First 2345 Last

Professional Cat Charmerβ„’ Aerix's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

People are always looking for confirmation of their faith. The Bible basically implies there's not evidence by saying that people have to have faith to believe though. If there was evidence out there, that would no longer be true...so funny enough, to find solid evidence is to prove the Bible wrong at least in one area, which would make it more questionable.
    πŸ™Ÿ 𝔧𝔬π”₯π”žπ”―π”¦ | 𝔫𝔬π”₯π”žπ”―π”¦ πŸ™

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus V.
    Potentially the least subtle person I know
    -Β·- Β·- -Β·Β· --- - Β·-

I sort of think that being attached to a single book, or even a series of books, can be a real fault of some religious devotees, of any sort of thinking really, it suggests something dead as opposed to something living I think.

I think that living traditions, which might comprise rituals, in the Confucian rather than conjuring sense, are more important than singular texts or accounts. Although I do think that exegesis or interrogating texts for meanings which remain relevant can be useful but secondary to some sort of tradition and practice. Always. Religions should be about what you do as opposed to what you think and it was a serious blind alley that religion took in the western world when it took that turn.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aerix View Post
    People are always looking for confirmation of their faith. The Bible basically implies there's not evidence by saying that people have to have faith to believe though. If there was evidence out there, that would no longer be true...so funny enough, to find solid evidence is to prove the Bible wrong at least in one area, which would make it more questionable.
    Faith is not subject to proof. In fact, almost by definition, faith it acceptance of something in the absence of proof. When people speak of disproving something in the Bible, they are generally attacking it on a historical or scientific basis. Neither is necessary for faith. We don't ask, for instance, whether Aesop's Fables are true. Most people understand that the truth conveyed by the story of the tortoise and the hare requires neither that their famous footrace actually took place, nor that such animals had the ability to organize and converse about it.
    β€œAll opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”– Douglas Adams
    Likes Lord Lavender, Red Memories liked this post

Saturn's Amethyst Lord Lavender's Avatar
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I see the Bible as a bunch of fables kind of like Aesop's fables. I don't think everything in the Bible is historically accurate but it has value as a book of guidance and personal growth. Oooooh I was wondering they should cross the Bible with some other mythologies I think all mythologies have value to use it just happens Christianity survived other mythologies. It would be a fun bit of work and I think it would have some good moral lessons like maybe tolerance fro other groups like God letting go of the idea he is the only one true god and that Loki has as much right to exist as he does. Anyways to answer the thread title I don't think the Bible has political or moral legimately no book does but it deserves respect as a human cultural standing.

NITE FLIGHTS Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I like the song B.I.B.L.E. (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth), but it doesn't really fit with the flow of the album and feels more like a tacked on bonus track.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Faith is not subject to proof. In fact, almost by definition, faith is acceptance of something in the absence of proof. When people speak of disproving something in the Bible, they are generally attacking it on a historical or scientific basis. Neither is necessary for faith. We don't ask, for instance, whether Aesop's Fables are true. Most people understand that the truth conveyed by the story of the tortoise and the hare requires neither that their famous footrace actually took place, nor that such animals had the ability to organize and converse about it.
    That was sort of my point, it's acceptance in the absence of proof...so if there was proof, how would they be believing out of faith?

-Β·- Β·- -Β·Β· --- - Β·-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm a strong believer in the Problem of Evil trilemma. I've thoroughly studied the Bible and used to be Christian. I was born into a family of nothing but Christians (my brother and I are the only exceptions), thus being exposed to these things all my life until I was 27. When I was 24/25 I took to a Christianity that was somewhat different than what I was raised on, and that was when I read it daily and started digging deeper into it. The church I was with challenged the traditional beliefs, pointing out how certain popular concepts did not actually exist in the Bible. For example, people talk about the 3 kings who took gifts to baby Jesus, but that isn't in the Bible at all. I was against the traditional beliefs that most of my family followed, as I thought it was hypocritical and there was a lot of self-delusion taking place, so this appealed to me. The problem I encountered during my studies was ultimately part of what caused me to walk away from it; I couldn't help but to perceive the Biblical God as evil. There are many, many reasons for this. Some examples were direct, such as ordering babies to be put to death in the Old Testament simply because they were born to the Palestines. If Christians or Jews did this in today's times we'd call them terrorists - and this is the same God who said don't murder, yet He ordered the Jews to murder babies. I therefore couldn't help but to see this God as a hypocrite or a God with double standards, not to mention it made no sense that He would order the Jews to do something He had simultaneously commanded them not to do. Others were matters of logical reasoning that tie back into the philosophical Problem of Evil linked above - basically, I was arriving to the same conclusion as them on my own, except I was accepting He was 'all knowing' and 'all powerful,' thus I kept seeing Him as 'not all good.'

-Β·- Β·- -Β·Β· --- - Β·-

Any book gets its authority from the author. And the author of the Bible is ultimately the Author of the Universe. Unfortunately the book is dead, and it's author is dead.

The death of the book has given rise to the net.

The Bible was once the infallible word of God, but today is merely a status symbol, waved by the President in front of the White House.

MBTI
    ExFx
    Enneagram
    2 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Any book gets its authority from the author. And the author of the Bible is ultimately the Author of the Universe. Unfortunately the book is dead, and it's author is dead.

The death of the book has given rise to the net.

The Bible was once the infallible word of God, but today is merely a status symbol, waved by the President in front of the White House.
    I suppose if you feel that way, but Christians still do exist, and we still think it means a lot more than that jackass using it as a prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Memories View Post
    I suppose if you feel that way, but Christians still do exist, and we still think it means a lot more than that jackass using it as a prop.
    In 1440 the printing press gave us the vernacular Bible, and today the book is the content of the net.

So we say poetically, the book is dead, the author is dead, and the Author of the Universe is dead, and the literate individual is dead, while electronic tribes, like typology central, proliferate.