• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Science and Personality Typing Meet

rav3n

Talk about interesting. They've found correlation between two of the Big Five factors and types of gut microbiota.

Correlation between gut microbiota and personality in adults: A cross-sectional study - ScienceDirect

Abstract

Personality affects fundamental behavior patterns and has been related with health outcomes and mental disorders. Recent evidence has emerged supporting a relationship between the microbiota and behavior, referred to as brain-gut relationships. Here, we first report correlations between personality traits and gut microbiota. This research was performed using the Revised NEO Personality Inventory and the sequencing data of the 16S rRNA gene in 672 adults. The diversity and the composition of the human gut microbiota exhibited significant difference when stratified by personality traits. We found that personality traits were significantly correlated with diversity of gut microbiota, while their differences were extremely subtle. High neuroticism and low conscientiousness groups were correlated with high abundance of Gammaproteobacteria and Proteobacteria, respectively when covariates, including age, sex, BMI and nutrient intake, were controlled. Additionally, high conscientiousness group also showed increased abundance of some universal butyrate-producing bacteria including Lachnospiraceae. This study was of observational and cross-sectional design and our findings must be further validated through metagenomic or metatranscriptomic methodologies, or metabolomics-based analyses. Our findings will contribute to elucidating potential links between the gut microbiota and personality, and provide useful insights toward developing and testing personality- and microbiota-based interventions for promoting health.

For diagrams and more detail:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...personality_in_adults_A_cross-sectional_study

rav3n

Gut microbiota research is cutting edge boner territory for sure! Without it, mental health research was stalled since they couldn't figure it out, even with neuroscience (brain imaging, etc). But since science finally admitted to the correlation between gut bacteria and autism, the door's been blown wide open for so many unanswered questions.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Gut microbiota research is cutting edge boner territory for sure! Without it, mental health research was stalled since they couldn't figure it out, even with neuroscience (brain imaging, etc). But since science finally admitted to the correlation between gut bacteria and autism, the door's been blown wide open for so many unanswered questions.

If you happen to stumble across a reliable resource in your research that directs people on what probiotics to consume for specific ailments, send it my way!

rav3n

If you happen to stumble across a reliable resource in your research that directs people on what probiotics to consume for specific ailments, send it my way!
Frankly, I wouldn't touch probiotics right now since it's going to take science a lot longer to prove all the connections. There might also be a genetic factor relative to the gut microbiome, in that genetics might in some way, influence the composition of the gut microbiome, perhaps creating more hostile or friendly environments for different bacteria.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Talk about interesting. They've found correlation between two of the Big Five factors and types of gut microbiota.

Correlation between gut microbiota and personality in adults: A cross-sectional study - ScienceDirect

For diagrams and more detail:

(PDF) Correlation between gut microbiota and personality in adults: A cross-sectional study

Very cool, I first heard of the gut/mental link a few years ago by now, but don't even remember anymore what the study was. So this doesn't surprise me and yeah I'm sure there'll be tons more of research and findings in the future.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Frankly, I wouldn't touch probiotics right now since it's going to take science a lot longer to prove all the connections. There might also be a genetic factor relative to the gut microbiome, in that genetics might in some way, influence the composition of the gut microbiome, perhaps creating more hostile or friendly environments for different bacteria.

Good points.

rav3n

Good points.
Have to add this point since I didn't include it in my prior post, as part of the explanation. If it's too pedantic, just ignore it but I'm hoping that the additional point will round out your understanding, relative to my aversion to probiotics.

One issue that appears to positively impact is diversity in the gut microbiome. Probiotics focuses on good and bad bacteria which isn't accurate since too much of any type(s) of bacteria or an absence of specific types, can cause problems.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Have to add this point since I didn't include it in my prior post, as part of the explanation. If it's too pedantic, just ignore it but I'm hoping that the additional point will round out your understanding, relative to my aversion to probiotics.

One issue that appears to positively impact is diversity in the gut microbiome. Probiotics focuses on good and bad bacteria which isn't accurate since too much of any type(s) of bacteria or an absence of specific types, can cause problems.

Really, what we should be doing is eating a diverse whole foods diet to encourage biodiversity in the gut, and obviously for a gazillion other reasons.

rav3n

Really, what we should be doing is eating a diverse whole foods diet to encourage biodiversity in the gut, and obviously for a gazillion other reasons.
Can't comment on whether or not that would work but I can't see any downside to the consumption of diverse healthy foods.

Mole

Permabanned
Have to add this point since I didn't include it in my prior post, as part of the explanation. If it's too pedantic, just ignore it but I'm hoping that the additional point will round out your understanding, relative to my aversion to probiotics. One issue that appears to positively impact is diversity in the gut microbiome. Probiotics focuses on good and bad bacteria which isn't accurate since too much of any type(s) of bacteria or an absence of specific types, can cause problems.

There are a trillion cells in our body, and there are more than a trillion microbes in our body
The microbes have different dna than us.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. But what happens if you nuke your gut bacteria on antibiotics? Does it affect your personality?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. It makes me wonder if there is something to Ayurveda.

Lib

Permabanned
This isn't an all or nothing endeavor. Look to the impacts of toxoplasma gondii.
I can't open the article to check the details of this study but if personality traits and gut microbiota are strongly correlated, antibiotics should cause shift in behavior. Especially, if you give gonadii as an example.

rav3n

Lib;3068515[B said:
]You become a completely different person, of course[/B]

I can't open the article to check the details of this study but if personality traits and gut microbiota are strongly correlated, antibiotics should cause shift in behavior. Especially, if you give gonadii as an example.
Refer to your post above. Notice how you dialed down your rhetoric after it was challenged? This also disregards the first rule of science, that correlation =/= causation. But let's speculate. Do you have any factual information that supports your position, that antibiotics wipe out all bacteria? If it only wipes out some, which ones does it wipe out or what percentages does it wipe out? And do you have any evidence that states that gut microbiota aren't influenced by genetics, resetting gut flora by providing optimum environments for certain types of gut bacteria? Also, not all antibiotics are of equal strength.

Lib

Permabanned
Refer to your post above. Notice how you dialed down your rhetoric after it was challenged? This also disregards the first rule of science, that correlation =/= causation. But let's speculate. Do you have any factual information that supports your position, that antibiotics wipe out all bacteria? If it only wipes out some, which ones does it wipe out or what percentages does it wipe out? And do you have any evidence that states that gut microbiota aren't influenced by genetics, resetting gut flora by providing optimum environments for certain types of gut bacteria? Also, not all antibiotics are of equal strength.
Your example with gonadii suggested causation... Anyway, gut microbiota is not just the bacteria that live there but also the extend of representation of each species. If you destroy the balance, which happens upon administration of broad-spectrum antibiotics, which I'm sure Yami meant, you change the system and it ceases to operate in the same manner.

rav3n

Your example with gonadii suggested causation...
This is a strawman.

Anyway, gut microbiota is not just the bacteria that live there but also the extend of representation of each species. If you destroy the balance, which happens upon administration of broad-spectrum antibiotics, which I'm sure Yami meant, you change the system and it ceases to operate in the same manner.
Answer my questions.