• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is capitalism a religion?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Capitalism is an economic system. In it the government plays a secondary role. People and companies 400 people make most of the decisions, and own most of the property. The means of production are largely or entirely privately owned (by individuals or companies) and operated for profit.

It's that simple, people.

FTFY. At least, that's the way capitalism operates at the present moment, and it was like that before Trump.

Jaguar

FTFY. At least, that's the way capitalism operates at the present moment, and it was like that before Trump. [400 people make most of the decisions, and own most of the property.]

Heaven forbid people start a company out of their garage.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Heaven forbid people start a company out of their garage.

Oy. No one is even suggesting this not continue. Try to think of how many more people might start a company in their garage if they had even one less thing they had to work at a job for? Health insurance maybe? It's something to consider if you are truly for American entrepreneurial spirit.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Oy. No one is even suggesting this not continue. Try to think of how many more people might start a company in their garage if they had even one less thing they had to work at a job for? Health insurance maybe? It's something to consider if you are truly for American entrepreneurial spirit.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not strongly opposed to universal basic income. but it would probably have to be at the expense of a lot of pre-existing programs..

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Capitalism is an economic system. In it the government plays a secondary role. People and companies make most of the decisions, and own most of the property. The means of production are largely or entirely privately owned (by individuals or companies) and operated for profit.

It's that simple, people.

Small picture

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This is one of the reasons why I'm not strongly opposed to universal basic income. but it would probably have to be at the expense of a lot of pre-existing programs..

Agreed. I was having a discussion the other day on UBI vs FJG (Federal Jobs Guarantee). I think FJG would be the best, at least for now. I don't disagree with what Yang is proposing but under the current economic system, it's simply not an option - the "market" would adjust overnight.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Obviously not.
Is there a god in capitalism? No.
Do people pray in capitalism? No.
Are there congregations dedicated to capitalism? No.
Is capitalism based on theory or part of a belief in something non-existent? No.

Don't test me in responding that such a comparison is valid in any shape, form, or matter. :ng_mad:

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Obviously not. Is there a god in capitalism? No. Do people pray in capitalism? No. Are there congregations dedicated to capitalism? No. Is capitalism based on theory or part of a belief in something non-existent? No. Don't test me in responding that such a comparison is valid in any shape, form, or matter. :ng_mad:
You have a- dare I say- dogmatically religious and narrow definition of religion. God can be your toothbrush, if that's the most important thing to you.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Is there a god in capitalism?

Are there congregations dedicated to capitalism?

Is capitalism based on theory or part of a belief in something non-existent?

I went through two currency crashes in my life and those weren't the end of world. (as some people like to claim)

Don't test me in responding that such a comparison is valid in any shape, form, or matter. :ng_mad:

I am sorry, I just like it when a girl throws me "a bone". :wink:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FWIW the prosperity gospel is a literal religious application of Bible Belt conception of capitalism. It is the Church of Capitalism, albeit a little weirder philosophically than the original political theory.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Obviously not.
Is there a god in capitalism? No.
Are there congregations dedicated to capitalism? No.
Is capitalism based on theory or part of a belief in something non-existent? No.

Explain Joel Osteen and the 52,000 members of his congregation.

Lark

I think Weber was closer the mark with his Protestant Ethic and The Spirit of Capitalism than Marx was but Marx was more nearer the mark than anyone before or since in his analysis of capitalism I think, its largely a literary/theoretical analysis but its better than Mill or many who lived long enough to see capitalism become less an objective system and more a useful fiction for the ruling classes.

Jaguar

The lengths that people will go to in order to shit on progress never ceases to amaze me. Btw, I'm an E8. Not an E6 - I don't come up with reasons not to do something because the sky might fall on me.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I went through two currency crashes in my life and those weren't the end of world. (as some people like to claim)

I am sorry, I just like it when a girl throws me "a bone". :wink:

You test me.