• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is MBTI a Cult?

Mole

Permabanned
So, for my English class, we have to write a 7-9 page double spaced research paper. At first, I was a little intimidated, but then I started thinking of topics and realized that with all the research I could do, that's really not that much! I was thinking about doing a paper on the Myers-Briggs. The problem is finding the right angle to do it from.

At first, I was thinking about the influence of it on organizations, but too big? My teacher thought so. Then I thought, a breakdown of the preferences, but still way too big, I think. Someone else suggested focusing on one type. I could do mine, but then I was told again, that I was heading for a 30 page paper. At that point, I was like, ARGH! I met up with an ENFP MBTI certified person at my college, and she kept giving me reasons why I couldn't do a research paper on it.

I know it's hard, but with it being my latest interest, and the fact that I want to dive head first into it right now, can't I come back out with a research paper on it?

I was looking at a breakdown of the ISTJ. With 7-9 pages, though, that sounds hard. You could visit every aspect of their life, ranging from family, romance, careers, hobbies, mannerisms, etc. You'd still have the preferences, their impact on the person, each cognitive function, and their relationship. Yeah, that's a lot. I just thought I could generalize it somewhat to smush it into 7-9 pages.

Am I in over my head or is this doable?

Why not approach it as a world wide cult with Jung as its fascist guru and Mrs Briggs and her daughter, Mrs Myers, as his disciples.

You could then ask, who are attracted to cults, and why are they attracted to cults.

You then might locate MBTI within the New Age religion.

And you might locate the New Age within the culture of narcissism.

But most of all you might point out that MBTI is not a valid personality test. And the way it is administered is completely invalid.

And finally you might interview those who have found their way out of MBTI.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why not approach it as a world wide cult with Jung as its fascist guru and Mrs Briggs and her daughter, Mrs Myers, as his disciples.

You could then ask, who are attracted to cults, and why are they attracted to cults.

I am uncertain as to whether you're joking.

Mole

Permabanned
I am uncertain as to whether you're joking.

Speak to any psychometrician with a doctorate from a recognised University, and ask why no qualified psychometricians use MBTI.

You might also ask about the proper use of a bona fide personality test. And I am sure you would be told it is not to be self administered. And certainly not administered by unqualified people to their friends. And of course it would be absurd to administer it to those you don't even know.

If you can confirm the above, you might be interested to ask, what is MBTI?

I would suggest you ask a Sociologist with a doctorate. And I would expect they would tell you it is a popular world wide cult with a guru and followers.

And I expect the Sociologist would further tell you that MBTI is part of the New Age Movement.

And I would hope they would tell you that the New Age Movement is based on pseudo-science and superstition. But perhaps they might consider that too much of a value judgement.

But how bizarre you would think I was joking.

On the other hand, I am doing the unthinkable - I am speaking truth to power - I am telling the truth about MBTI on a site dedicated to MBTI.

This opens up a very interesting question about my own psychology - why would I persist in doing this when, of the face it, it's counter productive.

I don't quite know the answer to this.

Mole

Permabanned
Maybe you got bored with posting atheistic comments on sites devoted to discussing religion and spirituality?

I have never written to a site discussing religion and spirituality. So I am at a loss to know why you would say I have.

And as a point of personal explanation - I am an Australian who is a judeo-greek-christian and the son of the humanist renaissance and the Scottish and English Enlightenment.

I do though offer a point of view about theism and atheism based on a deep understanding of metaphor.

Perhaps you have mistaken my metaphoric analysis for atheism.

I do though suspect you accusing me of being a troll.

It seems an easy judgement to make.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
On the other hand, I am doing the unthinkable - I am speaking truth to power - I am telling the truth about MBTI on a site dedicated to MBTI.

I think I hurt my eyes from rolling them so hard. Truth to power? Seriously? Sounds like tail-gnawing paranoia to me.

This opens up a very interesting question about my own psychology - why would I persist in doing this when, of the face it, it's counter productive.

I don't quite know the answer to this.

Indeed. Why would you join a community (which you yourself regard as cult-like) and then seek to brand your fellows with the appellation of cult-follower? The psychological dimensions would be interesting if not so obviously and thoroughly conflicted.

I don't think anyone here views MBTI as anything more than a framework for understanding reality.

Though I am far too disinterested in your error to take offense, your statements are presumptuous and probably shouldn't be aired in an environment where you know for certain that most people will disagree with you. It's like joining a forum for the Dallas Cowboys and talking about how the Cowboys suck. It's just perverse.

I can't believe that you really believe in a cult of Jung, so I chalk it up mostly to hyperbole.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I do though suspect you accusing me of being a troll.

It seems an easy judgement to make.

Well, I think you know how to prove otherwise.

Not that I am stupid enough to expect you to be particularly interested in doing so.

However.

It's up to you.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Um. And derailing the thread?

I think that is perhaps significant.

A good reason for not expending too much time and energy on the response.

Tempting, but counterproductive.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:huh: This brings up a good question- if cults are bad and the MBTI is a cult why are you here?

