User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Ok, but I just can't relate to such ideas.
    I really think there is a external reality. If anything logic says our heads have to be in "something".
    I dont believe it but I do think the idealists, like Bishop Berkley, or the whole "brains in a tank" idea are interesting.

The Matrix trilogy did a good version of the whole artificial environment/brains in a tank (although it was whole people in a tank) idea, Dark City was good version of the Artificial Environment trope too, although different to the Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Well, the last time I checked the physical reality as we know it is just a product of how our brain processes input data. So neither is sky really blue, fire is hot or ground is solid. In my country you learn this kind of stuff in 7th grade and further, so you can't pass without knowing this. "Reality" isn't real and that was proven long time ago.
    Well, I can understand how people get started down that route when you consider optics, the colour spectrum from a prism, the twig in a puddle distortion etc.

I get it, where Descartes and the rest were setting out from but to be honest its way more than a hop, skip and jump from there to social constructionism and post-modernism, which I think is all bunk really.

MBTI
    INFJ

Strange happenings are, in my view, very often a manifestation of forces which science has yet to really touch upon.

In the case given in the opening post, I would posit the cause as being what I term "spiritual" in nature, being perhaps mediated by entities/spirits, or some kind of energy field capable of interacting with both mind and matter.

And yes, talking about this stuff does make a person seem "crazy", but from where I stand it is those who deny the possibility of such things that are out of touch...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Quote Originally Posted by cacaia View Post
    If I am walking, a lamp post or light bulb will just turn off. Coincidence, you will say? I'm posting here because it has happened for YEARS, and not all the time, but often enough to give me pause.
    Sounds like a poltergeist to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Strange happenings are, in my view, very often a manifestation of forces which science has yet to really touch upon.

In the case given in the opening post, I would posit the cause as being what I term "spiritual" in nature, being perhaps mediated by entities/spirits, or some kind of energy field capable of interacting with both mind and matter.

And yes, talking about this stuff does make a person seem "crazy", but from where I stand it is those who deny the possibility of such things that are out of touch...
    After the scientific/rational revolution has all but made its rounds in pure materialism, I find it very telling that the same are having to account for the metaphysical nature of aspects of the universe with Quantum mechanics and even now, “simulation theory” and/or “multiverse hypothesis.”

“I believe in metaphysics, but have to couch it in the language of physics so as to save face.”
    χρήστος ανέστη

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    639 so/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Justin of Flavia Neapolis View Post
    After the scientific/rational revolution has all but made its rounds in pure materialism, I find it very telling that the same are having to account for the metaphysical nature of aspects of the universe with Quantum mechanics and even now, “simulation theory” and/or “multiverse hypothesis.”

“I believe in metaphysics, but have to couch it in the language of physics so as to save face.”
    When I first studied Quantum mechanics, my professor took a long time advising us "not to romanticize it or link it to metaphysics, as it's being done in pop culture and by other people, 'cause they're wrong interpretations".

I don't feel like discussing my own philosophical views because it would be a sterile discussion. I just wanted to leave this here.
    I don't think that it's so personal
    Anymore
    I don't think that it's irreversible
    Anymore
    Sometimes I feel like I'm a sentimental trooper.

6w5 - 3w4 - 9w8 so/sp
    RLUEI
    Chaotic neutral.
    LII-Ne.

Corrupted of Purpose... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    478 sp/sx

With all DUE respect,
    -The Cat.

Master of the refrigerator towers.
    Guardian of the house.
    Walker across keys.
    He that consumeth Birds of the field.
    Keeper of the Secret Lore
    Knocker of things casually off shelves.
    Walker of the Twilight
    Great Cat Dragon Scourge of the Field creatures.
    Wrangler of Squirrels
    Negotiator with Owls.

"Lovely Titles"

Quote Originally Posted by Methylene View Post
    When I first studied Quantum mechanics, my professor took a long time advising us "not to romanticize it or link it to metaphysics, as it's being done in pop culture and by other people, 'cause they're wrong interpretations".

I don't feel like discussing my own philosophical views because it would be a sterile discussion. I just wanted to leave this here.
    Thank you for the anecdote.
    χρήστος ανέστη

The human mind seems wired to find meaning in everything and to make connections. It’s simultaneously a great asset and a great deficit.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    The human mind seems wired to find meaning in everything and to make connections. It’s simultaneously a great asset and a great deficit.
    Yeah it takes a long while of sifting through the information to determine if these coincidences and such have any inherent meaning at all,

Then eventually you start to get it and it's like "wow science is really dumb when it comes to some things."
    the lone star flies alone
    Likes Officer Ed Powell liked this post