• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Slow Dance with Victor

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I fear you confuse tangent metaphor, with clarity in depth.

Victor's post is very clear, very accurate. But it's dense, because each word has a purpose, despite their subtle sense of irony. You can't skip any.

Placebo: What kind of books do you usually read? Maybe you simply aren't trained enough to read Victor's style?
Victor is a very fast thinker, considerably more erudite than the average poster here. And I would understand It's not always easy to follow his pace.

Perhaps I am not trained enough, but I find it unfortune that people must be trained to read a specific poster's posts. I have admitted that I am not prone to reading poetry, and I have indicated that I believe Victor's posts to be very poetic. So have I not already made this point anyway?

And it is also a matter of interest. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who tend not to read things that they don't find interesting or relevant or worth the effort.

Mole

Permabanned
Perhaps I am not trained enough, but I find it unfortune that people must be trained to read a specific poster's posts. I have admitted that I am not prone to reading poetry, and I have indicated that I believe Victor's posts to be very poetic. So have I not already made this point anyway?

And it is also a matter of interest. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who tend not to read things that they don't find interesting or relevant or worth the effort.

Blackmail understands that in wine there is truth.

So perhaps, dear Placebo, if you prime yourself with two generous glasses of a good red wine, and perhaps a nice cheese, you might find something in my posts.

But if you find nothing, at least you will have two delicious glasses of wine and a taste of cheese.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Blackmail understands that in wine there is truth.

So perhaps, dear Placebo, if you prime yourself with two generous glasses of a good red wine, and perhaps a nice cheese, you might find something in my posts.

But if you find nothing, at least you have two delicious glasses of wine and a taste of cheese.

See there is a slight beauty in your posts because it can be interpreted in many ways.

Wine or whine?

Wine = poetry in general, or your posts?

Two generous glasses of a good red wine and perhaps a nice cheese = a lot of poetry reading or 2 or 3 of your posts?

Having two generous glasses of good red wine and perhaps a nice cheese = having read a lot of good poetic stuff, or having trudged my way through some of your posts?

In any case, here I admit and reveal my great disability in understanding metaphor and I may one day decide to 'prime' myself in the study of it, but perhaps not soon.

In the case of the second interpretation, I have attempted to read many of Victor's longer more poetic posts and have not found much worth in it, in my eyes. They are unique, but they are, in a sense, just like any other's.

And in such a case, I will say, stop trying to pass your posts off as a fancy meal, because it is not.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
In the case of the second interpretation, I have attempted to read many of Victor's longer more poetic posts and have not found much worth in it, in my eyes. They are unique, but they are, in a sense, just like any other's.

And in such a case, I will say, stop trying to pass your posts off as a fancy meal, because it is not.

. . . ?

I think, Victor, that I will never find a compliment so endearing as one veiled in insult.

Threatened. By whom?

Not by you, Victor. You are the object.
Beware the subject.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, my dear Hmm, consider what I am doing.

I am being completely vulnerable in public and at the same time I am protecting myself.

I normally do this by entering a trance which allows me to be both vulnerable and protected.

So the first reason I would think of wearing a mask is to provide protection. But a mask would seem to be redundant.

So perhaps the mask might provide another purpose. Perhaps it is a dramatic purpose to draw attention to myself.

But I suspect it is to take attention off my naked face.

Also a mask makes the viewer more comfortable because they are no longer looking at a naked human being.

So without the mask I am being fully myself in public - and I am a threat to all those who wear the quotidian mask of everyday.

While with the mask I become another entertainer - and I entertain.

So it gets down to a choice between ecstasy and entertainment.

Which would you prefer?

Seeing you in the mask would make me more comfortable because I would not have to see your humanness. And if I can't see that you are human, then I can't go into an immediate trance along with you, as you said. You would simply become a performer or entertainer, which can provoke a trance but takes more time and is not guaranteed.

Mole

Permabanned
Seeing you in the mask would make me more comfortable because I would not have to see your humanness. And if I can't see that you are human, then I can't go into an immediate trance along with you, as you said. You would simply become a performer or entertainer, which can provoke a trance but takes more time and is not guaranteed.

Sure, there is the entertainment trance, such as we enter when we watch TV.

And there is the ecstatic trance, which we enter when we leave ourselves.

But when we leave ourselves, we are leaving our quotidian self - we are leaving our everyday self.

And the self we find in the ecstatic trance might be called, (dare I say), the Sunday self.

Ecstasy is reserved for Sunday.

Once we sought ecstasy in Church on Sunday but now we are homeless and must take ecstasy onto the streets.

And what a surprise it is to open the tabernacle in the Mall on a quotidian Tuesday.

What can they do but stand and stare?