Just curious! :)

Mole

Permabanned
Indeed. Why would you join a community (which you yourself regard as cult-like) and then seek to brand your fellows with the appellation of cult-follower? The psychological dimensions would be interesting if not so obviously and thoroughly conflicted.

I was invited to join MBTI Central by Geoff after he had read my posts on the site called, "Gifted and Talented Talk".

Geoff told us that MBTI Central was well run and tolerant. And it is.

But having joined MBTI Central, I then began to research MBTI and its history.

And of course I thought that the members of MBTI Central would be vitally interested in the history of MBTI itself. But I was wrong.

Almost all the members are vitally interested in maintaining the reputation of MBTI. And they see any discussion of the history of MBTI as an attack on the reputation of MBTI.

But even more important most members identify with MBTI in exactly the same way any member identifies with any cult. And so naturally they feel any critique of the cult is a personal attack on them and their integrity.

I must admit I find this intellectually disorienting - and I can't quite believe it is taking place in front of my eyes.

I suspect I am naive.

On the other hand, I enjoy posting here. And I think the group interactions are important.

The only price I pay for my enjoyment is cognitive dissonance.

And I know that cognitive dissonance is a sign I am learning something.

But so far, I don't know what it is.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
*Victor has surrendered two pieces of personal information in this thread.*

That may be a first. In my experinece anyway.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Geoff told us that MBTI Central was well run and tolerant. And it is.

But having joined MBTI Central, I then began to research MBTI and its history.

And of course I thought that the members of MBTI Central would be vitally interested in the history of MBTI itself. But I was wrong.

Almost all the members are vitally interested in maintaining the reputation of MBTI. And they see any discussion of the history of MBTI as an attack on the reputation of MBTI.

I hate passive-aggressive bullshit.

But even more important most members identify with MBTI in exactly the same way any member identifies with any cult. And so naturally they feel any critique of the cult is a personal attack on them and their integrity.

The idea that most members here identify with MBTI as a cult is pretty ridiculous. Certainly not true for me. I don't have a problem with criticism. At all.

I do have a problem with people lobbing around terms like "worldwide fascist cult of Jung" (these terms are loaded) and making remarks veiled under the sneering veneer of a reasoned critique.

If you want to be taken seriously, start acting serious. Stop engaging in hyperbole that does nothing to further your case, if that is even the point of your exhortations, which I seriously doubt.

I must admit I find this intellectually disorienting - and I can't quite believe it is taking place in front of my eyes.

I suspect I am naive.

On the other hand, I enjoy posting here. And I think the group interactions are important.

The only price I pay for my enjoyment is cognitive dissonance.

And I know that cognitive dissonance is a sign I am learning something.

But so far, I don't know what it is.

More rhetorical bullshit. Your words conceal.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Victor, I generally enjoy your posts.

But stop speaking in platitudes, just for one day.

Mole

Permabanned
:huh: This brings up a good question- if cults are bad and the MBTI is a cult why are you here?

Just curious! :)

When I was invited to join MBTI Central, I didn't know MBTI was a world wide cult. And no one told me - I had to find out for myself.

However MBTI Central and MBTI are two different things - and now MBTI Central, like the Soviet Union, no longer exists. Instead we now have Typology Central.

And I find Central both good and bad. So of course I stay for the good and try to change the bad.

But what I really find interesting is that I can express myself creatively here to a wide range of people across the world.

Also I value cognitive dissonance and the learning it brings.

And I suspect that cognitive dissonance is the biggest problem I present for you. Simply because cognitive dissonance is mentally painful and the purpose of any cult is to reduce mental pain.

So I cause you pain and of course you react. You are unable to tell me you are in pain, so you show me you are in pain by causing me pain. Commonly enough by accusing me a being a troll.

But what you don't understand is that learning is changing your mind. And changing your mind cause cognitive dissonance which is mentally painful.

However it is a good pain - like stretching a muscle - but here you are stretching the muscle of your mind.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
So, Victor, here's the deal - every time you feel like mentioning your opinion that MBTI is a cult, post HERE. Okeedoke? It can be your blog of opinion.

Mole

Permabanned
So, Victor, here's the deal - every time you feel like mentioning your opinion that MBTI is a cult, post HERE. Okeedoke? It can be your blog of opinion.

If liberty means anything, it means saying what others don't want to hear.

What you have done is to compromise my liberty by marginalising me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
;) I'm merely saying- if you're going to be here perhaps complaining that it's a cult isn't the most intelligent idea. It's like eating a pizza with pepperoni and sausage toppings while announcing that you're a strict vegan- smacking a bit of hypocrisy almost.

Just pointing out an observation.

And I'd say that it's more like a church in that not everyone here knows much about the MBTI or beleives that strongly- it's a social site with a common bond. If you want to walk into the Methodist Church and tell them they're a cult it's just as sensible of a move, you know :D

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
If liberty means anything, it means saying what others don't want to hear.

What you have done is to compromise my liberty by marginalising me.

Again, stop with the intellectualizing bullshit.