• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Human nature, does it exist?

Lark

Do you think that a human nature exists? If you do is it intrinsically good or wicked? Is it possible to be denatured?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think that a human nature exists? If you do is it intrinsically good or wicked? Is it possible to be denatured?

Eh, I think it's limiting to say there is a specific human nature. There are obviously general notions that hold true for everyone, but then again there tend to be exceptions to many rules or facts in history.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
:D

yellow-octopus-party-quotes-18.jpg

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Yes. But to answer the question that the OP raise by ourselves may not be possible, since we by ourselves may not even know our nature in the first place.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If by "human nature" you mean any characteristics thrust onto a person without their choosing, the answer is no. I believe that each person has actively selected his or her life conditions, including aspects of their existence with which they're born. Yes, the first thing each of us does is make a choice: to be this rather than that. And the rest of a person's existence is the living out of that choice. For that reason, I'm an optimist. I know I would not have chosen a life not worth living, and I know the same goes for others.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I belief in human nature. It is the reason crime will always exist, have wars, and form tribes of either ideology or identity. It isn't about so much the choices we make, but there is a general trend in favoring one choice over others in the general populace. Psychology touches on many group phenomena that can be attributed to nature. Just as certain behaviors favor certain genders biologically.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Of course it exists. And so profitably too. But it's neither good nor evil but a beautifully hungry, thirsty, wanting little thing. It needs. It desires. It both consumes and nourishes. Its complexity is often overlooked, and those who appreciate its subtle complexity are often made out to be abominations by those in the grips of lesser vision. Because its also very susceptible to external control.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I believe human nature exists. I just don't think it's completely good or completely evil anymore. These days, I think human nature has its own spectrum between what we call absolute Good and absolute Evil (even what we define as "good" or "evil" has been constantly changing for millenia).

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yes. It's the same as every other hysteric and greedy ape that wanders the Earth, consuming and destroying everything in it's path.

I do think some, few, are capable of better but it's easily drown out by the rest of the violent screaming animals.

The Cat

Staff member
Yes. It's the same as every other hysteric and greedy ape that wanders the Earth, consuming and destroying everything in it's path.

I do think some, few, are capable of better but it's easily drown out by the rest of the violent screaming animals.

You remind me of the British Empire in her heyday.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
You remind me of the British Empire in her heyday.

As one who majored in cultural anthropology, and therefore frequently lectures others on how no culture is bad 'just different' allow me to say. "ew."

The Cat

Staff member
As one who majored in cultural anthropology, and therefore frequently lectures others on how no culture is bad 'just different' allow me to say. "ew."

:D Could be worse. I could have said you remind me of America today? :happy2:

The Cat

Staff member
Until I hear an American use baby speak like " Tickety boo" I just barely disagree.

I... That is actually a very good point. I retract the statement. I'll find a more complimentary insult. :wubbie::hug: Until Next time. This was fun.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, but only as much as we have instincts/to the extent we are ruled by instincts. That much is a 'nature' that is inherent.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes,it exists, and no, it can't be 'denatured'.

Would you think that impulses and reactions cannot be tempered and overriden, even if it might take time?
Though, I suppose it depends on what one defines as 'human nature' to begin with.