• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religion... why?

MPP

MBTI Type
INTP
White supremacy is what the US is based on. Laws were made by and to benefit white, male, landowners from the very beginning. You right wingers can't fathom something not being an opinion and anyone else not sharing any of your revisionism.
Apart from supporting capitalism, most of my views would be more left leaning. Just not extreme left.

You will find thought-out history, slavery has been the rule, not the exception. The English were slaves to the Roman Empire. Many Arab nations were involved in the African slave trade 400 years before the trans-Atlantic slave trade, and still existed after the British Empire made the slave trade illegal.

MPP

MBTI Type
INTP
That is a patently fallacious oversimplification. So because Stalin expressed a collectivist view and committed mass atrocities, collectivist views cause mass atrocities. Come on.

I'm sticking with my original read...your unicorn concept of an all-encompassing tribal instinct is a specious defense of the atrocities committed in the name of religion.
Hitler was also a collectivist, and so was Mao. You can only justify genocide if you prioritise the group identity over the individual.

MPP

MBTI Type
INTP
White supremacy is what the US is based on. Laws were made by and to benefit white, male, landowners from the very beginning. You right wingers can't fathom something not being an opinion and anyone else not sharing any of your revisionism.
Something else to add. If America is so geared to benefit white Americans, then why is it that Asian Americans do better in education, and are higher earners than white Americans?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Something else to add. If America is so geared to benefit white Americans, then why is it that Asian Americans do better in education, and are higher earners than white Americans?
What does this have to do with laws? The majority of legislatures are white and male - they are the ones writing and passing laws, this has been the case from the beginning. I don't care about your bullshit red herring arguments, just try to stay on topic. Asian Americans take education seriously, white Americans, especially on the right, have a real distain for any education and educated people.

MPP

MBTI Type
INTP
What does this have to do with laws? The majority of legislatures are white and male - they are the ones writing and passing laws, this has been the case from the beginning. I don't care about your bullshit red herring arguments, just try to stay on topic. Asian Americans take education seriously, white Americans, especially on the right, have a real distain for any education and educated people.
The majority were white because it was a white majority country, obviously. Generalize much do we? Those far left Antifa activists seem really educated.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's because people are afraid of dying and all the horrible things that can happen to them in life. Placate these vengeful gods with worship and you might get on their good side, although they may make things hell for you, anyway.

There's also the afterlife which is a later innovation (as far as peasants are concerned, thought I'm simplifying a bit here), and the thing the afterlife does is promise you that you are going to get good things eventually as long as you worship and do what God wants. Even if you have a lot of things go wrong for you on Earth, there's always heaven. This change must be extremely useful in retaining followers; it gives the people who suffer misfortune a good reason to stick with it. For example, if you were crippled and made into a beggar because you can no longer harvest grain, you still have this sweet afterlife waiting for you. Another plus, being disabled is now something that can be blamed on the Devil. This is important because it means God gets to stay a great guy even though this is the world he created. Earlier, when there wasn't a Devil, God was responsible for those kinds of things. Presumably, this kind of thing would have interfered with his popularity. This is why you need a Devil to have a benevolent God. Otherwise everyone would always be grappling with the issue of theodicy (paraphrased: if God is so good, all-powerful, and all-seeing, why does evil exist?) because it would be too hard for anyone to ignore. "Wait, I thought God was good, and could see and do everything. So why did I break my wrist before I was about to have my first date with my crush? It turned out to be my one chance! I do all the things he wants me to do. Maybe he's not that good. " If you have a devil who you're constantly warning about in sermons and adding in all this additional lore about (since there's not actually that much about the dude in your holy book), only theologians have to worry about it. The poor romantic gets to blame it on the devil and not worry about it.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I learned all this from watching The Apple, btw.

It reminds me of Mad Sweeny in American Gods. He's discussing why he has gold and how he went from a king to a leprechaun.

"I was a king, once. "I was. Then they made me a bird. Then Mother Church came along and turned us all into saints, and trolls, and faeries. General Mills did the rest."