• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you have a spirit animal/totem?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not talking about any religion or philosophy per say, just something that many people pick up naturally as they go through life. We sometimes find an animal that we resonate with, and admire character traits associated with it that we wish we had in ourselves...or already do.

For example, the wolf is an extremely popular totem people relate to. When I was observing the Therianthropy community many years back. The wolf dominated the the community as the animal most people saw themselves as. Followed by the Fox, Tiger, and Birds of prey.

I've often wondered why people do this peculiar thing. I think humans seek to reattach to nature as we are often trapped in our artificial surroundings, out of touch with our natural selves, and in unhealthy environments. A desire to return to simplicity and escape our overthinking and overcomplicating humanity. Or perhaps its just cool, like astrology.

So if you have any creature you relate to, please share what it is and why you relate to it.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I was a kid, eagle, because it seemed strong and free, and flies alone. When it caws, you can hear it through the sky.
And then albatross, because it was big and strong (again), and great in the air but terrible on land, and are very elegant.

Appearance wise, if I had to be a land animal, it'd be the wolf, because it seems like a pretty neutral animal.
Personality-wise, the Japanese fox, because it watches humans while being removed from them, and are unpredictable. Like the Japanese version of faeries.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was a kid, eagle, because it seemed strong and free, and flies alone. When it caws, you can hear it through the sky.
And then albatross, because it was big and strong (again), and great in the air but terrible on land, and are very elegant.

Appearance wise, if I had to be a land animal, it'd be the wolf, because it seems like a pretty neutral animal.
Personality-wise, the Japanese fox, because it watches humans while being removed from them, and are unpredictable. Like the Japanese version of faeries.

If I had to choose other animals, I really like the red tailed hawk. Mostly for the associations I have with them, like isolation and loneliness, but also free. (I literally just saw one before replying to this thread too) I think I like it because when I was young I loved animorphs and the character I related to most was Tobias, and he was permanently transformed into a Red tailed hawk.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I had to choose other animals, I really like the red tailed hawk. Mostly for the associations I have with them, like isolation and loneliness, but also free. (I literally just saw one before replying to this thread too) I think I like it because when I was young I loved animorphs and the character I related to most was Tobias, and he was permanently transformed into a Red tailed hawk.

Do you google the meanings of the animals? I don't. I just knew that albatrosses can apparently mean misfortune.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Does it have to be an animal? I mean, plants are alive, and if you believe in Shinto ( the origional furries) they all have personality.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you google the meanings of the animals? I don't. I just knew that albatrosses can apparently mean misfortune.

No, I go based on my own symbolism.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it have to be an animal? I mean, plants are alive, and if you believe in Shinto ( the origional furries) they all have personality.

Plants and other things are fine :)

Oberon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
*NT*
Raccoon. One nearly killed me five year ago. Guessing it stopped right before it tore me open and hissed like a snake to tell me something. And I'm guessing what he was saying was, "ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss-I'm your spirit animal bro-sssssssssssssssssssssss."

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like foxes. one winter we were driving through the mountains and there had been a huge blizzard the day before. everywhere was fresh white. we went through a small valley and up the other side and there like a drop of blood was a fox... bounding through the meadow. so beautiful. i always think that when i die i would like to come back as a fox. all bounce and floof tail perfect as a body scarf.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
No, I go based on my own symbolism.

- - - Updated - - -

Plants and other things are fine :)

Okay then, a lotus flower.

Although, I’ve had to time to think about it and if i had to pick an animal; honey badger.

I’m small and not very strong but I am fearless and very tenacious. Do not try and keep me away from place I want to. be, I WILL find a way in...and I’ll take an entire swarm of bees to the face. I don’t give a fuck.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Falcons , they come in my dream and in person. Just Monday night I dreamt of one over head and then in my dream found a brown feather on my dining room table

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The Cat. The Raven. The Spider. The Fox.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not native american or from any kind of tribal background, but as far as kinship with animals...

Land: Bear. Independent, strong, sturdy/solid, no one messes with them. Omnivorous. They go where they want and do what they want.

Air: Raven. Curious, perceptive, very intelligent, communicative.

GJ mentioned spiders: I think the spider is interesting. I am kind of a spiderphobe while still finding them completely fascinating -- iow, I like to watch them close up (if they can't get to me), while at the same time I can feel my skin crawl. It's like they are so alien that I am wigged out but simultaneously my mind keeps trying to grasp them. But I think they are cool because they are writers (in their own way). I have a character for a story who is a spider changeling, actually.

We relate to animals because we are animals. It always amazes me how upsetting some find that idea, like all these items we invent and surround ourselves with are indicative of being above nature. We still share the need for food, water, shelter, and in many cases, companionship on some level. I don’t find using the term animal to describe humans to be derogatory in the slightest.

I’m cliche to be certain, but the wolf does hold a powerful presence in my mind. If I could shift into one creature at will, this would be it. It would be tremendously liberating to run on four legs through vast labyrinthine forests as a wolf. To howl in the stillness of the wilderness on a frigid winter’s night.

No wonder certain societies held a spiritual reverence for other animals. To spend generations living beside them (instead of above them), you’d have to wonder what it would be like to run or fly or swim as something else. We’ve detached ourselves (as a species) from the rest of the ecosystem with such fervor and tend to look down upon it with disdain. It’s sad what we may have lost trading in our tents for condos. I’m not saying we burn everything down and go back to being nomads but I find it depressing that some people will never hike a mountain trail or stand in a forest so large that sounds are almost instantaneously absorbed by the trees. To live and die completely surrounded by concrete and steel sounds like a truly abysmal fate to me.

Okay, I’m done playing hippie now.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
View attachment 21334

2920729005_103582_chevreuil-gracieux.jpg

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I always latched onto sun imagery. Not an animal or. plant, but still.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Crows~ (self identification/relation/sense of kinship) actually occasional others have said crows too now that i think of it, for me

It has something to do with magic and mysticism officially it would seem. Manipulation of physical appearances.

But my relation lies in how they stick together, and clean up the filth, together. The physical appearance manipulation could coincide with my carefully crafted image. Destiny. I have always had a vision of becoming something great. A word it relates to. High level of intelligence is kind of a given. A high up perspective that gives them this wisdom and intellect from a distant observational understanding (nests built up high). I've always kept my distance.

Owls (I've been told this one and gotten it on a test before)

The owl spirit animal represents the deep connection that you share with wisdom, good judgment, and knowledge. Like the owl, which is known for its sharp vision and keen observation, you also possess insight and intuition. The meaning of the owl also has something to do with change or transition.

Change is a sacred word to me. An idea. Society must change. We must change. I must change. You must change. We must evolve. For evolution is the ultimate constant. Exploring mysteries of life as well. I've gone to great lengths for that. Even if unlikely or unfavored. Sometimes especially BECAUSE it is not favored I'll go look at it. It's taboo. It's fun. I may not believe it, but I'll play with it anyway. Also being exceedingly intuitive, I don't look 'at' things. I look 'through' things.