• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could you survive without spirituality?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
There is alot of talk about religious and spiritual topics here.
So I am asking could you manage to live your life without having to use spirituality and/or religion to help yourself in this life?

Also do you think that attacking other peoples convictions is rude and dangerous since you are destroying their platform.
This is only for spiritual people I already know what other side thinks about this.

If you could not survive without spirituality I would really be like that
someone elaborates this.

I would like to know why realizing that there is no purpose might destroy feeling? Elaborate.

Well if there is no purpose in a way that humans see it then rules of the game are changing.
To put it in short purpose is main engine for emotions and judge everything by your sense of purpose. But if there is no that expresed sense of purpose emotion starts to lose itself since strees is out of the game and all those depressive and suicidal thoughts as well. Since if there is not purpose there is no reason to kill your self and if you start to lose negative part the positive part will also take much damadge. In the end entire thing shifts more thowards T aproach to life.
Also if there is not someone who will always protect you, there is no way that this can go forever. There will be some drastic changes with time.
What means that we will have to change face of civilization complety if we want to survive in on a scale of forever. (if that is even possible)
By this I mean that machines take over the show in this case.
This is my reply in short.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I get this alot... people who almost view my spirituality and religion as a crutch however, I can honestly say that many times I have felt that if I didn't believe in the things I do my life would indeed be easier

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
some of the closet people in my life are atheists and it doesn't bother me a bit as long as they don't try to debate me on my beliefs...that i can't stand and i will get super hostile...it's just uncalled for shittiness imo.

i've been asked this question before though...and it's just really hard to put myself in that situation because it is who i am...my beliefs and life philosophy are who i am...so without it...i'm not sure who i would be...and my initial reaction would to be to say...a life without meaning and purpose is pointless so no thanks...but i suppose i would just find a new meaning...a different meaning and be fulfilled in a different way.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I get this alot... people who almost view my spirituality and religion as a crutch however, I can honestly say that many times I have felt that if I didn't believe in the things I do my life would indeed be easier

Then why do you try maybe you will like it?

I am just curious about why people put so much value in this.
What means that in the end they need a lot of energy to recover when someone attacks them successfully in this area.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I can live without religion, but I can't live without "spirituality"... or rather that certain religious feeling that one gets--a sense of the beauty and mystery of all that is. That's something that exists in me innately. To live without it, would mean extinguishing who I am.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ yeah...me too. i'm not religious at all actually...but very spiritual...and it's as much me as anything else is...to take it away would be for me to be someone else.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
You can't simply try not to believe something Antisocial... if it worked that way then you never really believed it in the first place... My spirit knows the truth yes I have tried to run away from my spiritual beliefs in the past but problem is they run with u...

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I'll also add that it can be rude and dangerous to attack other people's convictions, but it is true that not everyone's convictions are right. However I would only do it if they are attacking other people based on their convictions [e.g. in the case of people who hate on homosexuals because of what it says in the Bible]. I will also point out contradictions in other people's convictions if I find it necessary. But I am for the most part, not bothered to try to change someone else's beliefs.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right...i have never attempted to try and change someones views either. completely tasteless imo...it's an entirely different situation if someone asks because they are interested but...i cannot stand it when people try to act like their beliefs are superior.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Absolutely agree... I would never try to change people's ideas or disrespect their beliefs that would be very disrespectful of someon'e free will ... Of course I believe the things that I believe in and I don't believe some of the things that others do (Otherwise I would bleive them and not mine... if you get my meaning LOL) but I certainly don't see my beliefs as being superior that doesn't even come into it in my opinion...

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I was going to answer, "Yes I could survive without spirituality. That would be at the level of animals. Existing with no meaning and getting my basic needs for survival met." A hollow shell just feeding myself to continue with I know not what, but compelled to keep my physical self alive.

