• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Art of War?

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, more often than not, a woman cannot match male machismo, so in the company of gung ho young warriors she is most likely to keep a lower profile, even if she is normally assertive.

Under the proper circumstances, women make effective fighters - Soviets used female snipers with great success during WW2.

Yes, I can attest to the fact that the female attack helicopter pilots I met were pretty "business oriented" and ruthless. Stellar reflexes and no hesitation in using them.

Israel uses females in IDF, although they keep them away from infantry because male soldiers tend to make irrational decisions in protecting female soldiers on the battlefield (due to instincts), therefore making female/male infantry mix ineffective.

We studied this in military school. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it is still the primary reason keeping women out of infantry and armor branches in the US Army.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
A recent study was conducted in Texas university I believe, showing that estrogen has the same effect on competitiveness in women that testrogen has in men...

Very interesting. I guess we might be more "equal" than I originally imagined.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well no worries either you're just like me I have to reply but then thats just cos I'm ENFP and communication can NEVER be broken :)

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I hear you
But you're not allowed to, there must be no harmony between NT and NF given the present climate on the forum and the fact that we are posting this sweet little discourse on a thread entitled "The Art of War" is not gonna go down favourably. What is our angle gonna be Nighthawk, The art of war is 'Hearing' eachother?! COme on I'll get my story straight and you get yours :D

S

Sniffles

Von Clausewitz hit the nail on the head when he stated that war is simply politics by other means.

I'll return to this topic later, since it's been one that's interested me since I was a child.

Under the proper circumstances, women make effective fighters - Soviets used female snipers with great success during WW2.

Let's keep some things in mind. A million women served in the Red Army during WWII, and since total Soviet military strength reached a height of 12 million....well do the math. Yet out of that million, only a quarter million were ever trained to actually shoot....so again do the math.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
But you're not allowed to, there must be no harmony between NT and NF given the present climate on the forum and the fact that we are posting this sweet little discourse on a thread entitled "The Art of War" is not gonna go down favourably. What is our angle gonna be Nighthawk, The art of war is 'Hearing' eachother?! COme on I'll get my story straight and you get yours :D

Ah yes ... derailing is one of the unfortunate byproducts of my existence. As for harmony ... I'll pretty much always have that with NFs. Just a factor of my inferior Fe finally coming out after all these years.

Now back to warfighting! :D

S

Sniffles

In not so flippant terms ... testosterone.

When I was a soldier in my teens and 20's, I couldn't wait to practice my craft and test my mettle. I wanted to see if I could hang in combat. I had that opportunity in my late 20's and witnessed the horrors of armed conflict. It gave me cause to re-evaluate my dogmatic belief system. As I have aged and lost testosterone, I have found very few issues worthy of armed conflict. In a nutshell, I grow farther left every day. I honestly think war is often caused by some hyped up penis contest to determine who is the alpha male. Would be interesting to see what would happen if women ran the world.

I've never been in combat myself(army rejected me), but I can sympathise with these sentiments. I myself have re-evaluated my earlier attitudes towards warfare from my teenage years. Now I would say that I'm neither a pacifist nor a war-monger.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Let's keep some things in mind. A million women served in the Red Army during WWII, and since total Soviet military strength reached a height of 12 million....well do the math. Yet out of that million, only a quarter million were ever trained to actually shoot....so again do the math.

Not sure what's the point you are tying to make.

Just because not all women in the Red Army were trained for actual combat, that does not negate the fact that the ones that were trained and participated in combat were effective.

There was also an issue of limited resources...

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
The Art of War is an absolutely stellar book.

War is caused for whatever reason seems appropriate. It is good as population control and some good ol' fashioned darwinism. Our species would be much weaker if we never war'd. That's just my input.

S

Sniffles

Von Clausewitz is certainly very good, if heavier reading. Even Machiavelli's Art of War is pretty interesting, at least Book One concerning the relationship between war and politics. He makes a convicing case for citizen soldiers as opposed profession ones.

I recently obtained an anthology containing excerpts of Antoine Henri de Jomini's Art of War as well.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I also recommend Coup d'État: A Practical Handbook by Edward N. Luttwak

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
The art of war is a good art. War and rivalry forces humanity to compete and fuels the struggle for eternal greatness.