• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can we compare physics and psychology?

coberst

Libido is an energy source—Heat is an energy source—there is potential and kinetic energy

Emotion aka instinct is an energy source—

Narcissism is a force—gravity is a force—electromagnetism is a force—within the atom there are the strong and weak forces—there are four physical forces within nature. Narcissism is a force that displays itself in--self-absorption—self-love—sense of immortality—self-esteem—cosmic significance—self-importance—feeds on symbols, on abstract ideas of my own worth

Guilt is a feeling caused by outside resistance

Feeling—the mental experience of an emotion after the body has reacted to the emotion

Neurosis is the control of anxiety by restricting experience—the humanization process is neurosis in action

Anxiety is a feeling, the penalty for becoming human, i.e. for becoming self-conscious; it is not based on instinct but is based upon individual sense of helplessness.

Ego controls responses by delaying action

Hero—the world is a stage for heroism—our main task on this earth—man’s natural yearning for organismic activity, the pleasure of incorporation and expansion, fed limitlessly in the domain of symbols—we compare one another symbolically—we are ignorant of what we want and need, we disguise it in consumption as our badges—desire to be hero is natural and to admit it is healthy—need to make me, man, nation, etc, meaningful—our need for freedom is our need to be a hero—it becomes a blind-drivenness that burns us up—we must feel that what we do is heroic—crises is when youth does not feel heroic, we have a crisis of heroism—religion is no longer a stage for heroism—heroics is a central theme of human action

Culture is a symbolic action system for heroism—to give death its due is perhaps a step back that will permit a step forward—death is reality, when we repress it what happens?—

This is how our brain works. We think with the aid of past experiences. We use linguistic metaphors to give others a direction for understanding. Our brain uses conceptual metaphors this same way; automatically using conceptual metaphors. LIFE IS A JOURNEY. Automatically our brain “copies” what we already know about journeys that help us to better comprehend the task of living.

Abstract ideas are largely metaphorical.

An infant is born and when embraced for the first time by its mother the infant experiences the sensation of warmth. In succeeding experiences the warmth is felt along with other sensations.

Empirical data verifies that there often happens a conflation of this sensation experience together with the development of a subjective (abstract) concept we can call affection. With each similar experience the infant fortifies both the sensation experience and the affection experience and a little later this conflation aspect ends and the child has these two concepts in different mental spaces.

This conflation leads us to readily recognize the metaphor ‘affection is warmth’.

Cognitive science uses metaphor in the standard usage as we are all accustomed to but it also uses a new concept that you are unfamiliar with unless you have been reading this book. This new concept is called ‘conceptual metaphor’. Conceptual metaphor is the heart of this new cognitive science and represents what will be in my opinion the new paradigm of cognitive science.

In my example I speak of two separate mental spaces; one being the experience of being held and the other is the subjective experience of affection. The theory behind the ‘conceptual metaphor’ is that the structure of the sense experience can and is often automatically without conscious intention mapped into a new mental space.

The experience structure can be mapped into a new mental space and thereby becomes part of the structure of that new mental space. In this fashion these conceptual metaphors can act somewhat like atoms that join together to make a molecule.

SGCS (Second Generation Cognitive Science) has developed new and revolutionary theories regarding how cognition works. One way that it works is through metaphor, not just linguistic but also through conceptual metaphor. You ought to give it a study. You might be surprised how many things will become clearer.

I am a retired engineer; that is why I think using physics as an aid in comprehending the world I live in.

Mole

Permabanned

Psychology has no equivalent to relativity or quantum mechanics or fundamental particles.

Psychology has no equivalent to the periodic table.

Psychology has no equivalent to the origin of species.

Psychology is not even a science. It is called a 'social science'. And a social science is the kind of science you are having when you are not having a science.

Psychology is to science as astrology is to astronomy.

Or psychology is to science as alchemy is to chemistry.

Psychology comes from the Ancient Greek word, 'psyche', meaning 'soul'.

And there is no more evidence that the soul exists than Zeus or Poseidon.

Psychology is simply a secular religion.

And like religion, psychology is intuitive while science is counter-intuitive.

And like religion, psychology is belief without evidence.

And MBTI is our prime exhibit.

MBTI has the same truth value as astrology.

MBTI makes unverifiable claims for itself, like any religion.

And MBTI appeals to the gullible, manipulative and desperate.

So psychology is to physics as magic is to science.

Mole

Permabanned
Abstract ideas are largely metaphorical.

But what is a metaphor?

A metaphor is a comparison of relationships.

So a metaphor takes the form of -

A is to B, as C is to D.

Such as - "Psychology is to science as astrology is to astronomy",

Or, "psychology is to science as alchemy is to chemistry",

Or, "psychology is to physics as magic is to science".

But as this is cumbersome in English we usually shorten it right down to a simple comparison such as, "Psychology is magic".

This has the advantage of being felicitous but the disadvantage of disguising the structure of metaphor.

And what is fascinating is that no one has succeeded in writing a program that writes comprehensible metaphors.

So far, it is only homo sapiens that makes metaphors.

Some say we are meaning creating animals - but perhaps we should say we are makers of metaphor - we make metaphors, then metaphors make us.

coberst

Some say we are meaning creating animals - but perhaps we should say we are makers of metaphor - we make metaphors, then metaphors make us.

I think that you are on the mark. 'Metaphors make us' is a pretty good metaphor it seems to me.