User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

Thread: Is MBTI a Cult?

MBTI
    INF
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We can make the same argument for phrenology, or astrology, or alchemy.
    U WOT M8?!

haha

But since the 17th century we know better. And these superstitions are used today by business and religion to manipulate vulnerable people.
    Science is used (misused) to manipulate vulnerable people into thinking that there is no such thing as the spiritual, but for thousands of years we have known better... but somehow now we don't, which is kinda weird really.

But the point is psychological typology. Is it true/scientifically valid? To a large extent, yes. It's more complicated than it's typically said to be, but yes. Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    U WOT M8?! haha Science is used (misused) to manipulate vulnerable people into thinking that there is no such thing as the spiritual, but for thousands of years we have known better... but somehow now we don't, which is kinda weird really. But the point is psychological typology. Is it true/scientifically valid? To a large extent, yes. It's more complicated than it's typically said to be, but yes. Yes it is.
    How very New Age. You've just proved our point! There's a guy called David Icke who says the same, you should check him out. He also says that the world's ruled by psychopathic shape-shifting lizards.

I'd be interested to know who this 'we' is, because it doesn't include me, or anyone else in my immediate social circle, or anyone whose points I consider valid and genuinely interesting. So you're cherry picking here, badly.

U WOT M8?! haha Science is used (misused) to manipulate vulnerable people into thinking that there is no such thing as the spiritual, but for thousands of years we have known better... but somehow now we don't, which is kinda weird really. But the point is psychological typology. Is it true/scientifically valid? To a large extent, yes. It's more complicated than it's typically said to be, but yes. Yes it is.
    This is a misunderstanding of the word, 'typology'.

By contrast, Typology is the study of all types, not just personality types.

Typology does not mean the study of personality types.

The name, 'Typology', is used here to deceive vulnerable people for business reasons.

This is what we expect in a cult.

MBTI
    INF
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by antfmcmanz View Post
    How very New Age. You've just proved our point! There's a guy called David Icke who says the same, you should check him out. He also says that the world's ruled by psychopathic shape-shifting lizards.

I'd be interested to know who this 'we' is, because it doesn't include me, or anyone else in my immediate social circle, or anyone whose points I consider valid and genuinely interesting. So you're cherry picking here, badly.
    I don't know what point you're making. Are you saying that people generally do believe in the spiritual? And the denial of the spiritual in the name of science isn't a thing, or it's a lot more of a non-issue than I'm making out? Clarify please.

This is a misunderstanding of the word, 'typology'.

By contrast, Typology is the study of all types, not just personality types.

Typology does not mean the study of personality types.

The name, 'Typology', is used here to deceive vulnerable people for business reasons.

This is what we expect in a cult.
    I even specified this time that I was talking about psychological typology, even though it's a given here that that's what the term refers to. Not sure what you're saying.

Those who are anti-science are the ones you need to watch out for, pyramid schemes attract people who don't know or care about science and logic for a reason. As do crystal healers, homeopathy practitioners, and mediums. Some of them are now on the gravy train because 'spiritually-minded' people (i.e. people who can't discern between fact and fiction) all too readily buy into hokum.

Sorry, I misread what you said, but my point remains the same. Your use of 'we' is cherry picking because you're writing off at least half (likely much more) of the world's population. It's that simple. Of course, in a western context, many people are now atheists, but that's not true of everyone, and I'm concerned about humanity's future that it's come to the point where I need to explain this to you.
    Likes Mole liked this post

I
    I don't know what point you're making. Are you saying that people generally do believe in the spiritual? And the denial of the spiritual in the name of science isn't a thing, or it's a lot more of a non-issue than I'm making out? Clarify please. I even specified this time that I was talking about psychological typology, even though it's a given here that that's what the term refers to. Not sure what you're saying.
    The spiritual is not the whole of science, the spiritual arises in our imagination, and forms the basis of religion, art, sculpture, ballet, literature, and architecture.

The spiritual forms the first part of science when we make an hypothesis. The second, and equally important part, is reality testing the hypothesis by experiment.

And mbti has not been reality tested in seventy five years.

This is what we expect in a cult, even a business cult.

MBTI
    INF
    Enneagram

The spiritual is not the whole of science, the spiritual arises in our imagination, and forms the basis of religion, art, sculpture, ballet, literature, and architecture.

The spiritual forms the first part of science when we make an hypothesis. The second, and equally important part, is reality testing the hypothesis by experiment.
    Huh? It sounds like you're referring to the Intuition function.

(intuition is like the "spiritual" cognitive faculty, but actual spirituality is different)

|
    V
    I've attached a diagramspirit heart mind body.jpg

Huh? It sounds like you're referring to the Intuition function. (intuition is like the "spiritual" cognitive faculty, but actual spirituality is different) | V I've attached a diagramspirit heart mind body.jpg
    I agree with you there, the development of hypotheses is sometimes based on an intuition (an unconscious observation), and not spirituality, which entails holding beliefs in entities or things that cannot be empirically validated (more often than not, though, hypotheses are conscious, empirical observations that require verification). Intuitions can, and are frequently, falsified, but can also be verified. Neither is true of spiritual claims.

MBTI
    INF
    Enneagram

@antfmcmanz you sound like a troll.

@antfmcmanz you sound like a troll.
    Why? For giving you credit when I agree with you, and disagreeing when I disagree? Some people are hard to please.
    I don't think dedicating an hour of my day to writing a post on this thread is trolling, if I were, I'd have thrown the towel in ages ago. This is like Groundhog Day, 10 years ago Mole was being called a troll for saying uttering truths people didn't want to hear and now it's happening to me. In MBTI-land, I've come to believe, a 'troll' is anyone who criticises the system (that is, speaks sense). If someone breaches your subjective worldview, scream troll, and the back-ups will be sure to follow shortly.