User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris View Post
    I am saying everyone is human, and their methods are different. "Dirty" implies morality, which is a construct. Moral action in one culture, is evil in another. Therefor good and evil do not exist, because everyone can be good and evil depending on context. A lot of people who claim to be good, are generally idealistic in nature. While those who are commonly considered bad, are often nihilistic or disenfranchised with society and go by their own rules.

And I am saying that if you want a group to live making distinction between bad and good isn't that hard regardless of culture, while morals are fundamentally just an extension of survival instinct. It is true that you can introduce relativity here as well but once you do that you have nothing. Since you can't be human without a life.

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I've never thought that.
    Perpetual mood

“Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”

- look it up yourself

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    And I am saying that if you want a group to live making distinction between bad and good isn't that hard regardless of culture, while morals are fundamentally just an extension of survival instinct. It is true that you can introduce relativity here as well but once you do that you have nothing. Since you can't be human without a life.
    A lot of "large society" groups are only able to hold morality, due to the threat of authority. So it actually is very difficult to hold onto morality the larger the society gets. That's why cities and such generally have higher crime rates. As well as certain cities being worse than others. Cities that understand this fundamental principle, generally prosper and are a lot safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's a nice theory.

Does it hold in your community, neighbourhood, workplace or family? If not why not?
    Yes, it does. Most people follow rules because its like a mutual agreement. But the moment the authority breaks down, true human nature is revealed. While some have the intellectual integrity to withhold morality, many also lose it (that is why looting happens after disasters). Without the promise of security enforcement, society breaks down.
    Omnivariant

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    285 so/sp

I think it's an edgelord coping mechanism. Y'know, for those "asshole is my personality" losers who think they are gamimg the system by being shitty.

And I guess it's inflation, but damn it's hard to value my two cents
    As a kid I was idolizing millionaires and all the presidents

- Left at London
    Likes Lark liked this post

A lot of "large society" groups are only able to hold morality, due to the threat of authority. So it actually is very difficult to hold onto morality the larger the society gets. That's why cities and such generally have higher crime rates. As well as certain cities being worse than others. Cities that understand this fundamental principle, generally prosper and are a lot safer.

Yes, it does. Most people follow rules because its like a mutual agreement. But the moment the authority breaks down, true human nature is revealed. While some have the intellectual integrity to withhold morality, many also lose it (that is why looting happens after disasters). Without the promise of security enforcement, society breaks down.
    A Hobbesian social contract because otherwise life is nasty, brutish and short. I'm not so sure about that, for one, which is it? Mutual Agreement or authority?

What you are describing as human nature is the exception rather than the rule, under conditions of crisis, which are short lived, time limited and temporary.

Its a politically conservative view that's pretty grim, predates either sociology or psychology and is ahistorical too. For whatever reason its a popular view at the moment though.

I'd say that people who dont have a conscience during a crisis probably are no different to they are at times which are not times of crisis. They're just opportunistic criminals. They're not more in tune with human nature than the next man, in fact, I'd say they are less in tune with it.

I really disagree: I, my friends and my mother walk around my city unarmed at night freely even if there is no authority around, jet no one is going after me (and I live in metropolitan area). Which is because we were all raised to be more supportive of each other. You are mistaking your local social dysfunction for genuine human nature, mistake that is very easy to make. In a way what you are saying is self fulfilling prophecy ... but ok.

My point was simple, regardless of the culture most bad things can be pointed out easily. Stealing isn't ok, lying isn't ok in everyday situations (same with violence), fraud isn't ok, blackmail isn't ok, torture isn't ok, ... etc. There is no modern culture that genuinely supports all of this and all of this can only pass as a problem/disease/glitch and therefore I claim that it is possible to set objective standards in morals. Stuff to which everyone sane can agree.
    Likes Lark, Chaotic Symphony liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

The inherit difficulty in 'good' versus the inherit ease of 'evil' is as much a strength as it is a weakness.

Human beings like things that are easy...but they like challenges even more.

Well, heck, I'm thinking about how "always" is a mighty powerful word. What's not powerful in humans is a malfunctioning or chemically altered higher brain cortex that's unable to reign back primitive, selfish, animalistic impulses from the brain stem and emotional center of the brain, making one ineffective at rational, constructive decision-making. I think people with a fully mature, functioning, unimpaired frontal lobe will find that evil isn't too hard to defeat, diffuse or walk away from.
    Likes Radio Bob liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryBoots View Post
    Well, heck, I'm thinking about how "always" is a mighty powerful word. What's not powerful in humans is a malfunctioning or chemically altered higher brain cortex that's unable to reign back primitive, selfish, animalistic impulses from the brain stem and emotional center of the brain, making one ineffective at rational, constructive decision-making. I think people with a fully mature, functioning, unimpaired frontal lobe will find that evil isn't too hard to defeat, diffuse or walk away from.
    I think they are referring to the societal aspect. No matter how good some people are, or how many. There is always a bigger group of evil. So perpetually, good will never win...but it also can't be destroyed.

I like the buddhist teachings of balance, and that everyone is both good and evil. And from pure darkness or pure light, it's opposite is born. Impermanence of good or evil dominating life. Nothing lasts forever.
    Omnivariant

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

I think it's an incredibly oversimplified statement.

I think "good" is subjective.

I think that good often wins but that "evil" is much easier to notice in a small scale-which are the only real victories we can hope for.

I think people say this because everyone perceives their side as "good" and it is so much easier to tell yourself it isn't your fault when you lose so instead they make up some imaginary entity like luck to blame instead.
    “ they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”

"These voices scream at me "Let it go!"
    (never let go)
    This time I'm screaming back "No! No! No!"
    (Go on say no)
    My mind's made up, yeah my fear is gone
    Open my eyes now here I come: Oblivion."