User Tag List

First 234

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Ok, but I just can't relate to such ideas.
    I really think there is a external reality. If anything logic says our heads have to be in "something".
    I dont believe it but I do think the idealists, like Bishop Berkley, or the whole "brains in a tank" idea are interesting.

The Matrix trilogy did a good version of the whole artificial environment/brains in a tank (although it was whole people in a tank) idea, Dark City was good version of the Artificial Environment trope too, although different to the Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Well, the last time I checked the physical reality as we know it is just a product of how our brain processes input data. So neither is sky really blue, fire is hot or ground is solid. In my country you learn this kind of stuff in 7th grade and further, so you can't pass without knowing this. "Reality" isn't real and that was proven long time ago.
    Well, I can understand how people get started down that route when you consider optics, the colour spectrum from a prism, the twig in a puddle distortion etc.

I get it, where Descartes and the rest were setting out from but to be honest its way more than a hop, skip and jump from there to social constructionism and post-modernism, which I think is all bunk really.

MBTI
    INFJ

Strange happenings are, in my view, very often a manifestation of forces which science has yet to really touch upon.

In the case given in the opening post, I would posit the cause as being what I term "spiritual" in nature, being perhaps mediated by entities/spirits, or some kind of energy field capable of interacting with both mind and matter.

And yes, talking about this stuff does make a person seem "crazy", but from where I stand it is those who deny the possibility of such things that are out of touch...
    Likes Tenebris liked this post