• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

On the day you are due to die...

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
K, 'nother thing with this dealio maybe you didn't notice is, it won't be TV...

You taste what they taste, have the sensation of feeling as they feel when they feel it, you can think their thoughts as your own if you like... Surround Sound + Sensorama and Smell-o-vision. Cum when they cum. But you're still you and can step back from it when you want to. And if having their sensations as they choose them isn't enough, if you so desire you can override their choices and lead them somewhere they wouldn't go by themselves.

But if you take over completely, the original owner of the body is snuffed out. You kill them.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I would actually. At least at first it'd be preferable.

Ya escape responsibility big time.

But after a while... not sure.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Question:

What happens if we were to continue this routine for millions of years until mankind has evolved into another sort of creature? (Assuming we don't destroy ourselves.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
K, 'nother thing with this dealio maybe you didn't notice is, it won't be TV...

You taste what they taste, have the sensation of feeling as they feel when they feel it, you can think their thoughts as your own if you like... Surround Sound + Sensorama and Smell-o-vision. Cum when they cum. But you're still you and can step back from it when you want to. And if having their sensations as they choose them isn't enough, if you so desire you can override their choices and lead them somewhere they wouldn't go by themselves.

But if you take over completely, the original owner of the body is snuffed out. You kill them.

okay...i see...well in that case i'd do it as like a weird extended vacation or something but i can't imagine that i would want to for a whole lifetime...maybe like 5 years at the most.

hmm...but after 5 years maybe i would become attached to them and their life...maybe i would have to stay...okay..i guess i'd do it...i'm all about new experiences and my after life life will still be there when i'm finished so sure.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Just figured out a drawback...

while such a relationship as this scenario would provide is the most directly intimate possible, it's one-way intimate. You as guest/resident/whatever are too much totally in the driver's seat.

Or are you?

If you led your host/victim/whatever to something you loved and made them take part, and as it so happened, you could directly feel their overwhelming disgust, or dislike or mere boredom and confusion... would you feel hurt? Rejected?

Because it's not going to be enough to sit back and watch what they do, is it?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
and no...it would be much cooler if it was a true merging of personalities and you shared an internal dialog and compromised your wishes...more of a back and forth.

that would be hella awesome. :)

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
And the whole deal pretty much begs the question, if you were walking down the street minding your own business and you came across a turtle, one of those thousand-year-old giant slow buggers, and it tells you, buddy, I got a soul needs looking after, can I slot her into your metaphysical USB for a while...

and the turtle fills you in on the deal, the soul will be intimately entwined with yours and sometimes it might change your decisions and it'll be holding your hands while you pee and probably some other stuff too...

Yea or Nay?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...but then we'd most likely be living the reality of a schizophrenic right?
i mean...i think it would be amazing...amazing if it was someone you loved and admired and were fascinated by...but pure torture if you despised them.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Complete control.
I'm not changing shells to have someone else live in it.

But this is a silly question.
Physics doesn't work this way.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
No wait. I changed my mind.
I would be the turtle.

Ownage.

You win the thread for actually thinking outside the box and proving the capacity of N's.

It seems like some people didn't read the entire post. You can have no, partial or complete control over their body. At first, I thought about the thought of killing the person inside the body. That was kind of tough, but then I saw a couple college girls walk by me and I don't feel bad anymore. What would Sylar do?

sylar2.jpg

The thought of picking another person to take over is too enticing, but the mere thought that there might be someone better to take over makes it sounds like I'm not making this body appealing enough. So, I'd have to go with someone's body that has qualities that I can't obtain on my own. Obvious choice would have to be a female.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Physics, pffft--

detailed enough MRI + complex enough software architecture, and hey presto, turtle's walking around saying, so you all thought you we're just monkey-boys, huh, well think again, ya sorry-assed, earth-bound, lamer emulations! Pity you fooz. Pitied ya yesterday, I'll pity ya tomorrow too.

Metaphysics, however...

What's a "feeling"? What's a "thought"? Can you have someone else's?

Ya can't actually. If you have it, it's yours, even if it's a copy of someone else's.

But someone else might be driving the system that produces that feeling for you, and then you'd be getting a feeling you might not have access to just by your lonesome... so...

Would you choose too?

MBTI Type
INxJ
I would kill off the original tenant after I made sure the body was healthy. I have no interest in sharing space or seeing what another person would do while I inhabited them.

Question:

What happens if we were to continue this routine for millions of years until mankind has evolved into another sort of creature? (Assuming we don't destroy ourselves.)

Interesting point. I originally thought it would be best to hop from human to human, after each body reached an expiration date.

It's really difficult to determine what kind of evolution would take place, because there's nothing concrete about what exactly is being transferred. If I was going to take over a body, what about me is actually taking it over. My mind? Is there a such thing as a soul? Who knows. Seems too intangible to predict.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Who says the tortoise offers this gig to just anyone?

But if you want to go all hypothesizing the real reality that'd come if... well:

People are born, brains are finite, computation isn't a mystery, the eventual development of hardware complex enough and suitably architectured to host and sustain the independent function of a mind is.... impossible?

And someone's going to get sick and be about to die, and they'll change their will, putting all their money into a project that copies himself freely and fully into an AI.

And once that starts happening with any regularity, then not one, but every single damn company in the biz will absolutely and totally invest billions in AI "highs"--software for an adrenaline rush, crack for computers, "Climax<tm>" will totally be the first product off the shelves...

And then someone's going to make an interface tool...

And then... what'll you chose?

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
ARGHHH!!!!! NO!!!!!!!! Who wants to live forever....

Me? Assuming I have the option of dying if I want to. It'd be pretty cool I think, especially if you also don't age physically. (Looking like a 30000 year old person would get pretty s***ty.)