• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

On the day you are due to die...

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
... a tortoise inches its way into your room. Tortoise? It's like a turtle. It makes no offers, it bears no gifts, it wears no pants. But, for no good reason, you now have an option:

you are now able, if you want, to leave your dying body and take up residence inside that of any other person currently living. Everything that you are will move with you to your new home. You will see through the new man's eyes, or feel with the new woman's hands, certainly you will breath with your new lungs' lungs. You will have the thoughts of this new body. You will suffer such of its misfortune and its joy as you choose. You may be a passenger, an unconscious guide or you may exercise complete control over the person. If you choose, you may even take his place entirely and live completely as yourself again. In any case this body, such as it is, will be your new home. There will be no penalty other than whatever events may transpire as would normally transpire in the life that is to follow. It's up to you how you make your choice and who you choose to replace.

What would you like to do?

Or perhaps, you are granted the ability to move from person to person, taking up residence for as long as you choose, exerting as much control as you may, and while present in that person, you will be able to experience every sensation, thought and feeling that person has and--assuming such is possible--you will be able to maintain your own identity.

Obviously, first port of call is a 19-year-old of the opposite sex to check out what really goes on when rubbing the rubbery parts, but after that...?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
wait, are we able to retain our current memories, thoughts etc ? cuz if not, you're going to die one way or another given that memory is essential for identity

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yep, you keep it all. You're you.

Think of it as dating.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i wouldn't have a problem changing bodies if that's what you're asking but what's the turtle's significance in this scenario...why does he have to be there?

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'll die, thank you (my retirement package is too wonderful for words.)

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Sure. I'd do it. I'd take over someone who's similar to me, and continue to live. Don't see a problem here. I might explore a few people's minds beforehand as well, just out of interest to see how other people think.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On one hand, it'd be cool to see how other people live. Really really cool.

On the other hand, being helpless is supposedly the worst thing in the world. And seeing without interfering sounds pretty helpless to me. The other option, of exerting control would feel pretty unethical. I've already lived my life- what right do I have to start controlling another person's?

So I have no idea. Is there a 30-day trial period option?

sade

Or perhaps, you are granted the ability to move from person to person, taking up residence for as long as you choose, exerting as much control as you may, and while present in that person, you will be able to experience every sensation, thought and feeling that person has and--assuming such is possible--you will be able to maintain your own identity.

I've wanted to try that, ever since I read David Mitchell's Ghostwritten.

I'd enjoy an afterlife like that if I were also able to communicate, should I wish to do so.
Something about the curiousity of seeing where things lead to etc.

Last edited:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I figure it'd be lonely as all hell.

You'd want to start interacting. I'd want to start experimenting.

Really faced with the situation I don't know if I could go through with it, but I think the best choice'd be kill off the person currently officially and rightly tenanting the body and take over.

Or torture them a bit. Push them around. Lead them into things they wouldn't do for themselves.

It really is a bit more like dating than I thought.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I've had enough of life, just let me die. Very uninterested in occupying others's bodies.

Didums

Although it would be interesting, I wouldn't take the opportunity because:

It would grow tiresome over time.
It would reduce the meaning of my own life experiences.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
hhmmm, agreed. I like the notion of this life sort of being it, it makes what I do now important within my own greater context. While being within someone else's mind would kind of be cool from my inquisitive perspective, the notion of not being me would be too overwhelming, how would I value success or failure?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I figure it'd be lonely as all hell.

You'd want to start interacting. I'd want to start experimenting.

Really faced with the situation I don't know if I could go through with it, but I think the best choice'd be kill off the person currently officially and rightly tenanting the body and take over.

Or torture them a bit. Push them around. Lead them into things they wouldn't do for themselves.

It really is a bit more like dating than I thought.

okay...did i misunderstand the question? you go into someone's body and they continue to live as them and you can observe but you're basically trapped?? totally misunderstood!! no...i wouldn't want that!! wth!! why would anyone want that!! no...i'll just die thanks.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'd do it.

Window shopping first. Basically visiting people for awhile, before choosing a permanent body to take over.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
How come it's only the INTJs noticed that you can take over? Everyone else is worrying about death of self? Pah!

The first issue is, do you kill off the original tenant? According to the set up, you can if you want. Or do you just boss them around--because you have the option of being an unconscious guide, see? You can override their will.

Second issue is, if you don't kill them off and start a new life for yourself, what'll you see, being able so intimately to watch what they do? And what'll it do to you?

All you busy extroverts are worrying about finding yourself so trapped?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...i mean if i'm just to be a witness to their life and i can't have one as myself anymore then screw it...no thanks...that's almost like saying if you could do nothing but watch tv for the rest of your life would you want to live...and my answer to that would also be no...if i had to be stuck somewhere w/o any interaction then i don't want it...and if i can take over their body...my mind not theirs then yeah i'd do it...i'm not that attached to my body but i don't want to live entirely in my head...i'd rather die because i believe in life after death so that alternative sounds better.