• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enlightenment

á´…eparted

passages
A dedication to learning and in spite of hardship, synthesizing and pioneering information that may not have been connected or appear related before, and always holding the human condition - regardless of what others might argue or threaten - as paramount and something that is never to be sacrificed.

Enlightenment is a verb, not a noun.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Enlightenment in the religious sense of the word cannot be articulated in words. I don't think it can truly understood until one is there, and they will never be able to fully explain it to the unenlightened. Many will think they are enlightened or close to enlightenment, but most will never reach this state of being. Or non-being?

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp

Аre you sure?

noun
the action of enlightening or the state of being enlightened.
"Robbie looked to me for enlightenment"
Similar:
understanding
insight
education
learning
knowledge
awareness
information
erudition
wisdom
instruction
teaching
illumination
light
edification
awakening
culture
refinement
cultivation
civilization
sophistication
advancement
development
liberalism
open-mindedness
broad-mindedness
an aha moment

Аntonym:
ignorance
benightedness

a European intellectual movement of the late 17th and 18th centuries emphasizing reason and individualism rather than tradition. It was heavily influenced by 17th-century philosophers such as Descartes, Locke, and Newton, and its prominent figures included Kant, Goethe, Voltaire, Rousseau, and Adam Smith.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Аre you sure?

noun
the action of enlightening or the state of being enlightened.
"Robbie looked to me for enlightenment"
Similar:
understanding
insight
education
learning
knowledge
awareness
information
erudition
wisdom
instruction
teaching
illumination
light
edification
awakening
culture
refinement
cultivation
civilization
sophistication
advancement
development
liberalism
open-mindedness
broad-mindedness
an aha moment

Аntonym:
ignorance
benightedness

a European intellectual movement of the late 17th and 18th centuries emphasizing reason and individualism rather than tradition. It was heavily influenced by 17th-century philosophers such as Descartes, Locke, and Newton, and its prominent figures included Kant, Goethe, Voltaire, Rousseau, and Adam Smith.

He was trying to make a point in a less literal manner.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
That depends in whoch way you mean it.
A dedication to learning and in spite of hardship, synthesizing and pioneering information that may not have been connected or appear related before, and always holding the human condition - regardless of what others might argue or threaten - as paramount and something that is never to be sacrificed.

Yeah, this is english version of “ Enlighten” ; to learn. But that’s not how how I took it.

I hear “ enlightenment” and think of the Buddhist version

I think any Zen monk would tell you it “Just is” and the idea of arguing it’s grammatical title would really only prove a complete misunderstanding the very concept of enlightenment.

Enlightenment in the religious sense of the word cannot be articulated in words. I don't think it can truly understood until one is there, and they will never be able to fully explain it to the unenlightened. Many will think they are enlightened or close to enlightenment, but most will never reach this state of being. Or non-being?

Nope, it’s just contentment and people reach it all the time. The common misunderstabding is that one can remain ‘in enlightenment’ but like any other state if mind/feeling, it exists in only moments.

Trying to remain in a state of enlightenment entirely defeats the purpose of the idea itself.

A practice to put one’s self in the mindset of enlightenment is a visual kaon, ( yes, you’ve heard of it) a classic example is the question
“ What is the sound if one hand clapping?” It’s not supposed to have an answer, it is meant to be paradoxical and is helpful in meditation because it encourages us ‘escape the constraints of a rational mind’ and just exist-that is enlightenment.

So it be said that enlightenment is absolutely “ being” and nothing else.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This is spirituality and philosophy. ( which is why I’m lead to believe the topic is about the Buddhist, and not the English/American version) the bonfire.

okay? I have no problem with that? :shrug: Ive been thinking about the question all morning, looking at it from both sides, how ive heard it used in both contexts. I kept having flashes of the GI Joe PSAs :shock: "What is enlightment?" "It is." "Now I know." And knowing is half the battle daniel san. :D

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
okay? I have no problem with that? :shrug: Ive been thinking about the question all morning, looking at it from both sides, how ive heard it used in both contexts. I kept having flashes of the GI Joe PSAs :shock: "What is enlightment?" "It is." "Now I know." And knowing is half the battle daniel san. :D

That does make a certain amount of sense. My Ni has failed me today.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That depends in whoch way you mean it.

Yeah, this is english version of “ Enlighten” ; to learn. But that’s not how how I took it.

I hear “ enlightenment” and think of the Buddhist version

I think any Zen monk would tell you it “Just is” and the idea of arguing it’s grammatical title would really only prove a complete misunderstanding the very concept of enlightenment.

Nope, it’s just contentment and people reach it all the time. The common misunderstabding is that one can remain ‘in enlightenment’ but like any other state if mind/feeling, it exists in only moments.

Trying to remain in a state of enlightenment entirely defeats the purpose of the idea itself.

A practice to put one’s self in the mindset of enlightenment is a visual kaon, ( yes, you’ve heard of it) a classic example is the question
“ What is the sound if one hand clapping?” It’s not supposed to have an answer, it is meant to be paradoxical and is helpful in meditation because it encourages us ‘escape the constraints of a rational mind’ and just exist-that is enlightenment.

So it be said that enlightenment is absolutely “ being” and nothing else.
You have confirmed my points

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

They might believe that by discovering religion, spirituality or some other belief they've not encountered before, that makes them enlightened. But it just makes them a believer or a follower. Then they become an advocate or mobilizer for that belief. They're more educated than they were previously. But I rarely hear anyone describing education or knowledge outside of the religious or spiritual as "enlightenment", where as centuries ago, that's exactly what enlightened referred to.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
That you can't explain it rationally. Impersonally: "It is what it is."

Or as the Eternal Logos said (or as the Chinese would say, The Dao): I AM THAT I AM.

I just did explain it. It’s ‘contentment’.

One; I was speaking from from a grammatical sense. Twi; I was being facetious, pretty sure you know that.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Unconditional acceptance parallel to existence. Not so hard during peaceful setting meditation, but tricky under duress.

I just did explain it. It’s ‘contentment’.

One; I was speaking from from a grammatical sense. Twi; I was being facetious, pretty sure you know that.

When I used you in the original statement:

That you can't explain it rationally.

It was the royal you, as in we, people, in general. But, if you believe that 'contentment' is the explanation of what it is to be 'enlightened,' well then, more enlightenment to you. :)