• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reading religious texts in full

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In our research on type and spirituality, which involved interviews and e-correspondence with people of each type from all over the world, it was mostly the INTPs who said they'd read religious texts cover to cover. Usually it wasn't just the main one from their own cultural faith but the Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon and so on. They said, "How can you say you believe anything unless you understand it and also understand the alternatives?"

They also were most likely to pick up on bizarre patterns. Like why the obsession on what we wear on our heads?

INTPs all emailed us their answers. ESFJs all had us over for coffee.

That's very interesting. :)

Mole

Permabanned
I've read everything in the Bible at least once except Jeremiah and Ezekial. The Bible isn't a book you're going to read one time and understand. I'm still trying to get it figured out, and it's been years.

The problem is that you can't understand the Bible from the inside. That is, you can't understand the Bible in its own terms.

To understand the Bible, you need an external reference point.

You can't understand any trance from the inside because understanding is a cognitive faculty. And in a trance, even the Biblical trance, your cognitive faculties go to sleep so you trance faculities can awaken.

So it is necessary to wake from your Biblical trance in order to understand it.

No understanding can be found within the Biblical trance itself.

ygolo

My termites win
Has anyone here read in it's entirety, like from cover to cover like a normal book, any religious texts (i.e. Bible, Quran, Talmud, etc.)?

I've only ever met one person who did this with The Bible.

Yes. I read all of them that way the first time. (No "study" or "commentary" or anything of that sort the first time).

I liked the Bible stories as stories...To be honest, I did "speed read" the long lists of lineage, strictures, etc. when I read the Bible.

I read English versions of the Bhagavad Gita several times this way. IMO, the Gitas are the easiest to read "as normal books." Perhaps, I am biased.

I want to read the Heart Sutra, at some point, also.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Has anyone here read in it's entirety, like from cover to cover like a normal book, any religious texts (i.e. Bible, Quran, Talmud, etc.)?

I've only ever met one person who did this with The Bible.

I've read the whole Bible through once, but I've read most books of the Bible several times. I tend to skip most of the prophets though.

I'm not really surprised on a board with this many N's that quite a few people have read the whole thing.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ive read more than half for all of these (some of them ive read in full):

genesis, exodus, numbers, Deuteronomy, Leviticus, proverbs
Matthew, mark, james, timothy, 1 Corinthians, colossians, revelations

btw: numbers 31 is pretty funny

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The problem is that you can't understand the Bible from the inside. That is, you can't understand the Bible in its own terms.

To understand the Bible, you need an external reference point.

You can't understand any trance from the inside because understanding is a cognitive faculty. And in a trance, even the Biblical trance, your cognitive faculties go to sleep so you trance faculities can awaken.

So it is necessary to wake from your Biblical trance in order to understand it.

No understanding can be found within the Biblical trance itself.

So I should listen to Christian techno instead of Christian trance? :unsure:

MBTI Type
INxJ
I've read entire texts of most of the major religions. I was curious. I remain agnostic, with a sprinkling of atheist.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I am a Muslim but I have sadly never ever read through the whole Quran in order. I have over 150 pages memorized down to the last phonetic utterance. I guess 500 to go, but whenever I memorize I don't like to do it blindly just memorizing words, but instead I like to learn the reasons for revelation and meanings. This takes a while and most of what I have memorized is now rusty. Maybe I can start up on it again.