MBTI Type
INxJ
I tend not to read 90% of Victor's posts simply because it's too notstraightforward. Many statements are made, which can only be interpreted as poetry, and I'm not a fan of that in general. When he goes on a metaphorical tangent I begin to lose my mind and patience. But perhaps this a fault of my own. I find his style quite poetic, but as I said, I am not a fan of reading poetry.

I have a totally opposite interpretation of Victor's posts. I do not see any "metaphor", or any "tangent", I find him refreshingly more straightforward and meaningfull than most shallow posters.

I can't stand poetry either.

However, I agree with Blackmail. Victor is incredibly straightforward. I believe Placebo lacks the attention span to appreciate Victor's posts.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I can't stand poetry either.

However, I agree with Blackmail. Victor is incredibly straightforward. I believe Placebo lacks the attention span to appreciate Victor's posts.

2281705.jpg

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure, there is the entertainment trance, such as we enter when we watch TV.

And there is the ecstatic trance, which we enter when we leave ourselves.

But when we leave ourselves, we are leaving our quotidian self - we are leaving our everyday self.

And the self we find in the ecstatic trance might be called, (dare I say), the Sunday self.

Ecstasy is reserved for Sunday.

Once we sought ecstasy in Church on Sunday but now we are homeless and must take ecstasy onto the streets.

And what a surprise it is to open the tabernacle in the Mall on a quotidian Tuesday.

What can they do but stand and stare?

You are right. It's an interesting idea. It reminds me of the effect some hobos have on people in public, like when they talk to themselves.

Mole

Permabanned
the ecstatic now

You are right. It's an interesting idea. It reminds me of the effect some hobos have on people in public, like when they talk to themselves.

In the Middle Ages hobos were called holy fools.

It was believed they were touched - touched by God.

But today hobos are usually given a double diagnosis - a mental illness and an addiction.

And just as we have dismissed Church on Sunday, we have dismissed holy fools in the streets.

Today we have banished the ecstatic from the external world, and relegated it to a small pill we call, "Extasy".

But the inner world preserves ecstasy, just as the monasteries preserved learning during the Dark Ages.

So the new Renaissance will come as a surprise when ecstasy dances very slowly in the streets.

In the ecstatic now.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I love how all of Victor's threads at one point become a discussion of his posting style. I dare someone to find an exception to this. It's fun because I used to hate Victor and his style. I even called him out a few times, I think, although I now regard that kind of thing as class-less and I regret it. I love Victor's posts now. It's not like I always agree with them, and sometimes I even find them difficult to take seriously, but he has real personality. His posts are poetic, and they often contain similar themes (i.e. global village, noosphere, Scots/English enlightenment, trance, duality, some kind of childhood memory, ending on an ambiguous question, ect... we even made a thread where we tried our hands at immitating this).

As for the original topic/post, I have nothing to say... it's one of those stories where when the person tells it you are just like "wow." :tongue:

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I do freak people out by dancing very slowly in public.

And I mean really slowly - so slowly I barely seem to be moving.

First people walking past seem to see nothing. Then they do a double take. Then they look away in embarrassment. Then they can't help glancing back until they are out of sight.

Of course when I am slow dancing, as I slow my movements my thoughts slow right along with them. Until my thoughts are barely moving - and I am in a middle to deep trance.

And the best way to put someone in a trance is to go into a trance yourself.

So those walking past are entranced by my trance.

They are freaked out.

Victor, I read this a few days ago and thought about it alot, as it reminded me of a dream I had a few months ago. In the dream a dance craze had swept the country, called "the do". (- Weirdly, the music of Sinn Sisamouth featured heavily.) This was paradoxical, as "the do" was more a "don't", involving nothing more than standing still. As was pointed out during the dream, "even if you don't do the do you can do the do". Time would become non-linear; and as no fancy moves were required, it was highly inclusive! All you had to do was stop "doing". Central to this was the fact it was epidemic and the slowing to a stop universal.

But I rather like your idea.

Cheers!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love how all of Victor's threads at one point become a discussion of his posting style. I dare someone to find an exception to this. It's fun because I used to hate Victor and his style. I even called him out a few times, I think, although I now regard that kind of thing as class-less and I regret it. I love Victor's posts now. It's not like I always agree with them, and sometimes I even find them difficult to take seriously, but he has real personality. His posts are poetic, and they often contain similar themes (i.e. global village, noosphere, Scots/English enlightenment, trance, duality, some kind of childhood memory, ending on an ambiguous question, ect... we even made a thread where we tried our hands at immitating this).
:

You are right. They are all variations on a theme. The theme is why this forum / MBTI in general sucks and why Victor, Master of esoterica, rocks.
He does grow on you though.... Like a slime mould.

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
Perhaps I am not trained enough, but I find it unfortune that people must be trained to read a specific poster's posts.

I do not agree with this opinion. Learning to fully understand the meaning in Victor's body of posts is no different and no easier than learning to see the meaning in another poster's consistently fluffy posts.