But then I remembered the burial rituals of elephants and realized that there is something deeply spiritual in that. I'm going to be thinking more about what evidences I see in the habits of the creatures.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think I could survive without any kind of spirituality (it seems I've managed so far :D), but hey, I'm a T, so I guess that doesn't count! :devil:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I was going to answer, "Yes I could survive without spirituality. That would be at the level of animals. Existing with no meaning and getting my basic needs for survival met." A hollow shell just feeding myself to continue with I know not what, but compelled to keep my physical self alive.

But then I remembered the burial rituals of elephants and realized that there is something deeply spiritual in that. I'm going to be thinking more about what evidences I see in the habits of the creatures.

But if someone turns this against you and says

That in certain way all the time you are just satisfing you animal needs by being spiritual and that by rejecting spirituality you are actually moving away form acting like an animal.

1. You are actually avoiding the question of mortality since you have survival instinct as every other animal on the planet but you are smart enough to see where everything is going.

2. You need to believe in good outcome since you can't stand that something could happen to you children (even natural death)

3. Actually what really make you different for other life forms is ability to be logical why not using this skill in its full strenght?

Would you be annoyed by that person?

In what I am interested in is how much pain you can cause in other person with acting like this. Even if this post looks like I am trying to do exactly that.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
So I am asking could you manage to live your life without having to use spirituality and/or religion to help yourself in this life?
Well, sure why not. I am not too much of a "spiritual freak", but neither am I "faithless". I mean I pretty much lived my life "without belief" the past weeks and months and it works. Tho, it is not as interesting as when you live with.

Also do you think that attacking other peoples convictions is rude and dangerous since you are destroying their platform.
Well, I guess it CAN be dangerous to destroy peoples believes. Especially for the ones that have "nothing else" than their faith. So I wouldn't do it. Unless you want someone to go suicidal on you maybe. But I rather not.

Personally I must say tho, that I don't like those "overspiritual people". But neither do I like the persons who go all berserk on you and would say "this is complete crap". I think people should let each other believe as long as no one gets hurt. *shrug*

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But if someone turns this against you and says

That in certain way all the time you are just satisfing you animal needs by being spiritual and that by rejecting spirituality you are actually moving away form acting like an animal.

1. You are actually avoiding the question of mortality since you have survival instinct as every other animal on the planet but you are smart enough to see where everything is going.

2. You need to believe in good outcome since you can't stand that something could happen to you children (even natural death)

3. Actually what really make you different for other life forms is ability to be logical why not using this skill in its full strenght?

Would you be annoyed by that person?

In what I am interested in is how much pain you can cause in other person with acting like this. Even if this post looks like I am trying to do exactly that.

yeah...i am actually curious about your motivation.
and...yes i would be annoyed and no you shouldn't do it.

what you may not realize is...the belief that there is meaning and purpose to life... is actually the most logical explanation to us/me.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4

Don't confuse ritual with spirituality. They're not the same. Even atheists bury their dead.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I would like to believe that we're more than just chemical reactions, but there's really no way to know.

When it comes down to it, isn't it all about maximizing pleasure anyways? The ultra religious are simply sacrificing this existence to earn brownie points for the afterlife.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
yeah...i am actually curious about your motivation.
and...yes i would be annoyed and no you shouldn't do it.

what you may not realize is...the belief that there is meaning and purpose to life... is actually the most logical explanation to us/me.

What are my motves?

Is not logical.
It can look logical but actually it is not so much when you get deeper in to things. But to get more deeper you need knowledge that is not exactly a mainstream information.

The thing is that NFs in this thread can't fully understand how it is like to be extreme T.
(and the other way around)
What actually changes the entire way how you see things.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the thing is...is that's it's not merely a part of my personality it is what influences my every thought...every action.

so...for you to understand...is to ask yourself what would be the same for you...and then inverse it...that's how empathy works.

so...to me it's the same...you have every right to feel the way you do..as do i...our views are equal and no one should challenge them.

you are essentially asking how we would feel without the thing that defines us...and that you can answer yourself.

you know what i mean? not bein snarky...just so you're clear. :)