veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ Yes, point being, all kinds of insulting and condescending speech goes unpunished here; just because it doesn't contain overtly vulgar wordings doesn't mean it's not insulting.
    You're kidding, right? This forum contains more overtly vulgar wordings than any other I've been a member of.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm a great admirer of Christ's teachings and believe that much of his message is a great guide for living. Am I therefore a Christian?
    I don't know. Are you?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I don't know. Are you?
    I don't usually describe myself that way. I was just curious what the definition of Christian is.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    As Geoff says, you have no way of knowing this because punishments/consequences are kept private.
    No, but I'm familiar enough with the forum rules and with the posting habits of certain people to know that if they were truly enforced consistently, some people who are still here would certainly have been banned by now.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

I'm a great admirer of Christ's teachings and believe that much of his message is a great guide for living. Am I therefore a Christian?
    There are many different descriptions of Christianity and based upon your denomination each person views it differently. For me a Christian is someone who is "born again" and "spirit filled." I'm not so touchy on the details, but it is someone who believes that Christ came to earth perfect, took upon the sins of the world, died for all, rose again in three days, conquering sin. A Christian is someone who puts their faith in Christs teachings and believes that that the only way to heaven is through faith in His grace. Beyond that, it gets rather hard and detailed to be specific.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Most Christians would say no, admiring Jesus does not make you a Christian. Baptism is usually involved, and that comes with certain ritual declarations either made by you or made by your parents on your behalf in the case of infant baptism (which some Christians believe in and some don't).

But I would not take it upon myself to tell you whether or not you are a Christian. That's between you and God.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I am...

Default The Seven Sacraments in the Noosphere

Most Christians would say no, admiring Jesus does not make you a Christian. Baptism is usually involved, and that comes with certain ritual declarations either made by you or made by your parents on your behalf in the case of infant baptism...
    Yes it's interesting, Baptism is a sacrament.

And it is probably fair to say that over the last two millennia that Christianity has been based on the seven sacraments.

But today it is also probably fair to say that not many of us can even name all of the seven sacraments.

Of course the seven sacraments were based on our spoken culture, while, since 1440, our culture has been increasingly based on literacy.

And literacy has given us everything we take for granted today. And it has even given us the sin of literalism.

And when you apply literalism to the sacraments they start to make no sense and soon they are abandoned for a phony rationality.

This is a shame as the sacraments are deeply serious, beautiful and magical.

However we are now moving out of a literate culture into an electronic culture known as the Noosphere.

And interestingly electronic culture is very much like spoken culture.

So as we move from the literate culture into the electronic culture, the sacraments will regain their beauty and magic.

How lucky we are to be the first into the Noosphere.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Most Christians would say no, admiring Jesus does not make you a Christian. Baptism is usually involved, and that comes with certain ritual declarations either made by you or made by your parents on your behalf in the case of infant baptism (which some Christians believe in and some don't).

But I would not take it upon myself to tell you whether or not you are a Christian. That's between you and God.
    Fair enough. I know a fair number of people who call themselves Christians, however, that take most of the Bible (in some cases even Christ's physical existence itself) as a metaphor for greater wisdom. In other words, they don't actually believe that Jesus Christ had supernatural powers or rose from the dead or still exists literally outside the minds of followers.

Would these people be Christians?

Honestly, I'm not trying to needle you about this; I'm just genuinely curious as to what is required in order to claim Christianity. The more different, conflicting opinions I hear on this, the more I start to think the term "Christian" is meaningless because it's anything anyone wants it to be.

MBTI
    ENTJ

But you're gonna have to come to Jesus with this Coke v Pepsi talk. Pepsi is just heathen. Come on, now.
    Seriously. Coke is it, people. *crosses self in presence of Pepsi drinkers*

Simulated - I wouldn't consider you a Christian. For me, for someone to be a Christian they have to, like you said, believe in some kind of supernatural/God-type being.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker