• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Suspension Bridge

Mole

Permabanned
Disbelief is not possible unless belief comes first.

And the suspension of disbelief is not possible without first belief, then second, disbelief.

Believers tend to hate disbelievers; and disbelievers tend to hate belieivers; but the suspension of disbelief makes civilization possible.

Believers need to know that they are only part of the trinity; and disbelievers need to know they are also only part of the trinity of belief, disbelief and the suspension of disbelief.

And those who suspend disbelief need to know that civilization rests on their shoulders.

Civilization is a suspension bridge between belief and disbelief.

Can you stand the suspense?

Mole

Permabanned
It's a son of a bitch, but life goes on.

It will stretch you.

The longer you can hold the supense, the more people will cross the bridge.

Build a bridge and the people will come.

The secular state is the perfect example of the suspension bridge between belief and disbelief.

It guarantees freedom of belief which means you can believe some religions and not others.

So the secualar state guarantees both belief and disbelief.

It is a miracle of construction. Imagine the most beautiful suspension bridge you know, and that is the secular state.

And you, Jack, are also a beautiful suspension bridge between the believers and unbelievers.

Without you holding both ends in suspension, we would not be able to cross from one side to the other.

Hang in there, mate.

Mole

Permabanned
The Work of Children

Also the work of children is play.

And the purpose of play is to learn the difference between imagination and reality.

And once the distinction between imagination and reality is perceived, the suspension of disbelief is possible.

And the suspension of disbelief makes all of art possible.

And as you know, the suspension of disbelief makes the secular state and freedom of religion, possible.

In fact the suspension of disbelief makes our civilization possible.

And so our civilization rests on the shoulders of children learning to play.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Our problem here is that our secular society is no longer responding with suspension of disbelief, but with disbelief, and thus we are sliding toward totalitarianism.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
After reading Vic's posts, does anyone have the urge to slap him and scream "just say it, already" ?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Disbelieve is the path to progress. People are resistant to change, naturally they back away from the cliff.

Suspension of disbelieve is what got them across? No really. More like the forest is already burning on one side, the other side across the bridge can be no worse. Nothing to do with disbelieving. Only what worked in the pass and might work in the future. Discomfort prompted their action, not suspension of disbelieve.

Of cause it helps to have some kind fellow build you a bridge. In the end though, if you're motivated, bridge or no bridge, you'll manage to scramble across.

Mole

Permabanned
After reading Vic's posts, does anyone have the urge to slap him and scream "just say it, already" ?

Everytime I press the Submit button, the screaming starts and I get slapped - first on the left side of my face, then on the right.

They scream at me that I am two faced - no, say the others, he is Janus faced. He speaks out of the left side of his mouth and the right side of his mouth at the same time - and then he snorts contempt at all and sundry out of his nostrils. He is truly beastly - and beastly to us.

And what can I do but plead guilty - it's my animal nature glaring at you out of my grey-green eyes - I am a meaning creating animal.

And it is the meaning you hate. "Just say it already", you scream at me.

But I am never ready. I am always caught off guard, reaching for something I can't quite reach.

If only I could mean what I say or say what I mean.

And as I reach up higher and higher for the book on the top shelf, you look up past me and see the title.

And it is, "The Meaning of Meaning", and you give an inarticulate cry of pain and horror.