• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

King James Bible

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
My mother would like a Large Print King James Bible. I've been to B&N and found several. The catch is, she says she's seen some KJ Bibles that use modern language instead of the original words. How can that be?

Are there any students of religion who can recommend a King James Bible with the words of Jesus in red that has large, easy to read print? Please be as specific as you can and also let me know what questions I should ask a clerk if you don't have it in hand.

O

Oberon

My mother would like a Large Print King James Bible. I've been to B&N and found several. The catch is, she says she's seen some KJ Bibles that use modern language instead of the original words. How can that be?

Are there any students of religion who can recommend a King James Bible with the words of Jesus in red that has large, easy to read print? Please be as specific as you can and also let me know what questions I should ask a clerk if you don't have it in hand.

Look for a Lifeway store. When you find one, go in and give the manager your specific request... tell him you want the "Authorized Version" of the King James bible, the one with the original 17th-century English... and you'll get what you want.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks, Oberon. What's a Lifeway store? I have a B&N coupon so I'd prefer to buy it there, but I'll ask the clerk what you suggested.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Lifeway is a chain of Baptist bookstores.

They're more or less a national chain, although they only have two locations in California.

Thanks again, Oberon. There's one not far from me - closer than the ones in Florida are to my mom.

I also have the Graduate Theological Union bookstore just up the hill if all else fails.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, just to be clear: There's a "King James Bible" (the old language) and there's also been a release of the "New King James Bible," which is the KJV in more modern language but using the old KJV as a template. That latter one came out within the last ten years sometime.

You want the old "authorized" version.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes, just to be clear: There's a "King James Bible" (the old language) and there's also been a release of the "New King James Bible," which is the KJV in more modern language but using the old KJV as a template. That latter one came out within the last ten years sometime.

You want the old "authorized" version.

Thanks, Jennifer. I wondered how both could be King James.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, the NKJV is about 30 years old. There is also a "Modern King James Version" and a "KJ21". There are some public domain ones online such as "Updated KJV", "American KJV", and "KJV Clarified". (I collect this stuff, as I never liked many of the changes of the the modern versions, but did like modern language). They are considered King James because they use the same manuscripts and keep some of the same form. KJV purists still reject them, though. But even the so-called 1611 version is really from 1769, as the original used Olde English; not just the "thou"s and "thee"s, but many other words spelled completely different to the point it would be hard for us to read.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thank you Eric. My mom is looking for one with the language she remembers from 60-80 years ago when she went to church regularly.

I went to B&N and the clerk was pretty useless, but we finally determined that all of their in-stock versions are Modern King James.

I guess I'm off to the GTU.