• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think people are more money orientated and materialistic than they once were?

Lark

Do you think people are more money orientated than they once were?

I'm thinking since I read John Cleese tweets about England having changed as he relocated elsewhere in the world, one of the reasons he mentioned was that the place had become more money orientated and I wonder if this is a general trend or not?

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah...I suddenly feel nostalgic about the time I could eat those chocolate coins. Just the pleasure of chocolate on my tongue.

No questions about banks.

Of course my parents didn't miss to tell me they had been paying for the chocolate I was eating if I didn't behave as they wanted to.

Finally I realise I don't feel as nostalgic as I was thinking.

Tengri

I'm thinking since I read John Cleese tweets about England having changed as he relocated elsewhere in the world, one of the reasons he mentioned was that the place had become more money orientated and I wonder if this is a general trend or not?
Yes, I think that the simplest answer is that material consumerism has bled into most modern, industrialized cultures. With some exceptions where collectivism and a strong conservatism for traditional ideas and practices has delayed the inevitable individual-centric nature of this economic system, the show of wealth across all strata of society looks more alike than it ever has in recent history. The trend of building Mcmansions in the US east coast, hearthland, and rust belt regions is an obvious example of ostentatious lifestyle models that are exaggerations of personal wealth; if anything, it is reflective of debt culture or what people do not have. Having grown up in a family that fell prey to some of this, it's something that rankles my sensibilities - and living in an area now that is sprawling the same unsustainable standard of living at an alarming rate, it's exasperating. While I don't believe that people are necessarily more wealth-conscious or obsessed with money than people from 50-years ago, it's more accurate to say that western and south Asian cultures as a whole share these values now; almost homogenized by product culture. To twist the tired rhetoric: the opportunity is there, and even if you can't have it, just imitate it.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
From my observation it's a cyclical thing across history...the coin has always been in motion.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think we just notice more over time... become disillusioned; same bullshit, different century...

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram

We don't want to fall into a general conclusion now. We can only speak of what we observe.
Consumerism is a living thing just like other people live by different philosophies. Further yet, some people might seem money oriented even though it is not the case.

Your question is scratching the surface of intentions. The discussion might get derailed since you're not specific enough and it will become a subject of meditations, life philosophies or a typical rant about capitalism.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yes

As in most cases, I blame the internet. The only real thing which releases dopamine are material objects. So people buy and buy and fill their homes with clutter to fill the void of basically everything else.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Yes

As in most cases, I blame the internet. The only real thing which releases dopamine are material objects. So people buy and buy and fill their homes with clutter to fill the void of basically everything else.

I think that the role internet has made into making the world a fast paced place to be is not necessary the major culprit but simply a component in the equation of Consumerism. The behavior of the population is to also to be blamed.

Regarding your dopamine section, I'm guessing you have used the words "real thing" to put an emphasis on your perception by putting Consumerism under the spotlight alone, figuratively, without denying the existence of other dopamine triggers.

You would've been fried if this was Virtual Ghost. He'll think you're stupid and I would have laughed.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I think that the role internet has made into making the world a fast paced place to be is not necessary the major culprit but simply a component in the equation of Consumerism. The behavior of the population is to also to be blamed.

Regarding your dopamine section, I'm guessing you have used the words "real thing" to put an emphasis on your perception by putting Consumerism under the spotlight alone, figuratively, without denying the existence of other dopamine triggers.

You would've been fried if this was Virtual Ghost. He'll think you're stupid and I would have laughed.

Fried!? Oh no! Anything but that! That sounds really painful!! Oh wait, this is just words on a screen so I doubt I'd feel much of anything. Probly just go get some coffee and forget all about it.
I really could not possibly care less of what Ghost thinks of me.

I am far from stupid. I am just very bad at expressing my thoughts as words. I suppose you could consider that a type of type of intelligence but it just isn't one of strengths. I've accepted this and don't really care if people decide to cling to that as a basis for attack when they have no other point to argue.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Fried!? Oh no! Anything but that! That sounds really painful!! Oh wait, this is just words on a screen so I probably wouldn't feel much of anything. Probly just go get some coffee and forget all about it.

I really could not care less of what Ghost thinks of me.

I am far from stupid. I am just very bad at expressing my thoughts as words/ I suppose you could consider that a type of type of intelligence but it isn't one of strengths. I've accepted this and don't really care if people decide to cling to that as a basis for attack when they have no other point to argue.
We all have our short-comings.

I disagree.

If I take part of a conversation, I should make myself clear as possible. If there's confusion, I'll gladly shed the light on what is not understood, provided it is something I can expand on. If I can't find the words, I will simply point that out "I can't express that clearly", and others who can might contribute and find the right words to eloquently express that idea.

A discussion where one is going to speak vaguely and not care if anyone understands is unproductive noise.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I disagree.

If I take part of a conversation, I should make myself clear as possible. If there's confusion, I'll gladly shed the light on what is not understood, provided it is something I can expand on. If I can't find the words, I will simply point that out "I can't express that clearly", and others who can might contribute and find the right words to eloquently express that idea.

A discussion where one is going to speak vaguely and not care if anyone understands is unproductive noise.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread.

If someone genuinely wants an explanation to understand is one thing and I'll do my best to clarify.

Nitpicking and looking for argument for argument's sake is just "unproductive noise" to me. That is what most people want. Clarifying and trying to reach an understanding with someone like that is a waste of my time and effort. ( I am speaking ...generally not about you specifically)

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes, we are taught consumerism at a young age and shown that having giant houses, boats, cars, traveling the world is the only concieveable way to be happy. We are programmed to hate staying at home, and starting families and taking care of those we love. You can have every object you've ever wanted, but it doesn't fill the hole of loneliness, connection, purpose, and love we all need to feel alive.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Absolutely. Why do you think there are so many self-storage franchises? Why are homes as enormous as they are? Gotta fill them with something. Why would someone like Marie Kondo have books and a show and all she does is show people how to throw away shit, not only that they don't need but that doesn't bring them joy.

I don't blame the internet at all, that was once looked at as a solution to community, family and loneliness. It can still be a positive instrument for people but for too many, it isolates. Add some mental illness, lack of health care or anyone to look after them, you have an entire season of Hoarders for the voyeurs.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely. Why do you think there are so many self-storage franchises? Why are homes as enormous as they are? Gotta fill them with something. Why would someone like Marie Kondo have books and a show and all she does is show people how to throw away shit, not only that they don't need but that doesn't bring them joy.

This. Not only are we more materialistic, the things we choose to spend our money on hold less value than they used to - we've become very disposable culture. The role TV and internet play is that, coupled with celebrity culture, they're always pushing the newness and novelty of an item, dubbing it as the replacement that will cause us to wonder how we ever lived without said item.

Greed

#1 thot
no. humans have been relatively the same throughout the history of humanity. sorry to burst your bubble.