• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Synchronicity

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The past couple of weeks or so, I've been noticing that I have a tendency to look at the clock just as it is showing one digit. I seem to have a tendency to see 2:22, 3:33, 4:44 and 11:11.

I haven't been checking my post count recently, but my just previous post concerning The Autobiography of Malcolm X was my 666th post. Is this because I am a white devil?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i do too...and always 4:44 and i heard someone say that was a bad luck number once and it meant something bad that i can't remember anymore...but...whatever...i don't think i care...i like to make a wish...for fun...i think it's lucky.
d3113c5bb24a221a98f8864a18486924.gif

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
i do too...and always 4:44 and i heard someone say that was a bad luck number once and it meant something bad that i can't remember anymore...but...whatever...i don't think i care...i like to make a wish...for fun...i think it's lucky.
d3113c5bb24a221a98f8864a18486924.gif

In Mandarin Chinese, 4 is an unlucky number because it sounds like the word for "die."

Is it always the same clock? I'd get rid of that clock if I were you.

It has anger issues.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
This is easily explained by confirmation bias - you tend to only remember looking at the clock when your "OH SHITZZLE" alarm goes off in your brain, making you think the event is less probable than it really is.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
This is easily explained by confirmation bias - you tend to only remember looking at the clock when your "OH SHITZZLE" alarm goes off in your brain, making you think the event is less probable than it really is.
Yes, but it's been happening more than usual lately.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In Mandarin Chinese, 4 is an unlucky number because it sounds like the word for "die."

It has anger issues.

that's it! that's what it was! but they said it could also mean change...the death of something...but it was usually considered bad.

at this point i think it's just some crazy intuition telling me when to look at the clock at that time.

can i ask off topic for a sec...kinda related...when i hang up my clothes...i always just run and grab some hangers and it always turns out it's the right amount...always! why's that?

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ

It has anger issues.

So the clock is telling me "Die, die, die!"

Hahahaha.

Mole

Permabanned
The past couple of weeks or so, I've been noticing that I have a tendency to look at the clock just as it is showing one digit. I seem to have a tendency to see 2:22, 3:33, 4:44 and 11:11.

I haven't been checking my post count recently, but my just previous post concerning The Autobiography of Malcolm X was my 666th post. Is this because I am a white devil?

Synchronicity is wonderful.

'Cause synchronicity is painless, it brings on many changes, and I can take or leave it as I please.

Synchronicity turns off our worrying mind and turns on our creative mind.

It enables us to see things we would not otherwise see.

Some call them delusions but I - I call them visions.

But be careful, for just as a sugar baby will dissolve in the rain, synchronicity dissolves in Statistics.

Statistics are the very devil for synchronicity.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Usually it's 11:11 or 1:11 that I notice, I think I have the tendency to expect those times to be on the clock when I look at it... I remember when I was younger I would try to guess the time before I looked at a clock, still do sometimes,... Usually I'm right, other times I'm off by a few minutes. Could it be that I have a strong perception of time?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U"]Hocus Pocus[/YOUTUBE]

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Usually it's 11:11 or 1:11 that I notice, I think I have the tendency to expect those times to be on the clock when I look at it... I remember when I was younger I would try to guess the time before I looked at a clock, still do sometimes,... Usually I'm right, other times I'm off by a few minutes. Could it be that I have a strong perception of time?

i do this too!! all the time.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Lets see explores this idea a bit.

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events that are causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner. To count as synchronicity, the events should be unlikely to occur together by chance.

The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by their meaning. Since meaning is a complex mental construction, subject to conscious and subconscious influence, not every correlation in the grouping of events by meaning needs to have an explanation in terms of cause and effect.

Is this confirmation bias...according to Occam's razor, positing an underlying mechanism for meaningfully interpreted correlations is an unsupported explanation for a "meaningful coincidence" if the correlations may alternatively be explained by simple coincidence.

The amount of meaningful coincidence which one expects by random chance is higher than most people's intuition would lead them to believe, an observation known as Littlewood's Law.

The term synchronicity is coined by Jung to express a concept that belongs to him. It is about acausal connection of two or more psycho-physic phenomena. This concept was inspired to him by a patient's case that was in situation of impasse in treatment. Her exaggerate rationalism (animus inflation) was holding her back from assimilating unconscious materials. One night, the patient dreamt a golden scarab - cetonia aurata. The next day, during the psychotherapy session, a real insect this time, hit against the Jung's cabinet window. Jung caught it and discovered surprisingly that it was a golden scarab; a very rare presence for that climate.

111_3.jpg

So, the idea is all about coincidence: in this case, between the scarab dreamt by the patient and its appearance in reality. But this coincidence is not senseless, a simple coincidence. By using the amplification method, Jung associates in connection with the scarab and comes to the concept of death and rebirth from the esoteric philosophy of antiquity, a process that, in a symbolic way, the patient should experience for a renewal and vitalization of her unilateral personality, the cause of the neurosis she was suffering from.

Thus, a significant coincidence of physical and psychological phenomena that are acausal connected. Behind all these phenomena Jung places the archetype or the constellation of an archetype, which, in his view, is a process that engages equally objective manifestations, in the physical world, and subjective ones, in the psychological universe.

Is this like the subconscious mind expressing momentum swings that seem coincidentally unrelated yet are like a charter, a navigational piece for a sequence of events that converge to certain points in time according to what the subconscious is interpreting?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm glad I'm not crazy. Sometimes (not often), I'll wake up every hour at the same time during the night. i.e., 2:45, 3:45, 4:45. It's weird.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Lets see explores this idea a bit.

Is this like the subconscious mind expressing momentum swings that seem coincidentally unrelated yet are like a charter, a navigational piece for a sequence of events that converge to certain points in time according to what the subconscious is interpreting?

yea you make a good point, looking at the op and stuff I didn't really consider it as synchronistic, because it doesn't relate to anything else to have meaning, it's more of just a weird feeling they get from looking at the those times. I have had many synchronistic events happen though and it always seems like there was a purpose or meaning behind the events, you get the feeling that they were more than mere coincidences.