User Tag List

First 2345 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

If good didn't predominant over 'evil', civilization would not exist.

Astronomer of the Abyss Tenebris's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    If good didn't predominant over 'evil', civilization would not exist.
    Are you implying evil civilizations could not exist?
    一期一会

Only from the deepest darkness, can you see the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris View Post
    I think they are referring to the societal aspect. No matter how good some people are, or how many. There is always a bigger group of evil. So perpetually, good will never win...but it also can't be destroyed.
    I don't understand, are you suggesting that the "but-for" cause is group-think? If so, do these group-thinkers have brains? If so, I'm suggesting that their brains are broken and folks with broken brains are typically the reason for their own demise. In other words, I think they're more of a threat to themselves. I'm not afraid of evil.

Astronomer of the Abyss Tenebris's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryBoots View Post
    I don't understand, are you suggesting that the "but-for" cause is group-think? If so, do these group-thinkers have brains? If so, I'm suggesting that their brains are broken and folks with broken brains are typically the reason for their own demise. In other words, I think they're more of a threat to themselves. I'm not afraid of evil.
    I was just presenting the OP as how I understood it. Which is how it seems society operates (from their perspective, and they are not alone). Group think is a major factor, in everything. Ever heard of the bystander effect? People are social animals, before they are individuals usually. Meaning even the most independent, socially avoidant person will be affected by peer pressure. (unless of course, they are psychopathic)

I personally don't believe in evil as an actual force, and that everyone has potential "evil" (by definition) in them. It's ridiculous to fear one side, and see it in black and white. It is also bad to demonize the other side. NO ONE thinks they are evil. Everyone thinks they are good. When people learn to accept that, they will realize what being human really is. People need to realize even the worse people, could be them under the right circumstances.

If you try to define "Evil", what do you get? From what I can tell, it is people who act without remorse, generally for their own benefit. But so do good people. They easily condemn, hurt, or kill people they think are "Bad". So the only real defining factor in my eyes, is perspective. I think the worse type of people, are those who commit acts of violence mindlessly. They do not know the weight of their actions, as they cannot cognitively understand them. When one doesn't even understand their own actions, how can they repent?
    一期一会

Only from the deepest darkness, can you see the stars.
    Likes StrawberryBoots liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I lose all the time and I am not good, so answer me this, riddler.....
    Perpetual mood

“Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”

- look it up yourself

Likes Lark liked this post

Every action produces a butterfly effect with both foreseeable and unforeseeable consequences. It's impossible for good to always lose when the outcome is less decisive in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    what do you think about the idea that good always loses?
    Triple M (mental masturbation mayhem)
    Click here for my 2500+ Enneagram Type List to type yourself and others with. It's the only valid breakdown for every enneagram type, wing and stack.

Click here for the only valid visual typing model of stackings on earth and socionics.
    Click here for enneagram type descriptions as a supplement to the only valid breakdown for every type, wing and stack.
    Click here for my typings of 100+ fictional exemplars and here for my typings of 90+ typology central members.

Thread's been really interesting, this theme was mentioned in a TV show I was watching.

The other thread about evil containing the seeds of its own destruction was a theme in a TV show too. A different one to the first one.

MBTI
    TNT

Good doesn't always lose, neither does evil like in the movies. Most people float between vice and virtue, but virtue pays off. Being trustworthy has its perks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris View Post
    Are you implying evil civilizations could not exist?
    I think that's a good point, if it means order, organisation and rule bound then its totally possible that an evil civilisation would exist.

Ghandi when he was asked what he thought of western civilisation said that he thought it would be a good idea.