• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New thought on reincarnation

pep talk

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
This may be a little out there...
Yesterday, as I was meditating, this thought struck me, and I could not keep it away.
There are many universes out there- parallel worlds, etc.
I am inclined to think we reincarnate, evaluating each life upon death and then coming back in another body to keep on improving our souls.
But... what if reincarnation doesn't involve other selves living in other times, necessarily?
What if we reincarnate as ourselves again, in a parallel universe, to live out our lives by making different choices than the ones we have made in this world?
The thought continues to fascinate me, I just have to put it out here for discussion. Is there a school of thought that thinks this already? Has any one come across this thought? If so, please share!

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I don't think that would be the case. We pass from this world into the spirit world. We may be able to come back as a reincarnation. I don't know though. But I tend to stick to the one-world view of things (i.e. there is one physical universe and one spiritual [universe] which both can interact with each other)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had some memories of past lives, but I don't know about parallel universes. I don't think the larger context of existence is linear, though. That is a perception based on being beholden to time and space in existence as we experience it now in life.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool thread btw. Sorta need to trip out now. I'd like to hear people defend the parallel universe approach. I just don't have much to say about it.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I think about this all the time, but from a different angle I guess.
Let's see if I can even put any of my thoughts into words.
(Spoiler alert: I cannot)

First, the more I think about the repetition of patterns in the universe, the more I realize that it is possible we are programmed beings, and actually, I would argue that it's provable, but you have to start looking at things a bit differently (including the concept of programming... that's what DNA is, and that's what personality theory/type is, and if you overlap that with other concepts, such as the influence of energy on an object in a given place at a given time, and on and on and on... then it becomes easy to see how there could be 8 billion unique people, but unique only as far as extreme doppelgangers in looks and personality go, because if you really look close enough, you will see repeats). You have to get to know many layers of life, from the micro, to the macro, and beyond, but by beyond, I mean beyond the limits of your imagination and current understanding of things that were already defined for you by other people.

You have to start being able to question your sense of reality, and by "your", I mean both the individual experience and the greater definition of existence which has been decided by man, who measures everything within the confines of his perception, and judges everything within the confines of his understanding. This is important because who is to say that ghosts, for example, are in fact real and are actually a manifestation of beings in a parallel but overlapping universe which exists within different wavelengths (and different concepts than the ones that mankind uses to define reality).

That's just one "concrete" example (concrete in the sense that everyone is familiar with ghosts conceptually, so it is the most tangible example of the intangible).

Jesus... this is the kind of shit I normally make my boyfriends suffer through after a couple beers, fumbling to put actual words together and instead attempting to speak with my hands and a series of painted pictures that no one else can see but me.

There is no reason to assume that what we see is what we get. In fact, I think that's fucking asinine. You may as well just start aggressively stroking your dick while sultrily saying to yourself "I know everything... I... Know... Everyyyything....."

Leaving the concepts of reality, time, and space unquestioned is just silly.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'll come back when I can stick to the topic that you so clearly stated in your title, which apparently I lost track of while reading the other comments and thinking in my own maze of an obnoxious brain.

Or maybe I won't and we'll just call this one done. (whoops)

Scaven

MBTI Type
ENTP
It’s a really interesting thought you brought.
If I had to connect souls to parallel universes, I would imagine that whenever someone takes a decision, a parallel universe would be created. And every time one of your alternate selves take a decision, it would duplicate again. at the end, the soul version with the best outcome would be saved, the others dismissed. But that would mean that the world we live in is only created for ourselves, and we are the only soul here, creating a feeling of living in a simulation. There has to be new souls that are created, there are way more births than deaths. So, if the goal is to simply create perfect souls through experience, I would see it as a faster way than waiting and repeating the cycle again and again. But that would mean that parallel universes have to be created by taking decisions, and not everytime a particle has another state or however scientist think parallel universes work.

I think about this all the time, but from a different angle I guess.
Let's see if I can even put any of my thoughts into words.
(Spoiler alert: I cannot)

First, the more I think about the repetition of patterns in the universe, the more I realize that it is possible we are programmed beings, and actually, I would argue that it's provable, but you have to start looking at things a bit differently (including the concept of programming... that's what DNA is, and that's what personality theory/type is, and if you overlap that with other concepts, such as the influence of energy on an object in a given place at a given time, and on and on and on... then it becomes easy to see how there could be 8 billion unique people, but unique only as far as extreme doppelgangers in looks and personality go, because if you really look close enough, you will see repeats). You have to get to know many layers of life, from the micro, to the macro, and beyond, but by beyond, I mean beyond the limits of your imagination and current understanding of things that were already defined for you by other people.

You have to start being able to question your sense of reality, and by "your", I mean both the individual experience and the greater definition of existence which has been decided by man, who measures everything within the confines of his perception, and judges everything within the confines of his understanding. This is important because who is to say that ghosts, for example, are in fact real and are actually a manifestation of beings in a parallel but overlapping universe which exists within different wavelengths (and different concepts than the ones that mankind uses to define reality).

That's just one "concrete" example (concrete in the sense that everyone is familiar with ghosts conceptually, so it is the most tangible example of the intangible).

Jesus... this is the kind of shit I normally make my boyfriends suffer through after a couple beers, fumbling to put actual words together and instead attempting to speak with my hands and a series of painted pictures that no one else can see but me.

There is no reason to assume that what we see is what we get. In fact, I think that's fucking asinine. You may as well just start aggressively stroking your dick while sultrily saying to yourself "I know everything... I... Know... Everyyyything....."

Leaving the concepts of reality, time, and space unquestioned is just silly.

I completely agree. When I was a kid, like around 9 or 10, I remember watching TV in a hotel. I landed at the end of a movie, and there was a scene that never left my mind.
It was before YouTube existed, yet I was able to find it recently. That ideas are able to be so powerful that they shatter your world of view is astonishing. When you are a kid, you don’t really think about what is real and what not. You simply think that what you see is real. But when that scene entered my mind, it was almost as if the world turned upside down. It was the first time I had my mind blown. That the sword could have been there by any reason, but Jeanne saw it as a sign from god, left me speechless, and since then I always ask myself if what I take as true is not simply what I want to be true.