• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you a materialist or a dualist?

Which one best represents your view?

• Total voters

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Materialism

The philosophy of materialism holds that the only thing that can be truly proven to exist is matter, and is considered a form of physicalism. Fundamentally, all things are composed of material and all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions; therefore, matter is the only substance.
Materialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dualist

In philosophy of mind, dualism is a set of views about the relationship between mind and matter, which begins with the claim that mental phenomena are, in some respects, non-physical.
Dualism (philosophy of mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I'm a materialist. Believing in dualism (and often by extension - souls, spirits, God(s), New Age..) sounds nice, but I know the main arguments in favor of dualism, and none convince me so far or cause me to doubt materialism. The 'subjectivity of mental states' argument is I think the strongest argument for dualism.

I'd like to what you all think on the subject and where you stand.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well, in the words of my professor, "Descartes, damn your hide!"

T

ThatGirl

I believe there are things I cannot comprehend, one way or another there is always more than what meets the eye

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I believe there are things I cannot comprehend, one way or another there is always more than what meets the eye

Alright, but I don't think that really negates materialism. Do you believe these things you can't comprehend are still made of matter?

T

ThatGirl

Alright, but I don't think that really negates materialism. Do you believe these things you can't comprehend are still made of matter?

I dont believe I contain the knowlegde to conclude something like that.

People thought the earth was flat, because they didn't know any better. Unless you believe we have somehow maxed out our understanding of what exists in matter form, ....eh I am just not so quick to conclude anything, and like to think there is more than what we know as truth now.

Whatever that may be.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I dont believe I contain the knowlegde to conclude something like that.

People thought the earth was flat, because they didn't know any better. Unless you believe we have somehow maxed out our understanding of what exists in matter form, ....eh I am just not so quick to conclude anything, and like to think there is more than what we know as truth now.

Whatever that may be.

The bolded does not equal materialism.

T

ThatGirl

then I cant answer that. I believe there are things I am still unsure of.

I guess then dualism for me? I guess it is the whole double standered, unless you can prove it does or doesnt exist, I don't make a decision.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
then I cant answer that. I believe there are things I am still unsure of.

I guess then dualism for me? I guess it is the whole double standered, unless you can prove it does or doesnt exist, I don't make a decision.

The nature of a decision is that it is based off of the contingent. If it weren't, and something were proved either way, you wouldn't be making much of a decision.

T

ThatGirl

No, there is the math behind it, and the weighing of probability and odds. But conclusion is much more deffinate, I don't throw that around carelessly.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
No, there is the math behind it, and the weighing of probability and odds. But conclusion is much more deffinate, I don't throw that around carelessly.

You do realize that "the weighing of probability and odds" still falls in the realm of the contingent?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Dualism seems to be out of fashion these days. Lots of Descartes hate going on.
I've hated him since the eighth grade when I first had to do a report on him.

He does *not* tickle my fancy.

I have issues with reductionism, too, but I dunno, the biologically inclined girl in me laughs at the idea that a soul exists separate from the body. :huh:

S

Sniffles

Care to explain how your view isn't compatible with either?

Long story short: as a Catholic, I cant be a materialist since it denies the metaphysical(or at least the value of it). Dualism, at least as you explained it, seems to assume a contarian relation between the material and the immaterial. I don't agree with that.

T

ThatGirl

Not necessarily if you still entertain the idea that there are other possibilities that have yet to be considered that may very well exist but not necessarily in your line of vision. You make due with the knowledge you are given, but still understand that knowledge is out there that you don't contain,....but its there.

What is that?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Not necessarily if you still entertain the idea that there are other possibilities that have yet to be considered that may very well exist but not necessarily in your line of vision. You make due with the knowledge you are given, but still understand that knowledge is out there that you don't contain,....but its there.

What is that?

That is what contingent means.

As for which philosophy that falls under, it could be either. Materialists do not claim to know everything any more than dualists do.

T

ThatGirl

That is what contingent means.

As for which philosophy that falls under, it could be either. Materialists do not claim to know everything any more than dualists do.

That is not contingent. That is the most likely, not by chance but through understanding, growth comes from the ability to recognize that which is beyond our comprehension beyond understanding. Decision making comes from what we understand as is and weighing now, growth comes from understanding what could be. They are two seperate things.

From what I understand.

Am I even on topic?