• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prayers by the Lake - for those interested in Eastern Christian mysticism

S

Sniffles

More.

Can you give me a quick bio?

Age at the time he wrote, former life experience in the community?

Here's some basic background bio on the man himself:
Nikolai Velimirovic - OrthodoxWiki

I believe the link I gave in the OP to the complete collection of these prayers gives further background info behind St. Nikolai and these prayers.

If you're further interested in the Eastern mystical tradition, I can suggest the Philokalia, although I believe it's common practice to read it under guidance from a spiritual elder.

S

Sniffles

Hesychasm - I think the only real difference in this respect between the East and West is its practice. The general idea however, is very prevelant in Charismatic Churches in the West. It says in the Bible that indeed by faith Jesus Himself comes to live in us and so any exploration of Him will ultimately lead us inwards. The idea that we must preform works does not somehow disconnect us from this princle though and is based on Biblical teaching that "Faith without works is dead"

Yet there is much controversy about that concept, and is a major obstacle to reconciliation between the Roman and Greek Churches, since the West has taken a more negative view towards the concept.

The problem I see with it is the fine line it seemingly draws between mysticism and Gnosticism - which taught that salvation is found within oneself.

I personally love the detachment that he promotes and it fits in with the sentiment that we are "In the world but not of it"
That certainly is an important distinction to make. There is a difference between being of the world and being worldly. The former involves a proper appreciation towards the world as a creation of God, while the latter is an idolatrous worship of the world at the expense of the heavenly.

This is why I'm often I'm suspicious of these attempts at "Creation-centered" spirituality. I have one anthology of Hildegard of Bingen's writings, but the introduction tries to paint her as being in the matriarchal tradition of such, as opposed to the patriarchal "anti-Creation" spirituality of say Thomas Kempis.

All I can say is what a complete load of horseshit. :rolli:

Sadly this is all too common these days in regards to the Christian mystical tradition. This is especially true in regards to the issue of Meister Eckhart and others.

I'll certainly be interested in hearing more of yours and Anja's thoughts on these. :)

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Actually I just reread your post so link to nothing LOL!!! Anwyay this is a great thread and am going to enjoy the other two clips now for a second shot of ponderings

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I like the way that he makes reserection so personal through imagery.. It seems to me that his time spent alone makes perspective grow larger and so he is able to examine the futility of the cycle of life. His work is so close to the Psalms and to Ecclesastics. I love the idea of the 'bed of worms' it bring us all to a place of humility and makes a reality our own motality brilliant!

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Interesting that a monastic life would appeal to an E more than myself, an I!

This element of aversion to the worldy disturbs me. There seem to be times to withdraw for spiritual contemplation, but to make it a lifestyle strikes me as selfish.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think i'll like this thread too...i'll have to read it with my coffee tomorrow ;)
are you so glad i shared...haha

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
There have been several periods where I have gone into a social hiding and yes I too think this is a little strange for an Extravert but that way of life has always attracted me.. however, I also belief in sacrificial love at the cost of everything else and so if it is to the detriment of others you should not embark upon such a journery but if the revelation and what you will gain is going to be greatly beneficial to others then it is important...

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think that deveoping spirituality is a process, hopefully which continues throughout one's life span. And I am wary about reaching a place where I am one-hundred percent certain that I've got it all figured out. I avoid adherence to set prinicples, am wearied by obligatory ritual, although I recognize its value to others, and am resistant to setting a specific time to worship.

A church setting, for these reasons, may be a pleasant place to socialize with other like-minded people but not my choice for celebrating awareness of my spirituality.

There have been times when I've had similar experiences to the monastic life and those have had value at the time. At one time there was a great deal of searchng and experimenting, but with time I've come to a place of being able to see my path. All the reading and talking and philosophizing and religious education and meditating were useful in their times.

For me it has come down to embracing The Mystery.