.
    But this is exactly how I feel about religion-- this man just happened to
    say it a million times better than I ever could.

    This guy makes me smile like this

    [youtube="M114bK4qaiM"]Take your god and shove him[/youtube]
    I've watched this guy before. Needlessly hostile and definitely an overly opinionated moralist. No reason to be angry like this, isn't helpful at all.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  2. #672
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    I agree. In the US, too many Christians (although certainly not all!) use God's word as an excuse for xenophobic, intolerant attitudes. Like I said in my post above, I think Jesus would be a lot more forgiving than many of his followers. I think he would value kindness and respect way more than trying to force one's beliefs, religious or otherwise, onto someone else.
    There used to be a trendy slogan: "What would Jesus do?" which was abbreviated "WWJD" on mugs, jewelry, keychains, etc. It didn't seem to last long. I think many people who call themselves Christian don't really want the answer to this question. Their own actions and choices cannot withstand the comparison.

  3. #673
    don't fence me in sui generis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx
    Posts
    746

    Default

    I understand what the guy in the video is angry about. It's frustrating when other people tell you they know what's best for you and refuse to listen (no, some Christians don't just drop it when you say "No, thank you")! However, my agnosticism/atheism isn't angry as much as it is freeing. It's different for everyone. I definitely went through an angry period, but I'm not there anymore.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

    approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

  4. #674
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    There used to be a trendy slogan: "What would Jesus do?" which was abbreviated "WWJD" on mugs, jewelry, keychains, etc. It didn't seem to last long.
    What do you mean, the term itself dates from the 1890s.

  5. #675
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    the term might have, but the trend didn't.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  6. #676
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    the term might have, but the trend didn't.
    It was quite popular when it first came out, being one of the main slogans of the Christian Socialist and Social Gospel movements.

  7. #677
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Okay, I believe you, but why pretend you don't know what the other person means? Sometimes it seems like you do that so you can wedge in some esoteric fact (like that one), just to show that you know an esoteric fact.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  8. #678
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Okay, I believe you, but why pretend you don't know what the other person means? Sometimes it seems like you do that so you can wedge in some esoteric fact (like that one), just to show that you know an esoteric fact.
    I like enriching peoples' minds. :redface:

  9. #679
    Giggity Vie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    792

    Default

    I once believed in the Roman Catholic version of God as a child, fullheartedly.

    I still want to believe, but I'm not entirely sure that I ever can or will. The fact that I very hypocritically pray when I'm in need and curse God when I'm in a bad place leads me to believe that somewhere, deep within my cold dead soul, I have a shred of belief for him.

    However, I find myself irritated by people who do incessentaly bring their beliefs into every conversation and ignore all rational reason to explain something, instead pinning it on Jesus. I find myself envious of those who believe as they seem so much more happier than those who don't at times.

    Ignorance certainly is bliss in this case.

    I don't know much about other religions and I suppose that makes me ignorant, but if I was to identify with one religion it would be Catholicism.

  10. #680
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    And I believe those who love everyone do not love anybody at all.

    I don't have a religion, I'm an atheist.
    That is the best thing ever said.

    I am also an atheist. When I have children, I might expose them to my ancestral religion (Hinduism) by taking them to temples etc. But I will always teach them to be critical of religious dogma, and hope -- though I won't insist -- that they see through the charades that define religion.

    I am told that my type -- ENFP -- makes people more prone to spirituality and religious beliefs. That might be the case; I continue to admire
    spiritual beauty, but I feel that by taking part in it I am doing something contrary to my beliefs.

Similar Threads

  1. What's your favorite font?
    By proteanmix in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 12:56 AM
  2. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM
  3. What's Your Shoe Size??
    By FranG in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 10:18 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO