User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    27,286

    Default The Mist and mankind's ability to deal with the Uncanny

    I think the movie/story The Mist has a lot of different things to recommend it but I always really liked the conclusion and the point I felt it was making about hope vs despair.

    Plot points for the movie follow:



    This probably is type related but I was wondering what do you think is mankind's default when confronted with the truly uncanny like in this movie? Is it despair, insanity and death? Or do you think most people would be more likely to trust or be part of mankind prevailing against the odds? Why?

  2. #2
    Devoured Sung Jin-Woo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    3,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think the movie/story The Mist has a lot of different things to recommend it but I always really liked the conclusion and the point I felt it was making about hope vs despair.

    Plot points for the movie follow:



    This probably is type related but I was wondering what do you think is mankind's default when confronted with the truly uncanny like in this movie? Is it despair, insanity and death? Or do you think most people would be more likely to trust or be part of mankind prevailing against the odds? Why?
    The ending in the movie was different than the book. I did like the movie ending more though.

    I think humanity would adapt, and learn to survive against the odds. Mankind will have to return to survivalist thinking though. If humans are united against a common enemy, they tend to overlook or forgive past transgressions. So yeah, people would trust more to survive, especially if not confident in their own ability.

  3. #3
    A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx
    Posts
    14,910

    Default

    Depends on the person. But I think the point of the ending of the mist is to question what true horror is. The monsters who affect your survival or the choices you make and have to live with. Regardless of your ethics and what you feel is right in the moment. The world covered in mist filled with monsters or the one you see in the mirror when you make a mistake you can't come back from. Which is more horrific.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

  4. #4
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Uncanny doesn't necessarily mean bad.

    The uncanny is associated with the deep unconscious; beyond the uncanny is the miraculous.
    the lone star flies alone

  5. #5
    A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx
    Posts
    14,910

    Default

    also the X-men
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

  6. #6

    Default

    The biggest thing I took away from the movie wasn’t the ending. Although the ending was unexpected and I did enjoy the movie overall.

    It was the supermarket or department store madness that I found interesting. How ignorance about a situation drives people to madness as they grapple to fill in the blanks. How one lady in that store made a bad situation a lot worse by stirring up paranoia as she manipulated the crowd. It reminds me of Midnight, one of my favorite episodes of Dr. Who or Night of the Living Dead. The theme of normal people being put into unusual circumstances and how fear and stress can transform them into an ugly mob.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker
    Likes The Cat liked this post

  7. #7
    c'est la vie Obfuscate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni
    Posts
    1,813

    Default

    gotta agree with pop... the store was the location of the most interesting dynamics... i expect people to act a bit like that when things are fucked/isolated enough...
    "giving a fuck is my dump stat"
    Likes The Cat liked this post

  8. #8
    A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx
    Posts
    14,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    The biggest thing I took away from the movie wasn’t the ending. Although the ending was unexpected and I did enjoy the movie overall.

    It was the supermarket or department store madness that I found interesting. How ignorance about a situation drives people to madness as they grapple to fill in the blanks. How one lady in that store made a bad situation a lot worse by stirring up paranoia as she manipulated the crowd. It reminds me of Midnight, one of my favorite episodes of Dr. Who or Night of the Living Dead. The theme of normal people being put into unusual circumstances and how fear and stress can transform them into an ugly mob.
    Yeah. I'm with Pops and Ob on this one.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    27,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    The biggest thing I took away from the movie wasn’t the ending. Although the ending was unexpected and I did enjoy the movie overall.

    It was the supermarket or department store madness that I found interesting. How ignorance about a situation drives people to madness as they grapple to fill in the blanks. How one lady in that store made a bad situation a lot worse by stirring up paranoia as she manipulated the crowd. It reminds me of Midnight, one of my favorite episodes of Dr. Who or Night of the Living Dead. The theme of normal people being put into unusual circumstances and how fear and stress can transform them into an ugly mob.
    I read someone from the RCC press interviewed King about this movie once, apparently its choc full of religious themes deliberately, King said its meant to challenge a lot of stereotypes about religious people or thinking without denying that the bad sorts are actually, definitely a thing, which I sure thought.

    Apparently the bit where that biker dude who appears like a real hard case says something like "I believe in God too, just not the blood thirsty douche you make him out to be" and then goes out into the Mist is pretty significant, or so said King, although that same dude dies. That and the fact the lady who leaves at the beginning can be seen riding back into town in the back of the troop carrier vehicle at the end.

    There are themes about hope for sure, not despairing despite the odds.

    The movie is also meant to showcase King's fear of spiders, insects and insectoide monsters. The Leech scene in Stand By Me is about that too.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I read someone from the RCC press interviewed King about this movie once, apparently its choc full of religious themes deliberately, King said its meant to challenge a lot of stereotypes about religious people or thinking without denying that the bad sorts are actually, definitely a thing, which I sure thought.

    Apparently the bit where that biker dude who appears like a real hard case says something like "I believe in God too, just not the blood thirsty douche you make him out to be" and then goes out into the Mist is pretty significant, or so said King, although that same dude dies. That and the fact the lady who leaves at the beginning can be seen riding back into town in the back of the troop carrier vehicle at the end.

    There are themes about hope for sure, not despairing despite the odds.

    The movie is also meant to showcase King's fear of spiders, insects and insectoide monsters. The Leech scene in Stand By Me is about that too.
    I’m not very religious. That being said, I don’t automatically regard people that are as being zealots. There are degrees of belief coupled with degrees of mental stability. The lady in The Mist was obviously a character meant to represent a mindset more like that of a person living in the Middle Ages, where superstition held far more sway than science. I don’t find religion and science have to be mutually exclusive either. I don’t necessarily dismiss the possibility of a higher power.

    I share Stephen King’s aversion to spiders. I hate the damned things!
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker

Similar Threads

  1. How to deal with desire and ambition?
    By ygolo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-26-2014, 08:22 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
  3. [ENTP] Social insecurity and how to deal with it? (Recent problem included)
    By Mondo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO