• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does everyone have their price?

Lark

I remember when I was seventeen someone starting a discussion in a business studies class about their belief that everyone had a price, it was only a matter of discovering what it was. What do you think?

The examples that people thought of to illustrate the point were typically teenager stuff, like would you perform sexual deeds that disgusted you for an obscene amount of money, the camps were very clearly "No, never" and "Yes, one terrible experience balances well against the likely better days thereafter". What is your opinion about that?

A lecturer came in at some point and asked what we were talking about, they where definitely in the "No, never" camp, however, no disgusting example was used to illustrate the point when it was discussed with them, just a more general "everyone has a price, whatever that happens to be". The guy who had started the discussion, who was firmly in the camp that everyone had a price, said it could be "guaranteeing the safety of a loved one", as opposed to a monetary value. At which point opinion divided again, not necessarily as it had before, some thinking that intangible things rather than money ought not to enter into the discussion. What do you think?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This totally depends on what needs to be done. (as well as the persons wealth as it is and the culture of the person)

I am pretty sure more people would eat an ice cream if you give them 500$ for this than they would kill a person if you would give them 500 000 $ for that.

Mole

Permabanned
Everything has its price, so to deceive us, they offer us something for free. How eagerly we fall for it.

We fall for it in investment, where it is too good to be true, we believe it in love, where the higher our income the more dates, or the sexier our body the more dates, we believe it in religion where mere belief will save us for eternal life. We believe the economy will keep growing forever while we have recession after recession. We believe drugs will give us a free ride to sexual nirvana. We believe mbti will tell us who we are.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes everything has its price, for none of us is beyond temptation.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone has a price in the sense that we're all motivated by something, which may or may not necessarily be money, yet I believe everyone has something that if it were presented on a silver platter, wouldn't be able to be turned down.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everyone has a price in the sense that we're all motivated by something, which may or may not necessarily be money, yet I believe everyone has something that if it were presented on a silver platter, wouldn't be able to be turned down.

Yes. Pizza. ;)

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am very very expensive.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Price can be just another word for consequence. Someone highly internal value centric might not kill a stranger to save the life of their mother, but they will pay the price for their moral code by losing said mother for it. So yes, per Newton’s third law there is always a price to be paid, even if all you’re buying is your own virtue.

Amberiat

Infinity
This totally depends on what needs to be done. (as well as the persons wealth as it is and the culture of the person)

I am pretty sure more people would eat an ice cream if you give them 500$ for this than they would kill a person if you would give them 500 000 $ for that.

Who do I need to kill?

For an additional 100.000$ I will also use the method my employer requests.

If we’re talking about not succumbing to persuasion through offers of money or power, yes, I believe there are people that don’t have a price. It’s a matter of what you truly value. To some their sense of integrity demands they are incorruptible.

That’s when the corrupter’s will resort to threatening or using violence against the individual or those people they care about. Giving in at that point isn’t the same as being bought though, is it?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think we all have our price to do something we wouldn't do and it isn't always money as Stig said. Sometimes it could be to see their dreams fulfilled or to be strong or to get a certain book e.t.c.