• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

High Culture and Popular Culure

Mole

Permabanned
Two surveys of registered scientists in Britain and the USA show that 8% believe in God and 92% don't believe in God.

In popular culture these figures are almost reversed. This is the first difference between popular culture and high culture.

Science is the jewel in the crown of high culture, along with music, ballet, theatre, literature, sculpture, architecture, art, while popular culture appeals to what is worst in us.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really don't want to see people attack atheism and agnosticism just because you feel the need to try to start disagreements here based on the idea that one group of people is far superior to others (be that high culture/ popular culture, intelligence/ normalcy, atheists/ theists, mbti/ anti-mbti).

You're aware that people on this website do not worship mbti, right? There's plenty of criticism and plenty of people who don't take it seriously. You seem to be the one who takes it most seriously, frankly.

Amberiat

Infinity
Not only does this thread not make any relevant point whatsoever, it also baits pointless conflict based on beliefs instead of promoting actual discussion that serves some purpose.

Well, unless conflict itself is the purpose.

Oh, Mole...

ob1qsn88g4s21.jpg

StrawberryBoots

[MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] and [MENTION=36787]Amberiat[/MENTION], I entirely dissent from your review of Mole's thread. I've rarely had to look too hard to see he's fluffy, fun and lovable. From what I've observed over the years, our dear, playfully creative Mole is very well aware of the true texture of a man's soul, including his own, which like all of us, isn't entirely likeable on our darkest days. Please give the man a break.

Two surveys of registered scientists in Britain and the USA show that 8% believe in God and 92% don't believe in God.

In popular culture these figures are almost reversed. This is the first difference between popular culture and high culture.

Science is the jewel in the crown of high culture, along with music, ballet, theatre, literature, sculpture, architecture, art, while

Mole, I like the way you turn ideas into art forms, redefining the box. You're wonderfully unique and creative. :hug:

popular culture appeals to what is worst in us.
I agree.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] and [MENTION=36787]Amberiat[/MENTION], I entirely dissent from your review of Mole's thread. I've rarely had to look too hard to see he's fluffy, fun and lovable. From what I've observed over the years, our dear, playfully creative Mole is very well aware of the true texture of a man's soul, including his own, which like all of us, isn't entirely likeable on our darkest days. Please give the man a break.

I really don't want to see people attack atheism and agnosticism just because you feel the need to try to start disagreements here based on the idea that one group of people is far superior to others (be that high culture/ popular culture, intelligence/ normalcy, atheists/ theists, mbti/ anti-mbti).

You're aware that people on this website do not worship mbti, right? There's plenty of criticism and plenty of people who don't take it seriously. You seem to be the one who takes it most seriously, frankly.

Seriously? You don't think he's egging on conflict?

Well, StrawberryBoots, let's ask Mole what he thinks about religion, shall we? Pretty sure he'll tell you that you and other believers fall into that lowly 98%.

I would very much like it if Mole interacted here with us in a friendly way and if he were clearly happy, but it seems to me like he's set on feeling arrogant and superior. When I've tried to be more friendly, I've gotten condescending responses like this.

StrawberryBoots

Dear [MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION],

For Heaven's sake, please stop. This is obviously a personal matter. Please consider trying a more tactful, private approach via PM directly to Mole.

Peace to you.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not at all a personal matter. lol

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I read a definition : "high culture" means "exemplary culture"

Science is the jewel in the crown of high culture, along with music, ballet, theatre, literature, sculpture, architecture, art

Yes, this culture, al well as classical music is technically exemplary, or high.

while popular culture appeals to what is worst in us.

Yes, but I think popular culture can become "high" if made psychologically and morally exemplary.

In popular culture these figures are almost reversed.

This seems to be a result. Technically high does not mean psychologically or morally high.

So, you're right. Identifying in some way with popular culture, or "appearently sinful" culture, is basically humility.

And, I think popular culture can be made high.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This seems to be a result. Technically high does not mean psychologically or morally high.

Lol you made a lot of assumptions there about atheism, didn't you? You think it's not psychologically healthy? Not moral? Prove it.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lol you made a lot of assumptions there about atheism, didn't you? You think it's not psychologically healthy? Not moral? Prove it.

I didn't say that because "atheism" is just "I do not beleive in God".

You can still follow your conscience while being an atheist. Many atheists have reasons not to trust the word "God", while still trusting the word "conscience" and maybe their conscience itself.

Tengri

Science is the jewel in the crown of high culture, along with music, ballet, theatre, literature, sculpture, architecture, art, while popular culture appeals to what is worst in us.
I think that this is an accurate paradox, though I wouldn't necessarily lump everything in low culture as "what is worst in us." A lot of musicians, artists, and authors dance on this fine line (David Bowie, Thomas Pynchon, Salvador Dali) because it's the firmest ground metaphorically to dig your heals in and critique the ridiculous and profound of every aspect of culture - or the people that are enmeshed in it. I don't have time to elaborate this further now, but I'll revisit it with more examples later.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't say that because "atheism" is just "I do not beleive in God".

You can still follow your conscience while being an atheist. Many atheists have reasons not to trust the word "God", while still trusting the word "conscience" and maybe their conscience itself.

I completely agree.

So I guess I totally misunderstood what you previously posted. Sorry. :)

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I completely agree.

So I guess I totally misunderstood what you previously posted. Sorry. :)

Thank you, but you don't have to be sorry.

I think your use of the word "moral" means you know what a conscience is, and what to do.

Jaguar

You know, I'm with you so often and then you inevitably blow it by ending with a non sequitur which I cannot abide. Let's look at something I think is a piece of shit and is part of pop culture - Facebook. Twitter. Can it bring out the worst in people? Absolutely. But they can also bring out the best. I don't see it often, but it happens. Knowing that, it makes it impossible for someone like me to make a sweeping claim unless I type "Social media frequently brings out the worst in people." It's not black and white, it leaves the door open to other possibilities since they do in fact exist.

As for God? The best position for me is agnostic since calling myself an athiest would be as illogical as calling myself a believer.