• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the qualities of a bad person?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I'm one of those people. I really don't believe in evil. Just selfishness and bad choices.

That point of view in of itself isn't necessarily a contributor for the evil actions of others.

As long as the bad deeds-or people - are not being totally excused by this and thus, ultimately overlooked. If there's something to "excuse" [explain] the maladaptive behavior.. that certainly ought to be recognized. And analyzed, so that we may work toward changing/preventing the causes, if possible...

heart

heart on fire
I guess I'm one of those people. I really don't believe in evil. Just selfishness and bad choices.

I believe there are people who simply make bad choices and are selfish, I believe these people to be too far over in either their thinking or feeling and thus have corrupt judgment upon which they base their decisions.

But I also believe that there are people so fundamentally different (the psychopaths and the socialized psychopaths) that place power over love and do not even operate at the same level as other human beings. There's no hope for them because they cannot even be motivated to want to change except simply what they can get away with for their own self survivial.

Before labeling you "one of those people" I'd have to see you bending over backwards to make excuses for evil in others.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
That point of view in of itself isn't necessarily a contributor for the evil actions of others.

As long as the bad deeds-or people - are not being totally excused by this and thus, ultimately overlooked. If there's something to "excuse" [explain] the maladaptive behavior.. that certainly ought to be recognized. And analyzed, so that we may work toward changing/preventing the causes, if possible...

When choices are hurting someone, then they need to be addressed. I just see evil as an arbitrary and subjective category. People should be judged for their choices, not for some alleged supernatural, innate quality that exists.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
There's no hope for them because they cannot even be motivated to want to change except simply what they can get away with for their own self survivial.

I would call those kind of people "pitiful" not evil.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When choices are hurting someone, then they need to be addressed. I just see evil as an arbitrary and subjective category. People should be judged for their choices, not for some alleged supernatural, innate quality that exists.

Agreed.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp

I don't see evil as supernatural, I see it as a word to describe something.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You could be the biggest bleeding heart ever and rationalize evil behavior to the point of absolving "evil-doers" of any responsibility, but still support them being locked up. No one wants a murderer on the streets. They just might not want to the one who personally condemns them.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Wow, what a difficult question.

"Bad" is when a person exhibits behaviour that we as a society and culture have agreed is bad. The actual symptoms might be selfishness, sadism, and other s's.. but the definition depends entirely on the beholding culture.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
someone who has no regard for someone else's feelings whatsoever.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
A bad person is someone who has a different value set, than you do.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't believe there is such thing as a bad person.

Bad actions, yes, but not bad person.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I wouldn't necessarily use the term "bad", but arrogant people are on my "If I was a serial killer..." list

ha
ha
ha

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Would you care to explain your logic?

I don't think that I am entirely in this category.

people who do things knowingly that would hurt others all the time and don't care a bit about it...i think they're called sociopaths, right?

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
People who are cruel to animals or children. It takes a special kind of scumbag to hurt someone/something unable to defend itself.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah.. narcissists are jerkfaces. :thumbdown:
I've tried in RL to explain the idea of psychological egoism with regard to altruism... but then I'm told I'm a bad person to think that way, by the more sentimental folks.. Sigh.

That sounds interesting. Do we have a thread about this? I'd like to hear more.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I would call those kind of people "pitiful" not evil.

I've met a few of the kind of people described. Gratefully only a handful. But I've sometimes questioned whether they are actually "people" or not, their behavior/affect has been so far out of the scope of what I think of as human.

The kinds I'm talking about are not only "pitiful" they are also dangerous.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Reading this topic I'm starting to come up with the conclusion, that I'm a "Bad" person.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
You know how 'unbalanced' is a term for mental illness?

It's true.

I think clarity, balance, and the ability to understand other people's POVs and value them -- but not at the cost of yourself -- is essential to getting through life making the fewest and least egregious mistakes when it comes to other people.

People are 'bad' only in relation to each other. All things being *relatively* "equal" and outside the actual physical coercion, dictatorship, war, violence, etc. - a person can't suck you dry of your emotional reserves if you dont' let them.

I know this is getting a little off topic -- but I firmly believe people have to be accountable for the part they played in letting other people 'be bad' at their expense.