First 32404142434452 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    As far as the metaphor goes for parables and the like, it's the author or speaker of that metaphor that is interpreting it.

For context I mean context of the text. Of the times is good, but it's not essential to the main points.
    Yeah not really sure what you mean here.

People are always going to screw things up one way or another. There is no set way. God's revelation is important to understand the bible to begin with. *My opinion.

So, what's literal to me and not I leave up to God. I make sure my thinking is right just like you might by comparing it to other sources and using logic. Beyond that it's beyond me.
    So basically God tells you how to interpret the bible? If so, I can't really disagree with that, though for whatever reason I've never experienced anything like that.

Prophesies are always easier to see the meaning of after they happen. So thousands of people might disagree with me and that is their right, but everything is clearer in hindsight.

Is not everything easy to misinterpret? In fact in one way or another everything is misinterpreted.
    Yup.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Not sow much as tells, us but shows us. Suggests it. Makes it clear etc. We really are getting deep into some Christian doctrine. There are a lot of other things that go along with it which make it more clear. The idea is that we as humans can only understand the Bible to a point. The parts we don't understand have yet to be revealed. Some people might interpret it as a modern day miracle, but in my opinion it's sorta not.

Metaphors... In the text if there is a metaphor the author usually interprets it unless it is prophesy. In which case it really doesn't need to be interpreted.
    By context of text I mean what surrounds that passage that you are trying to interpret By times I mean well, the social times. What's considered right and wrong, to what extent, etc.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Not sow much as tells, us but shows us. Suggests it. Makes it clear etc. We really are getting deep into some Christian doctrine. There are a lot of other things that go along with it which make it more clear. The idea is that we as humans can only understand the Bible to a point. The parts we don't understand have yet to be revealed. Some people might interpret it as a modern day miracle, but in my opinion it's sorta not.

Metaphors... In the text if there is a metaphor the author usually interprets it unless it is prophesy. In which case it really doesn't need to be interpreted.
    By context of text I mean what surrounds that passage that you are trying to interpret By times I mean well, the social times. What's considered right and wrong, to what extent, etc.
    Mmk. I think I understand your stance better now, though I obviously disagree. But again, whatever works for you I guess.
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    Atheist
    Parent indoctrination.
    Grow up.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

A form of internal spirtuality/meditation.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

The Bible is not easy to read, for sure, and can be very confusing, apparently contradictory, etc., it's true. However, the most important things are stated very clearly:

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (NIV, John 13:34-35)

Now, try to do that. If you can do that 24/7, waking and sleeping, then you're in a good spot to commence deciphering all the confusing and contradictory stuff. For me, I'm still working on the basics...

COKE LOVES YOU
    YouTube - Coca Cola Hilltop Song

COKE IS THE REAL THING

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

*skips multiple posts to get to the end*

I'm a Christian. Grew up Episcopalian and changed to non-denominational because I found that the Episcopals seemed to place more importance on the item being symbolized than the thing it stood for (i.e.: the actual water used for the holy water/sacraments was more important than what the water stood for) *no offense to Episcopals*

I'd also just like to add in that the Bible does not contradict itself. I have never heard of or seen a passage in the Good Book that does. If someone can find something for me, I'll concede but until then...

And, Costrin, you say that: "So basically God tells you how to interpret the bible?" and that is true. Many Christians pray specifically before reading the Bible and ask God to reveal His will through His Word to them. As such, God would "tell" them how to interpret the Bible through a revelation of His Word.
    We are determined to win the battle. We will fight them until hell freezes over and then, if we have to, we'll fight them on the ice. - Joseph Lanier

Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen. Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though. - from "Mostly Harmless"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Parent indoctrination.
    Grow up.
    Hi. Elaborate plox.

Quote Originally Posted by FerventFox View Post
    I'd also just like to add in that the Bible does not contradict itself. I have never heard of or seen a passage in the Good Book that does. If someone can find something for me, I'll concede but until then...
    Well... this link may interest you.
    - Costrin

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    But, if you are just a moderate or mild Christian, then there's a 15 to 35% chance that you won't/don't scare me.
    There's no such thing as a moderate or mild Christian. You're either a Christian or not. Now there are plenty of Christians who are mild-mannered or moderate in their behavior, but it's an important distinction to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Hmm, you might be one of the good Christians, (they're incredibly rare, for I find that most Christians are inherently highly hypocritical, immoral a-holes who use Christianity as a way to gain social acceptance and approval).
    First, there's no such thing as a good Christian. We're all sinners, no one is good or bad. Second, you don't know most Christians, so you don't have a solid basis for that statement. Now, perhaps you meant "most people I have met that call themselves Christians", but once again it's an important distinction. And third, someone who "uses Christianity as a way to gain social acceptance and approval" is what I call a modern-day Pharisee and quite likely not actually a Christian at all, since that kind of behavior is directly opposite to the teachings of Christ.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Costrin, what we are getting into now is errors in our translations. There are no errors in the original text. Every seemingly contradiction has no effect whatsoever on the main doctrine. Also, some of those contradictions listed on that one the SAB are erroneous. The sections of the bible that they say contradict each other don't in any way.

In regards to some of the numerical "errors" there are mistypes in copies of the bible just like any other book. the difference between 10,000 and 100,000 is just a little dot on the paper. We could easily mistake an ink blot for that dot. We have copies from all over that we use to translate. Take a class on textual criticism and get back to me.

They copies are not inspired only the original. It's my belief that I could burn a bible and it wouldn't matter because it's not the inspired text.

I wish people who did these things would take a formal logic class or two because some of their arguments make no sense at all.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."