User Tag List

First 614151617182666 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Really, if you know the history of modern secularism, you know that it is a solution to Christian denominationalism.

Of course the conventional wisdom poses secularism in opposition to religion.

And oddly enough many of the religious pose religion in opposition to secularism.

But both sides are ignorant of the secular settlement of Christian denominational warfare.

In fact your Constitution and mine enshrines secularism to protect religious freedom.

So, of course, you are quite right in New Orleans.
    Yes, but there's also a difference between secular systems that do not favor one religion over another, and those which effectively prohibit any role for religion in public life. There's a huge difference between secularism in the United States and that found in France, which has a much more militant (and in my opinion slightly oppressive) secular tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Sure they are.
    Trust me.

MBTI
    INTP

Unitarian.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Yes, but there's also a difference between secular systems that do not favor one religion over another, and those which effectively prohibit any role for religion in public life. There's a huge difference between secularism in the United States and that found in France, which has a much more militant (and in my opinion slightly oppressive) secular tradition.
    Yes, this is true. The secular Constitutions of France, the US and Australia are different. And they are different largely for historical reasons.

And each of us are, in our own way, secular polities that defend freedom of religion.

We have fought together for freedom of religion against the fascists, the communists and now the islamists.

It is just simply ironic that the father of MBTI, Carl Jung, was a voluntary fascist.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I worship santa. He is the creator of all and bringer of Coke.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

I am a Christian.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram

My worldview is somewhere between Theistic and Deistic (leaning towards the former). I was raised in a non-denominational Protestant Christian church, but I don't go to church anymore. I still consider myself to be a Christian, but I'm not really into the organized religion/going to church every Sunday thing.
    "Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform style of thought." -Einstein

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily weak people, in other words they stand no chance!" -Snape

Em. Female INTx and Proud of it. Left-handed Calligrapher. Writer. Scientist. Type Five Enneagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I am a Christian.
    Are you a politician or a Christian?

heart on fire

What's your religion?

I'm a clueless, lost child of the universe trying to find truth and yet hampered by my own human limits. I am trying to learn to accept this. Probably indentify with Gnostics the most, God can be felt but never known. This places me at odds with both religious and atheists and at a loss with agnostics. Believe in hollarchy more than hierarchy. That ticks a lot of people off if you mention this, just the mere word hollarchy.

Default A Judeo-Greek-Christian

What's my religion?

I have asked myself this and it seems to me to be a question of limits.

Being a mortal in 2008, what are my boundaries?

Where do I belong?

It is easier to say where I don't belong.

I don't belong to the Indian civilization. And I don't belong to the Chinese civilization.

Simply as a matter of fact, I belong to the Western civilization.

And as there has never been a civilization not based on a religion, on what religion is the West based?

The West comes from three sources - Judaism, Ancient Greece and Christianity.

So I am a Judeo-Greek-Christian.