• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What emotion is the most foreign to you?

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Is there something you never really tend to feel? Maybe you hear others do, but you find that you just don't relate much?

For me it's probably shame and envy mostly.
EDIT: Pride is mostly foreign to me as well, but less so than the other two I mentioned.
Interesting to me because this likely ties in with why it's so easy for me to openly be myself.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Certain kinds of anger or envy. I can't say I never feel either, but there are subcategories of both that escape me.

When I hear that people get depressed on social media because other people post vacations, weddings, graduations, etc., I have no idea what that feeling is because I like social media to know people are happy and okay. I can feel envy towards attractive young pictures sometimes, but not too bad. I often still 'like' them and such. I'm very critical of my own looks so it doesn't take much to get me down, and I feel like I missed out on being appreciated when young, so I have a bunch of personal issues with that, but I don't have vacation issues or life success event issues.

I also don't get angry over honest mistakes like people being late, forgetting, being confused, breaking something by accident, whatever. I don't expect other people to be structured.

Lark

I dont think any emotional state is foreign to me, I'm probably older than much of the forum and that could have something to do with it too.

I'm not that emotional, like I do not experience mood swings or overwhelm much of the time, some crisis situations actually underwhelm me or leave me feeling indifferent. I'm not inclined to put any kind of label upon this, other than maybe preferring thinking states to feeling states, but people I've disagreed with in the past have seen fit to describe it as dissociating, I think that's remarkably strong but then there you go.

I do like to feel deeply about things, the same as anyone else, I would not consider predominant thinking traits to be something that should be confused with flat affect or issues like that.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not really...I can easily feel disgust, jealousy, rage, excitement and love in a 5 minute time span. I think the closest thing is true annoyance? Like yes I get annoyed at people talking loud or standing in my way, but it's hard for me to get really annoyed at say, someone's incompetence when I'm going out. I mean I'll probably be a little annoyed or disappointed, but like I see people in the ranting in the rant thread all the time while I don't know what to rant about. Whenever I am feeling rant-y, I'm more feeling dramatic than super annoyed. Gives me something to talk about.

Black Sun

Jealousy and loneliness. When I see people doing things I want to do or have things I want I get inspired. Any small tinge of jealousy I've felt has been overshadowed by other things like feeling inspired and the enjoyment of seeing someone succeed. I don't really understand people who backstab or get hostile towards the object of their jealousy. That's pathetic and stupid to me. Set some goals and move forward. Jealousy is such a pointless emotion to me and so easy to rationalize away.
Loneliness is very foreign to me. I have trouble trying to remember feeling it or imagine feeling it. I am very much in my own world and have always neglected the social part of life. Sometimes I imagine myself in the future on an Earth where all living things besides me have died. This scene stirs up no fear of loneliness.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Love, because it happened so infrequently growing up that I began to dread it ever happening. Often times get it confused with other emotions due to what love I was being exposed to being twisted. I can't really tell the difference between kinds of love, or the depth. I just know it is a feeling I get once in a while, and I have no idea what to do with it. Then often times, only really becoming aware of how much after the thing I loved is gone. It also tends to remind me of the worst emotion that I feel, and that is loneliness (imo).

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't trust more of an action and not an emotion?

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Isn't trust more of an action and not an emotion?
I proposed this same question in one of my psychology classes in 2011 while we were going over emotions, except I explained that it seemed more like a cognitive process to me. He made a differentiation between the trust I was talking about and the feeling of trust, which was sort of just like...the feeling of security, basically. Trust, security, confidence in, comfort with...that sort of thing. So basically, it's both...at least in the books.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Not really...I can easily feel disgust, jealousy, rage, excitement and love in a 5 minute time span. I think the closest thing is true annoyance? Like yes I get annoyed at people talking loud or standing in my way, but it's hard for me to get really annoyed at say, someone's incompetence when I'm going out. I mean I'll probably be a little annoyed or disappointed, but like I see people in the ranting in the rant thread all the time while I don't know what to rant about. Whenever I am feeling rant-y, I'm more feeling dramatic than super annoyed. Gives me something to talk about.
What is it about you that you think prevents you from experiencing it much? Is there a certain mindset or something that you have?

If you need me to elaborate with an example to clarify what I'm asking...

[MENTION=38618]Saturnal Snowqueen[/MENTION] Just to be clear, I'm asking because I struggle a lot with what you said, something I got from my dad...it's something I'd like to struggle with less. Just wondered if maybe I could learn from you.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I dont think any emotional state is foreign to me, I'm probably older than much of the forum and that could have something to do with it too.
When you were younger was there something in particular that was just infrequent for you?

I'm not that emotional, like I do not experience mood swings or overwhelm much of the time, some crisis situations actually underwhelm me or leave me feeling indifferent. I'm not inclined to put any kind of label upon this, other than maybe preferring thinking states to feeling states, but people I've disagreed with in the past have seen fit to describe it as dissociating, I think that's remarkably strong but then there you go.

I do like to feel deeply about things, the same as anyone else, I would not consider predominant thinking traits to be something that should be confused with flat affect or issues like that.
Same, with the bolded...but I consider that part of adapting to an emotional invalidating environment and dissociation, for me personally. Not saying you're wrong or disagreeing...I don't think one necessarily cancels out the existence of the other. Maybe for some people it's one thing, for another it's another thing.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there something you never really tend to feel? Maybe you hear others do, but you find that you just don't relate much?

For me it's probably shame and envy mostly. EDIT: Pride is mostly foreign to me as well, but less so than the other two I mentioned. Interesting to me because this likely ties in with why it's so easy for me to openly be myself.
I would agree with shame and envy. I mean, i do feel envy a little bit at times but it not in a negative way. There is a guy I went to grade school with that has done quite well in the business world as he built a very successful winery. I see him taking private jet flights all the time on facebook and he has a 70 acre ranch in Montana. I'm a little envious but mostly happy for him - sort of a you lucky dog kind if thing. His wines are delicious and he deserves every bit of that success.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I would agree with shame and envy. I mean, i do feel envy a little bit at times but it not in a negative way. There is a guy I went to grade school with that has done quite well in the business world as he built a very successful winery. I see him taking private jet flights all the time on facebook and he has a 70 acre ranch in Montana. I'm a little envious but mostly happy for him - sort of a you lucky dog kind if thing.
Yeah, that's basically how I am about things like that as well...just happy for people.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What is it about you that you think prevents you from experiencing it much? Is there a certain mindset or something that you have?

If you need me to elaborate with an example to clarify what I'm asking...

[MENTION=38618]Saturnal Snowqueen[/MENTION] Just to be clear, I'm asking because I struggle a lot with what you said, something I got from my dad...it's something I'd like to struggle with less. Just wondered if maybe I could learn from you.

Hmm, it's hard to tell sometimes, I'm just really easygoing about those sort of things. I know they're human, and I have the patience to wait. Like if my food is late at a restaurant for example, I'll be hungry but I'd just play on my phone or look at the walls. I'm not going to shrivel up and die. If I had somewhere to go afterwards I might get a little worried but I generally believe things will work out.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only thing that really fits is hollow.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Hmm, it's hard to tell sometimes, I'm just really easygoing about those sort of things. I know they're human, and I have the patience to wait. Like if my food is late at a restaurant for example, I'll be hungry but I'd just play on my phone or look at the walls. I'm not going to shrivel up and die. If I had somewhere to go afterwards I might get a little worried but I generally believe things will work out.
What about if someone's doing something in an inefficient way which inconveniences you? For example, if someone purchased a tall item at the store, and on their way out they hold up you and an entire line of people trying to get out the door because they can't figure out how to get it out the door while to you it's very obvious how?