• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you know when youll die

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
i have a question for you,do you know when you'll die or how you die. what do you think about death? I think death is there for us to enjoy the life we have.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When? No. How? I can make an educated guess. I think death does make life beautiful in its own way. I seen it like yin and yang.

I’ve probably got a decade left in me, at best. No official diagnosis, just a feeling. I’ve put my body through quite a bit.

How? Probably in some unexpected way. That seems to be the case with people in my life.

I think death sucks personally. I feel shortchanged. An incomprehensibly big universe and I’ll perish after having spent all of my time on this one lonely rock hurtling through space? There’s so much to see and potentially so much to do out there. Such unrealized potential.

I’m obviously not sure what happens after this. Perhaps nothing. We may simply be biological machines that sputter and stop. Perhaps something. What follows may likely be far more bizarre than anything we can conceive of. I’m fairly sure no fiery pits or golden gates await us in any event.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A carnival palm reader once told me I’d marry my soulmate, have four children, and become a dancer. She never told me when or how I’d die, but, given her wildly inaccurate predictions of everything else— I likely wouldn’t believe her about that, either.

My best guess is that someday (be it 5 or 50 yrs from now), I’ll mistake a cerebrovascular event (such as a stroke or ruptured brain aneurysm) for one of my bad migraines, & that’ll be that. Out and over.

There is no inherent meaning or reason for life or death, to me. All we have is our subjective experience of our existence, and our slightly more aware brains evolved to seek out reason and patterns, whether they exist or not. We make ourselves each day, and we’re here til we’re not. Whatever meaning you find or build along the way is yours.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Half of us will get cancer. I firmly believe that stress and trauma are the leading causes of death, albeit seemingly indirectly. There's no way I'm coming out of what I've been through, with my mental wiring, unscathed. It's all connected and it's entirely silly to think otherwise.

With that said, because it is all connected, I think there is untapped potential to redirect the trajectory of your physical well-being, not unlike the placebo effect (and its equally valid nocebo effect). It's just that it takes a great deal of focus and open-mindedness, and of course, nothing is ever a guarantee.

If (when) I get whatever diagnosis I get (probably cancer), I will probably have to battle my depression, but then I will turn it around as best I can with these sorts of efforts. Why don't I start now? I have, but only in small ways. I think I operate "best" with a fire under my ass, probably because I'm a bit morbid and generally otherwise ineffectual without something darker/heavier, or at least a distant vision, motivating me.

I don't consciously fear death at all and have never related to people who do. I don't have any anxiety about it, but if the threat arrived, I know that I would. I don't meditate upon death, but I'd like to consciously face my mortality in a mindful manner, for spiritual reasons. I do think it's better to accept it up front as a natural, normal stage of existence, a mysterious transition.

I'm an atheist and believe not in heaven nor hell, but I feel spiritual about things from a very particular perspective that takes into account the metaphysical. Humans are quite blinded and restricted by their thirst for scientifically proven knowledge, and generally neglect to acknowledge and appreciate the beauty of repeating patterns all around us. This also gets into Alan Watts land real quick with me, and since he's already explained it better than I'll ever be able to, I'll just leave it as he's laid it out.

Mkay... great 2 am insomnia talk. I'm gonna attempt to leave this physical plane and enter the mysterious plane of dreams now.

Lark

i have a question for you,do you know when you'll die or how you die. what do you think about death? I think death is there for us to enjoy the life we have.

This is weird, this makes me think of those ruminations which lead into being radicalised.

Like those young people who get manipulated into serving some crazy's cause as pawns in their great game. When they start thinking that their life will mean nothing unless they can choose the hour of their death and link it with some mission or cause which they imagine will be aggrandizing. The whole they've just been duped by someone who wants a distraction event so the authorities will be looking the other way when they people traffick/traffick guns, drugs, contraband or simply manipulate their stock value for a day or two.

I dont think the existence of death makes life more enjoyable. I dont think any activity is more enjoyable by its being time restricted. This is old world scarcity thinking. Nothing has value unless its supply is limited or short span. I dont like that thinking as it results in anything that may be plentiful, available, sustainable being less valued and sometimes those things are really, really valuable and never missed until they are gone.

The existence of death and tragedy making life and happiness all the better is lousy with the influence of Nietzsche and Schopenhauer, both of which I figure are not as great as a lot of people think they are and I know they underpin a lot of the zeitgheist at the moment, how the hell they do figure so much I dont know, who really gets the infestation of cyberspace by this kind of thing, so much of the bad kind of pan-Germanism.

Lark

Half of us will get cancer. I firmly believe that stress and trauma are the leading causes of death, albeit seemingly indirectly.

I do agree with that, I've had some incredible moments since being diagnosed with diabetes (one of the major health/illness pivotal points for me), when I've had cause to reflect on the close relationships between mind and body, somatic illness etc.

Sometimes I think the insights I discover have not filtered through that well or there's got to be some reason they are being ignored. Like on some level the authorities or society must rationalize illness as an individual tragedy rather than social malady. Things like the pandemic ought to shake that thinking to its foundation but it hasnt.

Plus I've met a lot of people who still imagine that social issues, relative deprivation etc. as they're keeping the population in check or provide spurs/motivation to compel people to go to work, all the old master-slave thinking is alive and well. What's worse is that not matter how much in evidence it is that people are excluded from their being part of the "masters" they're still identifying with them. That sort of false consciousness has all its own maladies in tow.

Anyway, some of the best analysis of this I've read is from writers in the fifties and sixties, if you can believe that, most of the trends they've identified are only worse since the time in question. Relative boosts in prosperity dont seem to remedy it either. I'm not even sure its something individuals can overcome through their own individual efforts either.

yubitzu

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can make many guesses but there is ultimately no way to know,I just hope that whenever death gets me,I happen to be in peace.
I don't wanna go out struggling,I'd rather breeze to the other side.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
>do you know when you'll die or how you die.

Probably when my heart stops beating.
I might be asleep, but I might also be awake.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Probably by committing "suicide" after hacking into most secret government and corporate secrets. I expect it will be the Burger King people that do it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Probably by committing "suicide" after hacking into most secret government and corporate secrets. I expect it will be the Burger King people that do it.

gMdLBpP.gif

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've mostly sensed that I live to be over 100 and that my death is quiet, likely in my sleep. Although I have sometimes wondered if there is a sense of falling like a plane crashing, which is opposite. I hope to be holding hands, but I desire that so I can't tell if it's just a wish. I think I will feel at peace about it like it is the right time.

Black Sun

I would choose immortality if it was an option. I could find plenty of things to do for eternity, and I hate that time is a finite resource. I'm curious about what will happen in the future and what progress will be made (and of course I'm interested in anything that will increase my quality of life), and I would look forward to having so much time to delve into what interests me. A couple of decades is not enough time to experience and remove the curtain in front of the unknown. The idea of losing consciousness forever is irritating. One good thing about death is that it gets rid of people who do not deserve to live though.

I take care of my body, and I want to be fit and healthy when I am old so that I don't end up needing to rely on others because I am too weak and sickly to care for myself. I am revolted by the idea of ending up in a nursing home. I have thought about killing myself if I get to a point where my health will only be on a decline and I can't live a life that is independent enough for me when I'm old. Strongly considering eating a bullet if I find out I have alzheimer's. What I do will depend on how bad my condition is predicted to be.
I'd also want to be awake if I die of old age because I want to know what it is like.
I don't think humanity is special, and I don't think that life or death have inherent meaning.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Death can be predicted by some statistics e.g life expectancy. But, Is there any possibility to actually know when and how someone will be die is also my question for now. Prophecy was once used for informing and exactly telling when someone die and how but it was viable only by a prophet.
Here is some of my thoughts on death.
Death is a fate of every living creature will experience eventually and unavoidably that ends their life in this world. Death is a separation between the immaterial soul and material body or non-presence of immaterial soul within the material body. Death is the one and only gateway to the hereafter that human must generally go through. To fear death is useless.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I'll be chilling in some radical commune when the ghost of Augusto Pinochet will strike me down. I'll be about...idk, 35 or so?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don’t know when I’ll die, but personally it doesn’t matter to me anymore. To someone like me who believes in reincarnation and the like, death is not a period that will mark the end of my run-on sentence - it’s a semicolon.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Death can be predicted by some statistics e.g life expectancy. But, Is there any possibility to actually know when and how someone will be die is also my question for now. Prophecy was once used for informing and exactly telling when someone die and how but it was viable only by a prophet.
Here is some of my thoughts on death.
Death is a fate of every living creature will experience eventually and unavoidably that ends their life in this world. Death is a separation between the immaterial soul and material body or non-presence of immaterial soul within the material body. Death is the one and only gateway to the hereafter that human must generally go through. To fear death is useless.
I was implying by the bold that prophet who can foretell death was no longer available, since Al-Ahzab:40, who tells that Muhammad was the last one, was initially revealed to him. but I was actually confused with the word prophet that is recently I learnt that is ambiguous. Which prophet in what sense has been no longer appointed for 14 centuries, hence can't have been available since then and I have heard that some even interpret it will be continuously so until the day of judgement, was probably the question that I should have raised. It is very hard for me and I even think it is probably impossible to denote prophet in both two senses: spokesperson and a person who foretells future event even after I have learnt the word is ambiguous, when we use it in a sentence. I have posted about prophet in random spiritual thread.

https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/philosophy-and-spirituality/94683-random-spiritual-thread-27.html#post3261593
https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/philosophy-and-spirituality/94683-random-spiritual-thread-27.html#post3262963
https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/philosophy-and-spirituality/94683-random-spiritual-thread-27.html#post3263914
https://www.typologycentral.com/for...3-random-spiritual-thread-28.html#post3266421
https://www.typologycentral.com/for...3-random-spiritual-thread-29.html#post3266696
I was referring to Joseph as the prophet that I learnt was storytold to prophesized death. You may have heard his story of prophesying death before, from others perhaps. But I learnt the story from the Koran.
Joseph was incarcerated.
Yusuf: 33 English Translation said:
Joseph prayed, “My Lord! I would rather be in jail than do what they invite me to. And if You do not turn their cunning away from me, I might yield to them and fall into ignorance.”

In the prison, he met another two prisoners. Both of them dreamt and told it to Joseph.

Surah Yusuf - 12:1 | Quran.com
Yusuf: 36 English Translation said:
And two other servants went to jail with Joseph. One of them said, “I dreamt I was pressing wine.” The other said, “I dreamt I was carrying ˹some˺ bread on my head, from which birds were eating.” ˹Then both said,˺ “Tell us their interpretation, for we surely see you as one of the good-doers.”

He told the interpretation of the dream
Yusuf: 41 English Translation said:
“O my fellow-prisoners! ˹The first˺ one of you will serve wine to his master, and the other will be crucified and the birds will eat from his head. The matter about which you inquired has been decided.”

He made a request to the prisoner whom he prophesized to survive to tell his condition to His master.

Yusuf: 42 English Translation said:
Then he said to the one he knew would survive, “Mention me in the presence of your master.1” But Satan made him forget to mention Joseph to his master, so he remained in prison for several years.

Joseph was actually told to have more prophecies but I only quoted the prophecy that is related to death.

Btw, in the random spiritual thread post, I posted that it is actually unclear for me how prophecy is technically performed. but Yusuf:36 is kind a give clue that is in Joseph's case, His method of coming up with prophecy was dream interpretation.

Last edited: