• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Church of MBTI

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We all borrow from each other's minds, that's not the problem. The problem is people try to explain EVERY LAST THING about themselves using only type theory. Your gender, culture, age, socioeconomic status are all stronger influences on your thoughts and behaviors, but type theory is so engaging that people will reach for it first and lastly when understanding themselves.

However, to answer your question, I don't think an MBTI "church" would be so far-fetched. There's so much unscientific literature out there about it that you might akin it to scientology.

Ugh I know! Gag me!

Mole

Permabanned
They say that the work of children is play.

And the purpose of play is to learn the distinction between imagination and reality.

Both imagination and reality are equally important, but for the sake of safety and sanity, it is a life task to learn the distinction.

If we fail in this life task, we can easily confuse imagination with reality - and this is called a delusion.

However when we know something is imaginary we can enjoy it for its own sake.

And imagination forms the basis for art and religion and even MBTI.

The only problem arises when the claim is made that something is part of reality.

And it is then we reality test the claim.

Unfortunately there are many beliefs which do not pass the reality test, but are still claimed to be reality.

And this is a tragedy because now these beliefs can't be enjoyed as imaginative or reality. So we lose both ways.

redacted

So what do you think ? Isnt it getting too far ?

Especially the posts by F types I read are pretty hard to swallow. Things like: "Dont worry I am just that way because I am NP".

Do you think, it makes for a healthy society, if everybody, who has got questions,justifies his actions through a concept, they havent really intrapersonalized themselves, but borrowed from another persons mind ?

Interesting contradiction.

---------

People definitely use MBTI as a justification tool. When someone isn't happy with their social environment, it's easy to say...well I'm an XXXX and they're all (1-x)(1-x)(1-x)(1-x)s, which is why THEY have a problem with me. It's not MY problem...

This is the whole reason so many proclaimed Ns have such a bias against so-called S types. And Is against Es. And Ps against Js and vice versa. And definitely Ts against Fs.

Silliness.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I still hold on to my belief. There are no N or S or T or F or whatsoever.

There are just humans. Any other analysis of the matter, I see myself as an excuse for not wanting to deal with the real shit or to compromise ones own beliefes to learn new ones from real life people.

I think, if I live my daily life knowing about a person that he is more of a S type. And then he will surprise me with an intuitive thing, because it is for example his third function. I could say, wow this happened because S is his first and N is his third.

But where does that get me ?

The actual explanation of N,S,T,F and whatsoever in MBTI was great. It was like a definition of an experience you made in life but couldnt put in words. But now whats next ? How to go on from here ?

Dwell on analysis with every person you meet, constantly acknowledging the system to yourself ?

Or live life as it is, bearing in mind that your way of seeings things actually DOES make sense and is not a starting sign of a mental illness.

I asked myself, why J types are on this site at all. I as an irrational man have a great need to understand why things are what they are, I am looking constantly for an interpretation of the ungraspable. But howcome that J types are here. Is it because they feel the same way I do or is it because they want to pinpoint everything so much down that there is finally an answer to everything. An unique explanation of things that explains the why, the how and the who, like MBTI.

I think its time to back off, when you are faced with a model to a thing that starts to take over your rationality and therefore begins to influence your sensing capability. I will never choose sides and that's because I want to know the whole story from left to right.

What if, for example, I start a conversation knowing about MBTI with someone who is far from knowing MBTI ? Cant it be then that I will never get a connection to him, because I am too high in the clouds ?

That's the thing I meant. How much is too much ?

redacted

You're using MBTI terms to trash MBTI. Doesn't make sense.

Types are not supposed to be predictive. They're supposed to be descriptive. That's ALL.

wolfy

awsm
picture.php

I don't know how anyone can use type to relate with others it just gets in the way.

It's only use is to reflect on yourself.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yeah everybody knows what is to be done. The question still remains, if it does happen when its needs to be done. You know, thats a 100 year old story...

So, merry christmas to you, I am out for today

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
So...apparently there should be rules in this forum to make sure you're not taking this stuff too seriously? What is the exact way to use this theory? Why are you using this theory? Do you even know your type?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
What if, for example, I start a conversation knowing about MBTI with someone who is far from knowing MBTI ? Cant it be then that I will never get a connection to him, because I am too high in the clouds ?

That's the thing I meant. How much is too much ?

I've had this fear with many things, but never had it realise. I actually notice MBTi can influence relationships because things are qualified on this basis. But with close friends and anyone I know, the connection overpowers any analytical sense anyway. How that differs for an ENTP I'm not sure...

Also on the F forum we take it a lot further in the wrong directions, but that is also because we tend not to logically justify things in life. Theories are theories. Reality is reality. A theory is a hypothesis about reality. And even if the theory fits, it is just a tool to get to the underlying truth or connect things. Human interaction stands clear from that. Not one thing about a person is defined by their MBTi type. I don't see other ENFPs and say they are the same. There are worlds of difference between us, but we have cognitive similarities. Go through and list two of them who are identical. I can't even think of two who I would group rather than see as individuals. And that is the reality of life, or at least for me. Everything is taken on its own merit. And to define it by a theory as incomplete as MBTi amounts to stupidity. But there is no reason to neglect the tools you have. And though MBTi is easily fallible, it is not without correlation. If is was a science experiment, I wouldn't draw a formula up from it, but I'd definitely claim there was some relationship above the random noise.