User Tag List

12 Last

Default High Culture and Popular Culure

Two surveys of registered scientists in Britain and the USA show that 8% believe in God and 92% don't believe in God.

In popular culture these figures are almost reversed. This is the first difference between popular culture and high culture.

Science is the jewel in the crown of high culture, along with music, ballet, theatre, literature, sculpture, architecture, art, while popular culture appeals to what is worst in us.
    Likes tony_goth liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I really don't want to see people attack atheism and agnosticism just because you feel the need to try to start disagreements here based on the idea that one group of people is far superior to others (be that high culture/ popular culture, intelligence/ normalcy, atheists/ theists, mbti/ anti-mbti).

You're aware that people on this website do not worship mbti, right? There's plenty of criticism and plenty of people who don't take it seriously. You seem to be the one who takes it most seriously, frankly.
    ✦ᏖᏒᎥᎮ ค ℓιɬɬℓɛ Ꮭıɠɧɬ ʄคŋɬคʂɬıƈ✦ -: ✦ :- ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ❋-: ✦ :-★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    * ・゚ ・゚ * ⊱9w1✶S✶2w1✶X✶5w6⊰ * ・゚ ・゚ *
    ✦Շђєяє คяє ๓σяє тнιηﻭѕ ιη нєανєη αη∂ єαятн Շђαη คяє ∂яєαмт σƒ ιη уσυя ρнιℓσѕσρну.✦
    Likes Yuu, Amberiat, Peter Deadpan liked this post

Not only does this thread not make any relevant point whatsoever, it also baits pointless conflict based on beliefs instead of promoting actual discussion that serves some purpose.

Well, unless conflict itself is the purpose.

Oh, Mole...

Johari | Nohari

Moving forward, put aside all unnecessary preconceptions, eliminate all biases, analyze all the facts without letting external influences cloud your better judgement and put together a coherent picture of the truth like a jigsaw puzzle, you have the pieces you need, the only thing left to do is to learn how to put them together properly.
    Likes Luminous, Peter Deadpan, SD45T-2, Lark liked this post

@Luminous and @Amberiat, I entirely dissent from your review of Mole's thread. I've rarely had to look too hard to see he's fluffy, fun and lovable. From what I've observed over the years, our dear, playfully creative Mole is very well aware of the true texture of a man's soul, including his own, which like all of us, isn't entirely likeable on our darkest days. Please give the man a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Two surveys of registered scientists in Britain and the USA show that 8% believe in God and 92% don't believe in God.

In popular culture these figures are almost reversed. This is the first difference between popular culture and high culture.

Science is the jewel in the crown of high culture, along with music, ballet, theatre, literature, sculpture, architecture, art, while
    Mole, I like the way you turn ideas into art forms, redefining the box. You're wonderfully unique and creative.

popular culture appeals to what is worst in us.
    I agree.
    Likes Mole, Tengri liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryBoots View Post
    @Luminous and @Amberiat, I entirely dissent from your review of Mole's thread. I've rarely had to look too hard to see he's fluffy, fun and lovable. From what I've observed over the years, our dear, playfully creative Mole is very well aware of the true texture of a man's soul, including his own, which like all of us, isn't entirely likeable on our darkest days. Please give the man a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    I really don't want to see people attack atheism and agnosticism just because you feel the need to try to start disagreements here based on the idea that one group of people is far superior to others (be that high culture/ popular culture, intelligence/ normalcy, atheists/ theists, mbti/ anti-mbti).

You're aware that people on this website do not worship mbti, right? There's plenty of criticism and plenty of people who don't take it seriously. You seem to be the one who takes it most seriously, frankly.
    Seriously? You don't think he's egging on conflict?

Well, StrawberryBoots, let's ask Mole what he thinks about religion, shall we? Pretty sure he'll tell you that you and other believers fall into that lowly 98%.

I would very much like it if Mole interacted here with us in a friendly way and if he were clearly happy, but it seems to me like he's set on feeling arrogant and superior. When I've tried to be more friendly, I've gotten condescending responses like this.
    ✦ᏖᏒᎥᎮ ค ℓιɬɬℓɛ Ꮭıɠɧɬ ʄคŋɬคʂɬıƈ✦ -: ✦ :- ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ❋-: ✦ :-★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    ✦Շђєяє คяє ๓σяє тнιηﻭѕ ιη нєανєη αη∂ єαятн Շђαη คяє ∂яєαмт σƒ ιη уσυя ρнιℓσѕσρну.✦

Dear @Luminous,

For Heaven's sake, please stop. This is obviously a personal matter. Please consider trying a more tactful, private approach via PM directly to Mole.

Peace to you.
    Likes Mole liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

It's not at all a personal matter. lol

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    487 sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I read a definition : "high culture" means "exemplary culture"

Science is the jewel in the crown of high culture, along with music, ballet, theatre, literature, sculpture, architecture, art
    Yes, this culture, al well as classical music is technically exemplary, or high.

while popular culture appeals to what is worst in us.
    Yes, but I think popular culture can become "high" if made psychologically and morally exemplary.

In popular culture these figures are almost reversed.
    This seems to be a result. Technically high does not mean psychologically or morally high.

So, you're right. Identifying in some way with popular culture, or "appearently sinful" culture, is basically humility.

And, I think popular culture can be made high.
    I often say "psychological impact" because it's a central concept to me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by tony_goth View Post
    This seems to be a result. Technically high does not mean psychologically or morally high.
    Lol you made a lot of assumptions there about atheism, didn't you? You think it's not psychologically healthy? Not moral? Prove it.

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Mysterious Stranger's Avatar
    MBTI
    EXXX
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so
    Socionics
    Mad

I am but a dream--
    Your dream,
    A creature of your imagination...

We're all Faery Tales; after a fashion,
    Our stories unfolding around us...
    and through us...

In a moment you will have realized this,
    then you will banish me from your visions
    and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me...