• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Obama the Messiah?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
If you're one of the people who have hated or disliked the Bush administration and the general way things have gone lately with the country, which there are a lot of, it makes sense the at idea of change would very popular. Obama was smart to capitalize on that sentiment.
No one I know of has said the man isn't smart, or charismatic. These things are actually the problem imo. :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
For those who are curious at the support for Obama in light of his hazy message of "hope" and nonspecific promise of "change"...I don't think his supporters necessarily think he's the cure all any more than you do. McCain's supporters say "We don't know what we're getting in Obama".

These things are very, very true. But when you have a known quantity and an unknown quantity, and you can't stomach the known quantity, you roll the dice.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
For those who are curious at the support for Obama in light of his hazy message of "hope" and nonspecific promise of "change"...I don't think his supporters necessarily think he's the cure all any more than you do. McCain's supporters say "We don't know what we're getting in Obama".

These things are very, very true. But when you have a known quantity and an unknown quantity, and you can't stomach the known quantity, you roll the dice.
You vastly overestimate the mental presence of the voting public on the whole. For serious. I personally and otherwise know of more specific people who can't define their affection for Obama in rational terms than who can. And they haven't analyzed McCain at all, so his being "the constant" is irrelevant in regard to these voters.

It makes me...almost physically ill

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
That's the thing that astounds me. I don't understand getting rabidly excited about a nonspecific promise of "change." Things don't change all that much, no matter who's in the Oval Office. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

Aww, be nice to people, let them have their false hope!

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not an American, but I supported Obama. He's not the Messiah, obviously... but logically speaking:

If McCain was elected, he'd probably (statistically) croak in a few months, leaving us with Sarah Palin for the rest of his term.

If Obama was elected, he'd probably get shot in a few months by Neo-Nazis/KKK members, which would leave us with Joe Biden for the rest of his term.

I would choose Joe.

Yes, this is unbelievably cynical. I'm glad that Obama won and made all of his pretty speeches about change, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Maybe it's all just a bad dream, if I turn on the television it will still be the year 2000. (And no Obama is not the Messiah--that position is taken--and he is not antiChrist...)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...It makes me...almost physically ill

it's probably just the flu.
(Two of my kids got it this week.)

However.... *I* got my shot last week. :smile:

...I'm glad that Obama won and made all of his pretty speeches about change, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd hate to be in his shoes.
Then again, he's unflappable, as the campaign shows. He'll probably ride it out.

I wonder if Joe the Plumber will get a cabinet position.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
While Barack Obama is not in any way a guarantee of positive change, he's at least brought some hope. Let's see what he does with it... Something tells me that he might just pull off a few cool things before his term ends. He's definitely a wildcard.
If things are handled right, this may push the United States toward a less aggressive approach in foreign policy, too.

A little question.
He obviously outsmarted and outmaneuvered McCain and the republicans. At the same time as he makes promises of positive change for the population of the United States AND the people out there who have suffered from your foreign policy. The people of the world thinks Obama is the best choice, and the people of the United States thinks so, too.

Does he not deserve his term as president?

Come on, give it a chance.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Not an American, but I supported Obama. He's not the Messiah, obviously... but logically speaking:

If McCain was elected, he'd probably (statistically) croak in a few months, leaving us with Sarah Palin for the rest of his term.

If Obama was elected, he'd probably get shot in a few months by Neo-Nazis/KKK members, which would leave us with Joe Biden for the rest of his term.

I would choose Joe.

Yes, this is unbelievably cynical. I'm glad that Obama won and made all of his pretty speeches about change, but I'll believe it when I see it.

hmmm... i don't think its unbelievably cynical. its average cynical. =)

MadamI'madaM

MBTI Type
I've had "The Man Who Sold the World" stuck in my head since last night. (not joking)

I hope it's just my head fucking with me.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ

I like it.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just wanted to add my two cents and say that this morning when I woke up to take my dog outside I found an envelope stuck under my door with money in it from 'a friend'. I still have no idea who left it, and when I texted my Mom to tell her about it she sent me this (complete with typos):

"Wow who coujd that b ? Obama ! He said we would c change immediately ! Lol! Wonder who ?"

I laughed until I cried.

Airius

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just wanted to add my two cents and say that this morning when I woke up to take my dog outside I found an envelope stuck under my door with money in it from 'a friend'. I still have no idea who left it, and when I texted my Mom to tell her about it she sent me this (complete with typos):

"Wow who coujd that b ? Obama ! He said we would c change immediately ! Lol! Wonder who ?"

I laughed until I cried.

Haha!

MBTI Type
ENTP

I was thinking about this last night and I could totally see Obama being assassinated, and then seconds later a new "anti-hate" constitutional amendment. ugh.

Or you could have done some research. Obama's track record indicates he's not at all the reformer he made himself out to be. He's a pretty typical status quo democrat, which is fine if you're a typical democrat voter, but lots of people voted because they had the misguided notion that he was some kind of bipartisan iconoclast.