• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Death is Freedom

metamorphysics

MBTI Type
INTP
A reply to the question: honestly, do you really want freedom?

Death is freedom, a state of being void of all thoughts and attachments...

Thoughts are but a reflection of your past state, attachments an entity bound to your future state, and together they enslave a person to a reality of nothingness where the best scenario is death and the worst a contemplation of suicide.

In death reality is neither bound to the past nor the future because neither one exists, in death your existence is reborn to a reality living in the present grasping that feeling that seemed to always torment you and slip from the fringes of your mind -- happiness; the feeling of well being; a state where the current mind is one with your surroundings and your instinctual desires depicted by these present entities; the oneness of self.

Only in death can one be free and only in freedom can one be happy. So, do I truly want freedom, you ask? I want it with every living breath that I make, every step that I take, and every fiber of my being that lights my existence; The only thing in life that is important enough to die for, on more than one level...

MBTI Type
INxJ
People can be happy without total freedom. In fact, some individuals wouldn't flourish without parameters. Religion is a good example. Not an absolute truth, but you can see how it might apply for certain followers. Perception will play a role for each individual.

As for me, I agree with your statement.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
pondered something along these lines before

won't get into it

what's the use of freedom if you're dead though? :tongue:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If I wasn't so afraid of death, I'd embrace it. I want that kind of freedom.

I know the cage you speak of all too well.

D'Artagnan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would assert that death is the complete lack of freedom. A constant state, unmoving, unchanging, static and without end. It is like claiming that a prison is the only freedom, a state free of choice and possibilites. Perhaps though it is merely the defintion of freedom where INTp and ENTp differ :smiley_violin:

The epitaph of Alexander the Great:

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough" :worthy:

The quintessential ENTp epitaph:

"Out of options" :newwink:

Qre:us

Thoughts are but a reflection of your past state, attachments an entity bound to your future state, and together they enslave a person to a reality of nothingness where the best scenario is death and the worst a contemplation of suicide.

In death reality is neither bound to the past nor the future because neither one exists, in death your existence is reborn to a reality living in the present grasping that feeling that seemed to always torment you and slip from the fringes of your mind -- happiness; the feeling of well being; a state where the current mind is one with your surroundings and your instinctual desires depicted by these present entities; the oneness of self.

Only in death can one be free and only in freedom can one be happy. So, do I truly want freedom, you ask? I want it with every living breath that I make, every step that I take, and every fiber of my being that lights my existence; The only thing in life that is important enough to die for, on more than one level...

Buddha would docilely challenge you to step off that ledge and embrace Nirvana.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Death can't be freedom

Who wants freedom: It's the I.
At the death, the "I", temporal dimension disappear. It doesn't travel in time anymore and as a dynamic state ceases to exist. So therefore the I will never get freedom in death because there's no I anymore to begin with.

metamorphysics

MBTI Type
INTP
Death can't be freedom

Who wants freedom: It's the I.
At the death, the "I", temporal dimension disappear. It doesn't travel in time anymore and as a dynamic state ceases to exist. So therefore the I will never get freedom in death because there's no I anymore to begin with.

yes, but that is only in context of physical death... whereas i was refering to a metaphysical death. Death can be freedom, if the being of your existence is conditioned by lack of freedom and the transformation brings freedom.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
yes, but that is only in context of physical death... whereas i was refering to a metaphysical death. Death can be freedom, if the being of your existence is conditioned by lack of freedom and the transformation brings freedom.
You assume that the lack of freedom can be resolved by the passage of living to death.
Cancelling the problem out isn't solving it.

What you do is saying that
X+1=3, so if you can't have 2 to make the equation correct you multiply both the equation and the result by 0. get 0 on both side and call it a day.

(weaaak)

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

If that's your definition of death, I'm warning you now it probably won't happen.

People like to assume they know what death is going to be like without needing empirical evidence. What little empirical evidence there is suggests you will reborn again and again for eternity, assuming "you" are roughly the arrangement of particles you currently are. (Ever expanding space and time, and the fact that particles seem to appear and disappear randomly in a vacuum = all kinds of possibilities happening over and over again. Of course this is a massive extrapolation because who knows what subtle laws may have start to have a significant effect a googolplex years in the future)

The best way to describe our perception of death is like a door which people go through and don't seem to come back. For some reason the people who haven't gone through the door make all sorts of assumptions, claims, arguments etc and then go on to debate them, when they seem to admit at the same time that we need empirical evidence to know or have any ideas about these kinds of things.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The OP assumes that, in death, there is a state of being to speak of. Remember what it was like to be before you were born? I imagine it might be like that.

