• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the worst emotion?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think is the worst emotion?

I think of all the emotions, there is only 1 that I think can be considered the most unbearable. For it amplifies all other emotions, and decays your sense of self from the very core. Too much, and you go insane because it violates the very nature of a social animal. It is what happens when one isn't accepted, or appreciated by a world that doesn't care. It breeds depression, anger and hopelessness. You can even feel it, when you are surrounded by people who say they love you, but they do not see you for who you are. It's like you died, and wander the world as a ghost out of habit. This emotion is loneliness, and its the worse in my opinion.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Helplessness. When I feel trapped, unable to be helped, or I feel so stiffed and oppressed and not given the space or freedom to just be. To not be able to be with the person I love most, like there's something or someone in the way that I can't get around, so in a way it also makes me feel even more trapped in my feelings of fear. That's the worst feeling for me, I think.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Trick question, they all suck..

Guilt is the worse though.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
All the bad ones. I would say though depression and self hate is the worse.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Emotions come in packages … it really isn't this simple.

What do you mean by packages? It isn't simple, but its difficult to explain what I wanted expressed in this thread.

I was hoping more people would explain why a certain emotion was the worse. This is a comparison of worst emotions, not all emotion. What makes anger better that grief? What combination is unbearable? Loss and hate? Etc.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of the worst ones: Hopelessness, terror, immobilizing anxiety, despair. Why those? Because they're so all consuming in a painful way.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What do you mean by packages? It isn't simple, but its difficult to explain what I wanted expressed in this thread.

I was hoping more people would explain why a certain emotion was the worse. This is a comparison of worst emotions, not all emotion. What makes anger better that grief? What combination is unbearable? Loss and hate? Etc.

I said that because fear or anxiety can easily turn into anger. The line between love and hate can be a thin one. Often the person doesn't feel just one thing at the tame. Jealousy can evolve into all kind of things. Sloth can evolve into problems and eventually all kind of things.

However if I have to vote anger/hate is the worst since that is when the actual damage will be done.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I said that because fear or anxiety can easily turn into anger. The line between love and hate can be a thin one. Often the person doesn't feel just one thing at the tame. Jealousy can evolve into all kind of things. Sloth can evolve into problems and eventually all kind of things.

However if I have to vote anger/hate is the worst since that is when the actual damage will be done.

Yes, I want your perspective on the worse, and to weigh differences and sevarety. Because I will understand your perspective more. If you think the most physically damaging is the worse, its interesting! I think persisting slow burning emotions are worse than reactionary.

Emotions are like a tree, there is a core somewhere in the darkest deepest root that grows, that branches out into a larger array of mixed emotions. Some might only be aware of the branches, and not the root of their negative emotions.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
when people enjoy the suffering of others - Schadenfreude

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yes, I want your perspective on the worse, and to weigh differences and sevarety. Because I will understand your perspective more. If you think the most physically damaging is the worse, its interesting! I think persisting slow burning emotions are worse than reactionary.

Emotions are like a tree, there is a core somewhere in the darkest deepest root that grows, that branches out into a larger array of mixed emotions. Some might only be aware of the branches, and not the root of their negative emotions.

This is exactly why I say that they come in packages.

However I am warzone child and I claim that leveling of entire countries due to poor anger management can't really be compared to practical implications of other emotions. However this is radical situation through which you must go to truly understand. A while ago NF here claimed that it is horrible when people say to each other horrible things, to which I replayed "You think that is horrible ? Try being in the hospital that is being shelled few times a day … and the show goes for month until hospital isn't occupied and remaining doctors and patients are taken to the parking lot and shot simply because of their ethnic background. That is horrible!"

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is exactly why I say that they come in packages.

However I am warzone child and I claim that leveling of entire countries due to poor anger management can't really be compared to practical implications of other emotions. However this is radical situation through which you must go to truly understand. A while ago NF here claimed that it is horrible when people say to each other horrible things, to which I replayed "You think that is horrible ? Try being in the hospital that is being shelled few times a day … and the show goes for month until hospital isn't occupied and remaining doctors and patients are taken to the parking lot and shot simply because of their ethnic background. That is horrible!"

Yes, but now you are comparing rather than sharing. This is no competition, as all have their own unique views on the emotions they experience. But feel free to express your unique view, but in a way that doesn't make others feel inferior.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yes, but now you are comparing rather than sharing. This is no competition, as all have their own unique views on the emotions they experience. But feel free to express your unique view, but in a way that doesn't make others feel inferior.

If I am not mistaken you wanted to get this out of me ? (since this is the reasoning)
But ok, we can leave it at "I rate emotions by their concrete impact".

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think of all the emotions, there is only 1 that I think can be considered the most unbearable. For it amplifies all other emotions, and decays your sense of self from the very core. Too much, and you go insane because it violates the very nature of a social animal. It is what happens when one isn't accepted, or appreciated by a world that doesn't care. It breeds depression, anger and hopelessness. You can even feel it, when you are surrounded by people who say they love you, but they do not see you for who you are. It's like you died, and wander the world as a ghost out of habit. This emotion is loneliness, and its the worse in my opinion.
I don't think there is a single worst emotion. That will be different for each person. What you describe above here - that loneliness from not being accepted or seen for who you are - doesn't bother me much because my sense of self is not dependent on the views and responses of others. There is a feeling I have been experiencing recently that I find worse than anything else, but I cannot put it into words. It involves a sense of hopelessness tied to my own inadequacy, almost in the sense of self-betrayal. I suppose it comes down to: if I cannot rely on myself, all hope is lost. That is the closest I can come for now. Perhaps I have just been lucky.

If I am not mistaken you wanted to get this out of me ? (since this is the reasoning)
But ok, we can leave it at "I rate emotions by their concrete impact".
Do you not separate emotions for the actions they motivate? Many people might feel anger, but only some translate that into violence against others. Violence has sometimes even been motivated by love. Conversely, anger has motivated more constructive behavior, like addressing injustice. To me, the problem here is with the actions, not the feelings.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am a very expressive kind of guy, and I think the worst emotion is simply no emotion at all.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What you describe above here - that loneliness from not being accepted or seen for who you are - doesn't bother me much because my sense of self is not dependent on the views and responses of others.

Loneliness, for me, in how Tenebris described it, has very little to do with sense of self. I've been sure of who I am, what I stand for, what I want in the past, but that did not make me any less lonely. Only finding the right kind of people could do that.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Do you not separate emotions for the actions they motivate? Many people might feel anger, but only some translate that into violence against others. Violence has sometimes even been motivated by love. Conversely, anger has motivated more constructive behavior, like addressing injustice. To me, the problem here is with the actions, not the feelings.

Of course, this is exactly why I started with "this isn't simple as this thread wants it to be".
However my choice was eventually for "anger/hate", since I am not sure 100% how to name this in English (the hate based anger). Since if this gets truly out of hand and manifested the other emotions can't match the practical horror. It is true that anger/hate is more of methodology than a starting point but when it goes out of hand there will be irreversible and bad consequences for sure. It is the emotion that directly claimed more lives than any other for sure.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Loneliness, for me, in how Tenebris described it, has very little to do with sense of self. I've been sure of who I am, what I stand for, what I want in the past, but that did not make me any less lonely. Only finding the right kind of people could do that.
Well, yes, I have felt lonely surrounded by the wrong kind of people, but I can even more easily feel no loneliness when completely alone. People of any kind are not necessary to dispel or avoid that feeling. If anything, they usually prompt other feelings that are worse.