User Tag List

First 747555657585967 Last

Results 561 to 570 of 849

  1. #561
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

    What is my religion answers the question, where do I belong?

    So where do I belong?

    I belong to a civilization based on Ancient Greek philosophy, Judaism, Christianity and Humanism. A civilization that exploded into the world with print and is now imploding into itself with the electronic media.

    But almost unbeknownst to itself it is growing exponentially and quite soon it will reach its singularity or its omega point.

    It has two competitors - Indian civilization and Chinese civilization. But we will reach our singularity before either of them.

    Perhaps the most interesting thing about a singularity is that it will be a surprise.

    It may well be the Restaurant at the End of the Universe or something we can't even imagine.

  2. #562
    Senior Member Loxias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Local Jesus :
    Have you had any spiritual/transcendental experience in particular that led you towards Celtic heathenry? Is it in reverence of your ancestry? Or a choice of more aesthetic/romantic nature?
    What made you adopt this particular path?
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

  3. #563
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What is my religion answers the question, where do I belong?

    So where do I belong?

    I belong to a civilization based on Ancient Greek philosophy, Judaism, Christianity and Humanism. A civilization that exploded into the world with print and is now imploding into itself with the electronic media.

    But almost unbeknownst to itself it is growing exponentially and quite soon it will reach its singularity or its omega point.

    It has two competitors - Indian civilization and Chinese civilization. But we will reach our singularity before either of them.

    Perhaps the most interesting thing about a singularity is that it will be a surprise.

    It may well be the Restaurant at the End of the Universe or something we can't even imagine.
    Indeed. And by defining where we belong, we define where we do not belong. Often where we do not belong holds more significance than where we do.

    I go to the Blue Goose because I do not like The Red Lion. Instead of a Superposition it boils down to good old opportunity cost. But I don't much like the Blue Goose...

  4. #564
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    The Others

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Indeed. And by defining where we belong, we define where we do not belong. Often where we do not belong holds more significance than where we do.

    I go to the Blue Goose because I do not like The Red Lion. Instead of a Superposition it boils down to good old opportunity cost. But I don't much like the Blue Goose...
    Yes, in the global village it is becoming vital to know which etribe you belong to.

    So I don't belong to the Indian or the Chinese, so that only leaves the Western.

    It is important to know not only where you stand but how you stand. In that way we can keep our balance.

    We are faced here everyday with the Chinese and Indian civilizations and they are faced with us. Quite soon China will be our biggest trading partner with India following close behind. And our relationships with them will be rocky and inevitable.

    So it is vital we know who we are and who they are.

    And as you say, to us they are the other, and to them we are the other.

  5. #565
    Senior Member Loxias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    301

    Default

    The world is not only the Western, Indian and Chinese civilisations.
    Which in turn aren't uniform blocks.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

  6. #566
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    The world is not only the Western, Indian and Chinese civilisations.
    Well, let's look at the candidates.

    Perhaps Russia, but Russia is based on Russian Orthodox Christianity, so Russia is part of the West.

    Perhaps Islam, but Islam is one of the three Abrahamic faiths and so surprisingly for everyone, Islam is part of the West.

    Africa perhaps, but Africa has been colonized by the West and also is part of the West.

    So that only leaves three civilizations extant - the Indian civilization, the Chinese civilization and the Western civilization.

  7. #567
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    I think I can identify a little bit with the "tribes" Victor mentioned (Greek/Humanistic/Judaic/Christian), as well as the Indian and Chinese cultures (via family from "Indochina"/SE Asia). I wouldn't say I'm "global" though, since I know next to nothing about African/Hispanic/Aboriginal/and many specific European cultures, and they're all important. But I do feel I've gotten to experience life without a big East/West divide.

    How that all transfers to religious beliefs, I don't know. I think I've mentioned before that I like Taoism. Which is just my way of saying I don't believe in much of anything

  8. #568
    Senior Member Loxias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Why do you need to regroup things this way? Why do you need to oversimplify to such meaningless entities when there are plenty of essential differences on a much narrower level to take into account?
    To the level at which you are, it would actually be very easy to unite the remaining blocks. Chinese and Indian civilisations are tied by the influence of Buddhism (and Hinduism), Indian civilisation has had considerable islamic influence, Chinese civilisation has gone through thorough contact with Western ideas and ways(think of the cultural revolution in China, the extensive westernisation of Japan...).

    And if you stick to your scheme. Is Indonesia culturally Western or Indian?
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

  9. #569
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I think I can identify a little bit with the "tribes" Victor mentioned (Greek/Humanistic/Judaic/Christian), as well as the Indian and Chinese cultures (via family from "Indochina"/SE Asia). I wouldn't say I'm "global" though, since I know next to nothing about African/Hispanic/Aboriginal/and many specific European cultures, and they're all important. But I do feel I've gotten to experience life without a big East/West divide.

    How that all transfers to religious beliefs, I don't know. I think I've mentioned before that I like Taoism. Which is just my way of saying I don't believe in much of anything
    Unless we speak Hindi, Mandarin and English, we can't say we are multicultural.

  10. #570
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    Is Indonesia culturally Western or Indian?
    It's called Indonesia (Indo-nesia) because it is part of Indian civilization.

Similar Threads

  1. What's your favorite font?
    By proteanmix in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 12:56 AM
  2. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM
  3. What's Your Shoe Size??
    By FranG in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 10:18 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO