• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mayan Calendar 2012 - the world will not end

S

Sniffles

In light of the countless sensationalism surronding this issue, I think many here will be interested in this:

The World will Not End

Carlos Barrios was born into a Spanish family on El Altiplano, the highlands of Guatemala. His home was in Huehuetenango, also the dwelling place of the Maya Mam tribe. With other Maya and other indigenous tradition keepers, the Mam carry part of the old ways on Turtle Island (North America). They are keepers of time, authorities on remarkable calendars that are ancient, elegant and relevant.

Mr. Barrios is a historian, an anthropologist and investigator. After studying with traditional elders for 25 years since the age of 19, he has also become a Mayan Ajq'ij, a ceremonial priest and spiritual guide, Eagle Clan.

Years ago, along with his brother, Gerardo, Carlos initiated an investigation into the different Mayan calendars. He studied with many teachers. He says his brother Gerardo interviewed nearly 600 traditional Mayan elders to widen their scope of knowledge.

"Anthropologists visit the temple sites," Mr. Barrios says, "and read the stelas and inscriptions and make up stories about the Maya, but they do not read the signs correctly. It’s just their imagination...Other people write about prophecy in the name of the Maya. They say that the world will end in December 2012. The Mayan elders are angry with this. The world will not end. It will be transformed. The indigenous have the calendars, and know how to accurately interpret it, not others."....
The Mayan Calendar - The World Will Not End

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I've had so many people try to show me Youtubes videos "proving" the world will end on 2012. It's good to see this, cause obviously everything on Youtube is bullshit made in some guy's basement. My understanding in my own personal research was merely that they had ceased to make long-term calenders after that date, but said nothing of the world ending, and that there were some short-term calenders exceeding that date. It's cool to read about it from the source like this...

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Oooh, yeah! The Aquarius-Era! The Reason why maaaany People and religious Groups thought in 2012 the World will go down because of an Apocalypse.

Personally, I dun think so. I mean the World is a Mess, yes. But...uh, I dun really expect a War or even an Apocalypse for then. A Change YES, but not in Form of a "horrible War" or whatever. :shock:

That's seriously a good Topic you brought up here, I must say!

S

Sniffles

I also can't stand this BS surronding St. Malachy's prophecies of the Popes, were supposedly the next is the last one before the end of the world. Much of the evidence seems to show they are elaborate 16th century forgeries.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think that this apocalypse-2012 thing I one of the biggest nonsense of our time.
What is fascinating to me is that so many people take this as something that will happen for sure.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Hm, I can only talk for myself now but I do believe SOMETHING will change soon, because of the Behaviour of Humanity. I mean uhm...more and more People are being really selfish, egoistic, materialistic etc and People in Need vanish in between. So this is why "I" do believe a Change has to happen soon. It's not really because of the Apocalypse Thing. But it IS funny and interesting how "the Time fits".
Never really believed in a Apocalypse like in the Bible anyways, even tho I do work with Spirituality-Stuff sometimes. :huh:

S

Sniffles

Oh I certainly believe we're on the verge of a transformation, from one era of history to another. But that's quite different then the actual end of the world. More like the end of an age; which very often people mistake for each other.

Many people thought it was the end of the world when Rome collasped, when in reality the next great stage in history was just beginning.

Usehername

On a mission
The Mayans were brilliant physicists who specialized in astronomy, and thus could be eye-bogglingly accurate when it came to things like calendars. I've toured a lot of their ruins, and studied on their culture, and am nothing short of envious of their abilities in this area.

But the idea that they can predict the end of the world? :huh:

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Many people thought it was the end of the world when Rome collasped, when in reality the next great stage in history was just beginning.
Exactly, you say it. I think many People tend to be a liiiiiittle Bit too pessimistic sometimes. Juuust a little.
I would say we can work tru a lot, if only Every1 helps. I don't mean to say that we are invincible or indestroyable, but I do believe with united Strenght we can fix quite a lot. In the Example of Rome: rebuild the City for Example. :yes:

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I never believed this "world is going to end on 2012" stuff until I learned that Palin is going to be running for president in that year. Now I'm kind of worried.

S

Sniffles

Well yes, the problem today is that people are too pessimistic. Funny thing is just a few years ago everybody was way too optimistic. So we've gone from one BS extreme to another.

