User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 37

  1. #1

    Default Science and Personality Typing Meet

    Talk about interesting. They've found correlation between two of the Big Five factors and types of gut microbiota.

    Correlation between gut microbiota and personality in adults: A cross-sectional study - ScienceDirect

    Abstract

    Personality affects fundamental behavior patterns and has been related with health outcomes and mental disorders. Recent evidence has emerged supporting a relationship between the microbiota and behavior, referred to as brain-gut relationships. Here, we first report correlations between personality traits and gut microbiota. This research was performed using the Revised NEO Personality Inventory and the sequencing data of the 16S rRNA gene in 672 adults. The diversity and the composition of the human gut microbiota exhibited significant difference when stratified by personality traits. We found that personality traits were significantly correlated with diversity of gut microbiota, while their differences were extremely subtle. High neuroticism and low conscientiousness groups were correlated with high abundance of Gammaproteobacteria and Proteobacteria, respectively when covariates, including age, sex, BMI and nutrient intake, were controlled. Additionally, high conscientiousness group also showed increased abundance of some universal butyrate-producing bacteria including Lachnospiraceae. This study was of observational and cross-sectional design and our findings must be further validated through metagenomic or metatranscriptomic methodologies, or metabolomics-based analyses. Our findings will contribute to elucidating potential links between the gut microbiota and personality, and provide useful insights toward developing and testing personality- and microbiota-based interventions for promoting health.
    For diagrams and more detail:

    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ectional_study

  2. #2
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,244

    Default

    You just gave me a nerd boner, which is weird cuz I don't have a dick.
    Perpetual mood


    “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”


    - look it up yourself


    Likes bechimo, Consilience, highlander liked this post

  3. #3

    Default

    Gut microbiota research is cutting edge boner territory for sure! Without it, mental health research was stalled since they couldn't figure it out, even with neuroscience (brain imaging, etc). But since science finally admitted to the correlation between gut bacteria and autism, the door's been blown wide open for so many unanswered questions.
    Likes Consilience, Peter Deadpan, cascadeco liked this post

  4. #4
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Gut microbiota research is cutting edge boner territory for sure! Without it, mental health research was stalled since they couldn't figure it out, even with neuroscience (brain imaging, etc). But since science finally admitted to the correlation between gut bacteria and autism, the door's been blown wide open for so many unanswered questions.
    If you happen to stumble across a reliable resource in your research that directs people on what probiotics to consume for specific ailments, send it my way!
    Perpetual mood


    “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”


    - look it up yourself


    Likes bechimo, Luminous liked this post

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    If you happen to stumble across a reliable resource in your research that directs people on what probiotics to consume for specific ailments, send it my way!
    Frankly, I wouldn't touch probiotics right now since it's going to take science a lot longer to prove all the connections. There might also be a genetic factor relative to the gut microbiome, in that genetics might in some way, influence the composition of the gut microbiome, perhaps creating more hostile or friendly environments for different bacteria.

  6. #6
    Somber and irritated cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Talk about interesting. They've found correlation between two of the Big Five factors and types of gut microbiota.

    Correlation between gut microbiota and personality in adults: A cross-sectional study - ScienceDirect



    For diagrams and more detail:

    (PDF) Correlation between gut microbiota and personality in adults: A cross-sectional study
    Very cool, I first heard of the gut/mental link a few years ago by now, but don't even remember anymore what the study was. So this doesn't surprise me and yeah I'm sure there'll be tons more of research and findings in the future.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes bechimo liked this post

  7. #7
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Frankly, I wouldn't touch probiotics right now since it's going to take science a lot longer to prove all the connections. There might also be a genetic factor relative to the gut microbiome, in that genetics might in some way, influence the composition of the gut microbiome, perhaps creating more hostile or friendly environments for different bacteria.
    Good points.
    Perpetual mood


    “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”


    - look it up yourself


    Likes bechimo liked this post

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Good points.
    Have to add this point since I didn't include it in my prior post, as part of the explanation. If it's too pedantic, just ignore it but I'm hoping that the additional point will round out your understanding, relative to my aversion to probiotics.

    One issue that appears to positively impact is diversity in the gut microbiome. Probiotics focuses on good and bad bacteria which isn't accurate since too much of any type(s) of bacteria or an absence of specific types, can cause problems.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

  9. #9
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Have to add this point since I didn't include it in my prior post, as part of the explanation. If it's too pedantic, just ignore it but I'm hoping that the additional point will round out your understanding, relative to my aversion to probiotics.

    One issue that appears to positively impact is diversity in the gut microbiome. Probiotics focuses on good and bad bacteria which isn't accurate since too much of any type(s) of bacteria or an absence of specific types, can cause problems.
    Really, what we should be doing is eating a diverse whole foods diet to encourage biodiversity in the gut, and obviously for a gazillion other reasons.
    Perpetual mood


    “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”


    - look it up yourself


    Likes bechimo liked this post

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Really, what we should be doing is eating a diverse whole foods diet to encourage biodiversity in the gut, and obviously for a gazillion other reasons.
    Can't comment on whether or not that would work but I can't see any downside to the consumption of diverse healthy foods.

Similar Threads

  1. "24" and Personality Type
    By Mondo in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 11:05 AM
  2. Somatic Types and Personality Types
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 05:15 AM
  3. child abuse, alcholism, and personality "type"
    By velocity in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 12:29 PM
  4. Correlation between Longetivity and Personality Type
    By JustDave in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 01:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO