User Tag List

First 1757656667686977 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    Haha, he is talking about religious people that keep on trying to sell their religion. It's like trying to sell a car to someone who is fine with the car they already got. Then when told "No," keeps on trying to sell the car no matter what. Now add fifty car salesmen a day, and you will understand why "Fuck off," is thrown in your face in the end.
    A simple polite "no, thank you" will usually make them go away. If you're that pissed off that you're going to video tape a juvenile temper tantrum and place it on the internet, then perhaps you're better off just getting a puppy or maybe jacking off.

I would say I'm Christian, but one of those ecumenical/universalist types who digs Buddha and Lao Tzu, Alan Watts, or even new age types like Marianne Williamson. I'm not big on finding how wrong every other type of belief is, and wishing fire and brimstone rain upon everyone else who isn't exactly like me. I don't think God wants to kill homosexuals - and isn't all that keen on destroying people in general either. I think God isn't against science, that he/she thinks men and women are equal, that nobody is a master race, and that buggering altar boys is nothing worth defending. And kind of think half of the Bible is primitive, militaristic, patriarchal, xenophobic nonsense. I think simple kindness actually goes a long way, and is the highest ideal (yet I'm pretty pissed off and militant against those who would snivel at that).

And yet I still say I'm Christian. Go figure. It's sad that I feel I have to hide it at times.. or even have to explain that some Christians also believe that Love is the answer. Everything is so muddied these days, where my beliefs are equated with a lot of evil..not love..and I resent Christians who are responsible for it and made life a living hell for others. And I've heard many sermons where sentiments like mine are all that's wrong with the world..that my thoughts are too "syncretic".. that being open and friendly is actually the wrong thing.. that I'll probably have to answer to God for not being totally down with everything the church says, and even given to ridiculing a lot of it. So be it. I think I'm right, and happy to answer to God about it all. How it was all the right call to not be woefully dismissive of intellectual matters and science, how one gender shouldn't overpower others, how young children shouldn't be sodomized, how I never should equate patriotism with religion, how I should cherish anyone, no matter if Buddhist or Atheist or Hindu or whatever, if they worked for a better world. Yeah, what I'm saying is all so bad, isn't it? I am going to enjoy the hell I'm destined for...if that's where I'm going.

I read an article recently where Anne Rice just walked from the church for the same reasons (but yet, she's still a believer). I like her. I've spoken to her a few times actually.. She's almost undoubtedly INFP, right? Maybe IFPs are all kind of like this.. a little universal and inclusive on our take on religion, even if we believe in some traditional things as well. I just think it's too simplistic to answer: I'm Christian. Because apparently, I'm really not. Most Christians would laugh at what I'm saying, and atheists would probably just tell me to give it up already. I don't like either approach.

I like the youtube man.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm an agnostic who was raised as a Catholic.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I would say I'm Christian, but one of those ecumenical/universalist types who digs Buddha and Lao Tzu, Alan Watts, or even new age types like Marianne Williamson. I'm not big on finding how wrong every other type of belief is, and wishing fire and brimstone rain upon everyone else who isn't exactly like me. I don't think God wants to kill homosexuals - and isn't all that keen on destroying people in general either. I think God isn't against science, that he/she thinks men and women are equal, that nobody is a master race, and that buggering altar boys is nothing worth defending. And kind of think half of the Bible is primitive, militaristic, patriarchal, xenophobic nonsense. I think simple kindness actually goes a long way, and is the highest ideal (yet I'm pretty pissed off and militant against those who would snivel at that).

And yet I still say I'm Christian. Go figure. It's sad that I feel I have to hide it at times.. or even have to explain that some Christians also believe that Love is the answer. Everything is so muddied these days, where my beliefs are equated with a lot of evil..not love..and I resent Christians who are responsible for it and made life a living hell for others. And I've heard many sermons where sentiments like mine are all that's wrong with the world..that my thoughts are too "syncretic".. that being open and friendly is actually the wrong thing.. that I'll probably have to answer to God for not being totally down with everything the church says, and even given to ridiculing a lot of it. So be it. I think I'm right, and happy to answer to God about it all. How it was all the right call to not be woefully dismissive of intellectual matters and science, how one gender shouldn't overpower others, how young children shouldn't be sodomized, how I never should equate patriotism with religion, how I should cherish anyone, no matter if Buddhist or Atheist or Hindu or whatever, if they worked for a better world. Yeah, what I'm saying is all so bad, isn't it? I am going to enjoy the hell I'm destined for...if that's where I'm going.

I read an article recently where Anne Rice just walked from the church for the same reasons (but yet, she's still a believer). I like her. I've spoken to her a few times actually.. She's almost undoubtedly INFP, right? Maybe IFPs are all kind of like this.. a little universal and inclusive on our take on religion, even if we believe in some traditional things as well. I just think it's too simplistic to answer: I'm Christian. Because apparently, I'm really not. Most Christians would laugh at what I'm saying, and atheists would probably just tell me to give it up already. I don't like either approach.
    See reading your post, I dont know who it is that's framing Christianity in your context, whether its those hostile to it or those who're its worst representatives, but its not good.

Come to America sometime

All that said, I have my own take, and try to not pay attention to all of that madness (despite paying attention enough to write the rant above).

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Come to America sometime

All that said, I have my own take, and try to not pay attention to all of that madness (despite paying attention enough to write the rant above).
    Yeah, I kind of get that impression, I get a feeling that things are pretty polarised without much room for moderation or things which dont fit the profiles or stereotypes created by each side in the conflict.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Come to America sometime

I agree. In the US, too many Christians (although certainly not all!) use God's word as an excuse for xenophobic, intolerant attitudes. Like I said in my post above, I think Jesus would be a lot more forgiving than many of his followers. I think he would value kindness and respect way more than trying to force one's beliefs, religious or otherwise, onto someone else.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    A simple polite "no, thank you" will usually make them go away. If you're that pissed off that you're going to video tape a juvenile temper tantrum and place it on the internet, then perhaps you're better off just getting a puppy or maybe jacking off.
    Writing "You," means that you're refering to the guy in the video and not me, right?

You are/were appearantly not a big fan of George Carlin. The only difference between this man and George Carlin is that George Carlin used his Irish background to portrait his frustration, whereas this man is using his British background. This man has obviously practiced his speech, and he is obviously doing his best to keep his mask on. Can hardly find it a juvenile temper trantrum when he gets over 13,000 thumbs ups and laughs from a single little five minute video. But you're welcome to 'J'udge it of course.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    Writing "You," means that you're refering to the guy in the video and not me, right?

You are/were appearantly not a big fan of George Carlin. The only difference between this man and George Carlin is that George Carlin used his Irish background to portrait his frustration, whereas this man is using his British background. This man has obviously practiced his speech, and he is obviously doing his best to keep his mask on. Can hardly find it a juvenile temper trantrum when he gets over 13,000 thumbs ups and laughs from a single little five minute video. But you're welcome to 'J'udge it of course.
    Funny, this video got 143,000 thumbs up

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc"]Freak Out[/YOUTUBE]

That might tell you more about how people value entertainment more than anything else.