I guess in accordance with my Ni prophecy skills: when everybody was optimisitc, I was warning about the dangers that loomed ahead. Now that everybody is shouting the sky is falling, I'm already seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I believe this is very much like the prophet Amos; who first predicted the destruction of the Kingdom of Israel but then at the end declares how out of the turmoil, God will restore glory to the chosen people.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
From Peguy's link:
""It will change," Mr. Barrios observes. "Everything will change." He said Mayan Daykeepers view the Dec. 21, 2012 date as a rebirth, the start of the World of the Fifth Sun. It will be the start of a new era resulting from — and signified by — the solar meridian crossing the galactic equator, and the earth aligning itself with the center of the galaxy.

At sunrise on December 21, 2012 — for the first time in 26,000 years — the Sun rises to conjunct the intersection of the Milky Way and the plane of the ecliptic, describing in the sky a great cross of stars and planets. This cosmic cross is considered to be an embodiment of the Sacred Tree, The Tree of Life — a tree remembered in all the world’s spiritual traditions.

Some observers say this alignment with the heart of the galaxy in 2012 will open a channel for cosmic energy to flow through the earth, cleansing it and all that dwells upon it, raising all to a higher level of vibration. This process has already begun, Mr. Barrios suggested. "Change is accelerating now, and it will continue to accelerate."

If the people of the earth can get to this 2012 date in good shape, without having destroyed too much of the Earth, Mr. Barrios said, we will rise to a new, higher level. But to get there we must transform enormously powerful forces that seek to block the way. "

Sounds like it could be the Second Coming of the Messiah.

But on a different note, I thought people were unable to align the Mayan calendar precisely with our modern day one and therefore couldn't figure out exactly the date on which it ended. Has that changed?

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Is the Mayan calendar set up in such a way that stopping on 2012 is significant? To be more specific:

1) Would the formula/pattern they used explain why they would stop on 2012? or
2) Did someone get tired of charting out so far in the future and decided stopping at 2012 would suffice for the time being.

I'm confused why people assume it signifies "the END" when it could just be that someone got bored and quit, or something like that.

sade

Is the Mayan calendar set up in such a way that stopping on 2012 is significant? To be more specific:

2) Did someone get tired of charting out so far in the future and decided stopping at 2012 would suffice for the time being.

I'm confused why people assume it signifies "the END" when it could just be that someone got bored and quit, or something like that.
My thoughts exactly.
The first time I saw this thing: "Okay, that is big. Why choose that spot to end it, there's still room? Oh well, someone probably got bored." :D

Everything is in constant change, and I do feel there is something coming. The economical condition should say something and the rise of the more right wing political parties, but apocalypse?
Riiiight.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
If you guys want to see some REALLY interesting predictions of 2012, you should try going to a New Age psychic forum. They tend to be a little more interesting than just believing the world is going to end. For example, one I read said: Our DNA will change from a double helix to a triple helix!

Usehername

On a mission
If you guys want to see some REALLY interesting predictions of 2012, you should try going to a New Age psychic forum. They tend to be a little more interesting than just believing the world is going to end. For example, one I read said: Our DNA will change from a double helix to a triple helix!

<imagines the amount of new information that would be in a 2012 version of my biochem text>

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I must admit that I get quite frightened the first time I heard of that... But I thought exactly what wedekit said. Every 31st of December the world doesn't end.
And besides, nobody seems to arrive to a conclusion about what will happen. Some say that the aliens from Planet X will come and take the Earth. Others that we'll be blasted from a solar ray. Others simply say 'IT'S THE END GUYS'.
Then there's the people who say 'DO NOT WORRY, WE'RE HEADING FOR A GOOD CHANGE'.

I survived a few 'ends of the world' (the 2000 one, the eclipse one, the 06/06/06...), so I guess that by 2013 I'll have survived another one.

But on a different note, I thought people were unable to align the Mayan calendar precisely with our modern day one and therefore couldn't figure out exactly the date on which it ended. Has that changed?

I read that there's even a 6 years error (for a mistake in the gregorian calendar or something like that), so the supposed 'end of the world' would have been in 2004.

Now that I say that, I remember reading in 2003 that the prophecies said that in 2006 the surface of the planet would have entirely changed.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I thought the Mayans made this prophecy to give gullible people something to do, :rolleyes:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I usually figure that they couldn't calculate beyond that point because of too many minute changes in star positions, earth rotations/revolutions, revolutions of the moon (which is actually changing...the moon is moving away from us until it reaches equilibrium), etc becoming just a little too 'big' to continue to calculate accurately. And I don't have much doubt in their consideration of this sort of thing when calculating their calendars before. If anything, I'm guessing the Mayans will just have to recalculate their calendar according to the new changes in space and geography.

The whole "end of the world" thing sounds a bit like someone misunderstood what the Mayans meant in the first place. I have a feeling it became like a game of "telephone".