So, freedom, in any sense of the word, could very well only take place during life.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Remember what it was like to be before you were born? I imagine it might be like that.

My first imagining was that it was a void, rather like the OP.

My second imagining was that of random experiences due to subtle energy fluctuations somewhere that mimic our own minds (probably made more vivid by the lack of other stimuli). A materialistic viewpoint that accepts qualia to exist, which might be slightly contradictory.

My third imagining was that I have no idea.

I suppose the most important question regarding the nature of death and post-death is 'what is it exactly that is dying?'

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

My second imagining was that of random experiences due to subtle energy fluctuations somewhere that mimic our own minds (probably made more vivid by the lack of other stimuli). A materialistic viewpoint that accepts qualia to exist.

I suppose the most important question regarding the nature of death and post-death is 'what is it exactly that is dying?'

technically everything that made up ur body cells\structure is different from the guy you remember from a few years ago. So we're probably just more or less only existing in the present\near present and, in the best case disolve like:
Time -1: 1 = <1>
Time 0: (now): 1 -0,5=0.5 + a new 0.5 = <1>
Time 2 : 1-1=0 T0(0,5)+a new 0.5 = <1>

So we're just people remembering about somebody else and convinced we are that person.
And that present self disappears as a weave spreading through space into infinity.
One day another total stranger will remember being the present you.

So if you want to die and end up free.. don't worry, just wait.

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Many a time have I pondered this... ;) I think that death can be a kind of freedom, but only with the existence of thought, however paradoxical. I'm not really referring to any kind of mystic afterlife, just pure mind, akin to the Star Trek "noncorporeal being"; the ultimate in human evolution [think Q and protégé Captain Picard]. And EcK, good mathematical analysis.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

My second imagining was that of random experiences due to subtle energy fluctuations somewhere that mimic our own minds (probably made more vivid by the lack of other stimuli). A materialistic viewpoint that accepts qualia to exist, which might be slightly contradictory.

What's the reasoning that would lead you to imagine that we will have the facilities required for consciousness after death?

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

How do you know? Maybe death is a writhing agony extinguished only by rebirth.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
If that's your definition of death, I'm warning you now it probably won't happen.

People like to assume they know what death is going to be like without needing empirical evidence. What little empirical evidence there is suggests you will reborn again and again for eternity, assuming "you" are roughly the arrangement of particles you currently are. (Ever expanding space and time, and the fact that particles seem to appear and disappear randomly in a vacuum = all kinds of possibilities happening over and over again. Of course this is a massive extrapolation because who knows what subtle laws may have start to have a significant effect a googolplex years in the future)

The best way to describe our perception of death is like a door which people go through and don't seem to come back. For some reason the people who haven't gone through the door make all sorts of assumptions, claims, arguments etc and then go on to debate them, when they seem to admit at the same time that we need empirical evidence to know or have any ideas about these kinds of things.

+ 10
"Amen" to that.

metamorphysics

MBTI Type
INTP
I Do not mean physical death(necessarily).

I define death as this: The end of a certain state of being where one is free(or not). When i used "death"(in the OP statement) i am specifically referring to the ending of the state of being where one is not free.

You assume that the lack of freedom can be resolved by the passage of living to death.
Cancelling the problem out isn't solving it.

If the definition of "the passage of living to death" is: the cancellation of freedom, or the gaining of freedom... than it is not a "problem", it is an essence of being, it just is. So that "assumption", as you put it, is true seeing as i was the one defining X phrase and not you.

I added cancellation of freedom because, assuming your state of being is free, than "death is not freedom but rather the loss of". When i stated "death is freedom" than literally this is a flawed statement especially if your life is already free, the statement is, however, under the assumption your state of being is not free thus making it a "true" statement.

Do not take the value of a phrase literally, b/c it is only a representation of the "form" of thought of that individual and not the literal form in its existence.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I Do not mean physical death(necessarily).

I define death as this: The end of a certain state of being where one is free(or not). When i used "death"(in the OP statement) i am specifically referring to the ending of the state of being where one is not free.

If the definition of "the passage of living to death" is: the cancellation of freedom, or the gaining of freedom... than it is not a "problem", it is an essence of being, it just is. So that "assumption", as you put it, is true seeing as i was the one defining X phrase and not you.
Oh I see
So I'll define Unicorns as 2 wheeled vehicules and say they exist.

Great, I'm a genius. (yawn) I can prove anything too.
What you just did is called sophism. The art of empty logic.

Read some plato for a try. Most of it is good, and you can find some great example of what you just did there in the dialogues