User Tag List

First 31394041424351 Last

Results 401 to 410 of 849

  1. #401
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    The bible is rather specific about what kind of faith brings salvation. In fact the bible is full of good examples. No faith warrants salvation. Faith brings salvation.
    I'm rather skeptical when it comes to claims like these. Everyone says the bible says different (contradictory) things. How does one determine which is true or not (and reading the bible doesn't help, as how do you determine which passages are metaphor, which are not, if any, and how do you interpret the metaphors)?
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  2. #402
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Do I scare you?
    Well, which category do you fall under?

    If you are a hardcore Christian, then, as my previous post (more than) alluded to, absolutely, yes, you scare the shit out of me. But, if you are just a moderate or mild Christian, then there's a 15 to 35% chance that you won't/don't scare me.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  3. #403
    Senior Member Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI
    Posts
    733

    Default

    I would say I'm HARD CORE. But yet I'm also understanding. My beliefs are important to me and I believe my God can do anything. I pray. I'll admit it. I study my bible. I focus my life around Christ. It just makes me different. Makes me who I am. I have my faith and although I believe it's right, everyone has that ability to make a choice. I am not going to force it. I might encourage my beliefs, but being a jerk about is no way to get someone to agree with you. I respect others beliefs and even though I might not agree, I function fine with them. In many ways I try to be the meaning of loving your neighbor. I am intolerant of the beliefs that I feel are wrong yet I tolerate the people and I still respect the fact that they have a right to choose no matter how I disagree with it. All I can do is state my views, live my testimony, and pray for them. The fact that those people matter is why I don't typically bash their beliefs. My comments towards others should be more friendly. I shouldn't be attacking anyone. Christianity as I see it appears on the outside to be full of contradictions in how to treat people vs. how the world works. Yet I find from the inside that together they make perfect sense.

    Do you think you catch my point of view?
    Last edited by Eagle; 03-13-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    - Caleb

    "I am what I need to be..."

    "Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

  4. #404
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Hmm, you might be one of the good Christians, (they're incredibly rare, for I find that most Christians are inherently highly hypocritical, immoral a-holes who use Christianity as a way to gain social acceptance and approval).

    So, yeah, I might not be scared of you.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  5. #405
    Senior Member Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    I'm rather skeptical when it comes to claims like these. Everyone says the bible says different (contradictory) things. How does one determine which is true or not (and reading the bible doesn't help, as how do you determine which passages are metaphor, which are not, if any, and how do you interpret the metaphors)?
    For me everything has to be taken in context and scripture needs to be interpreted by scripture. I believe in a literal translation. If it sounds figurative it is and vis versa. The main points in this case are rarely if ever disputed. because to misinterpreted them you have to go to such drastic extremes.

    Metaphors, such as parables are interpreted right then and there by the person telling the story or the context they are told in. As far as prophesies I know what sounds literal and I take it at that. For the figurative parts I cross reference and besides that, I'll know what it means (if its not interpreted in the text) when it happens.

    The Bible only says contradictory things when people misinterpret it.
    - Caleb

    "I am what I need to be..."

    "Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

  6. #406
    Senior Member Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Hmm, you might be one of the good Christians, (they're incredibly rare, for I find that most Christians are inherently highly hypocritical, immoral a-holes who use Christianity as a way to gain social acceptance and approval).

    So, yeah, I might not be scared of you.
    I hate hypocrites (not the people just them being hypocritical; which is hard to explain in some ways).

    Walk the walk, don't just talk the talk. It's the actions that define you. The rest is just air.
    - Caleb

    "I am what I need to be..."

    "Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

  7. #407
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    For me everything has to be taken in context and scripture needs to be interpreted by scripture. I believe in a literal translation. If it sounds figurative it is and vis versa. The main points in this case are rarely if ever disputed. because to misinterpreted them you have to go to such drastic extremes.

    Metaphors, such as parables are interpreted right then and there by the person telling the story or the context they are told in. As far as prophesies I know what sounds literal and I take it at that. For the figurative parts I cross reference and besides that, I'll know what it means (if its not interpreted in the text) when it happens.

    The Bible only says contradictory things when people misinterpret it.
    Different things sound figurative/literal to different people. The problem of interpretation is immense.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  8. #408
    Senior Member Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Ohh always. That's why scripture interprets scripture. It's the one set thing we have regardless of our views. Though ultimately we still decide how we want to see things.
    - Caleb

    "I am what I need to be..."

    "Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

  9. #409
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    For me everything has to be taken in context and scripture needs to be interpreted by scripture.
    Ah, context. Another thing that everyone disagrees on. What is the correct context (and there's people who claim that everything in the bible can stand alone without context)?

    I believe in a literal translation. If it sounds figurative it is and vis versa.
    And how does one determine what sounds figurative or not? Everyone is gonna have different ideas on this too. Plus, it likely depends on which version you're reading also.

    The main points in this case are rarely if ever disputed. because to misinterpreted them you have to go to such drastic extremes.
    Which people do. :P

    Metaphors, such as parables are interpreted right then and there by the person telling the story or the context they are told in.
    And even assuming you get the context right, how does one know if they interpreted the metaphor correctly?

    As far as prophesies I know what sounds literal and I take it at that. For the figurative parts I cross reference and besides that, I'll know what it means (if its not interpreted in the text) when it happens.
    You may know, but so do thousands of other people. And they disagree with you.

    The Bible only says contradictory things when people misinterpret it.[/QUOTE]

    It seems very easy to misinterpret it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    I would say I'm HARD CORE. But yet I'm also understanding. My beliefs are important to me and I believe my God can do anything. I pray. I'll admit it. I study my bible. I focus my life around Christ. It just makes me different. Makes me who I am. I have my faith and although I believe it's right, everyone has that ability to make a choice. I am not going to force it. I might encourage my beliefs, but being a jerk about is no way to get someone to agree with you. I respect others beliefs and even though I might not agree, I function fine with them. In many ways I try to be the meaning of loving your neighbor. I am intolerant of the beliefs that I feel are wrong yet I tolerate the people and I still respect the fact that they have a right to choose no matter how I disagree with it. All I can do is state my views, live my testimony, and pray for them. Yhe fact that those people matter is why I don't typically bash their beliefs. My comments towards others should be more friendly. I shouldn't be attacking anyone. Christianity as I see it appears on the outside to be full of contradictions in how to treat people vs. how the world works. Yet I find from the inside that together they make perfect sense.

    Do you think you catch my point of view?
    On the other hand, I agree and respect this view. People are free to believe whatever they want, and I have no problem with it, as long as they don't try and force it upon others. Laisez-faire and all that.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  10. #410
    Senior Member Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI
    Posts
    733

    Default

    As far as the metaphor goes for parables and the like, it's the author or speaker of that metaphor that is interpreting it.

    For context I mean context of the text. Of the times is good, but it's not essential to the main points.

    People are always going to screw things up one way or another. There is no set way. God's revelation is important to understand the bible to begin with. *My opinion.

    So, what's literal to me and not I leave up to God. I make sure my thinking is right just like you might by comparing it to other sources and using logic. Beyond that it's beyond me.

    Prophesies are always easier to see the meaning of after they happen. So thousands of people might disagree with me and that is their right, but everything is clearer in hindsight.

    Is not everything easy to misinterpret? In fact in one way or another everything is misinterpreted.
    - Caleb

    "I am what I need to be..."

    "Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

Similar Threads

  1. What's your favorite font?
    By proteanmix in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 12:56 AM
  2. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM
  3. What's Your Shoe Size??
    By FranG in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 10:18 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO