First 12

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    487 sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    Lol you made a lot of assumptions there about atheism, didn't you? You think it's not psychologically healthy? Not moral? Prove it.
    I didn't say that because "atheism" is just "I do not beleive in God".

You can still follow your conscience while being an atheist. Many atheists have reasons not to trust the word "God", while still trusting the word "conscience" and maybe their conscience itself.
    I often say "psychological impact" because it's a central concept to me.
    Likes Luminous liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Two surveys of registered scientists in Britain and the USA show that 8% believe in God and 92% don't believe in God.

In popular culture these figures are almost reversed. This is the first difference between popular culture and high culture.

Science is the jewel in the crown of high culture, along with music, ballet, theatre, literature, sculpture, architecture, art, while popular culture appeals to what is worst in us.
    I think that this is an accurate paradox, though I wouldn't necessarily lump everything in low culture as "what is worst in us." A lot of musicians, artists, and authors dance on this fine line (David Bowie, Thomas Pynchon, Salvador Dali) because it's the firmest ground metaphorically to dig your heals in and critique the ridiculous and profound of every aspect of culture - or the people that are enmeshed in it. I don't have time to elaborate this further now, but I'll revisit it with more examples later.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by tony_goth View Post
    I didn't say that because "atheism" is just "I do not beleive in God".

You can still follow your conscience while being an atheist. Many atheists have reasons not to trust the word "God", while still trusting the word "conscience" and maybe their conscience itself.
    I completely agree.

So I guess I totally misunderstood what you previously posted. Sorry.
    ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ★
    -: ✦ :-

h n g ⊱ 9✶S✶5✶X✶2 ⊰ g h t
    -: ✦ :-
    ★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    487 sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    I completely agree.

So I guess I totally misunderstood what you previously posted. Sorry.
    Thank you, but you don't have to be sorry.

I think your use of the word "moral" means you know what a conscience is, and what to do.
    I often say "psychological impact" because it's a central concept to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Two surveys of registered scientists in Britain and the USA show that 8% believe in God and 92% don't believe in God.

In popular culture these figures are almost reversed. This is the first difference between popular culture and high culture.

Science is the jewel in the crown of high culture, along with music, ballet, theatre, literature, sculpture, architecture, art, while popular culture appeals to what is worst in us.

You know, I'm with you so often and then you inevitably blow it by ending with a non sequitur which I cannot abide. Let's look at something I think is a piece of shit and is part of pop culture - Facebook. Twitter. Can it bring out the worst in people? Absolutely. But they can also bring out the best. I don't see it often, but it happens. Knowing that, it makes it impossible for someone like me to make a sweeping claim unless I type "Social media frequently brings out the worst in people." It's not black and white, it leaves the door open to other possibilities since they do in fact exist.

As for God? The best position for me is agnostic since calling myself an athiest would be as illogical as calling myself a believer.
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
    Likes Luminous liked this post