• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Multiple Personality Systems] Clifton Strengths

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone taken Clifton Strengths? What were your results?

All of the members of the moderation team just took it as sort of a team building exercise and this is what we got.

mUgXaWo.png

The strengths in italics are ones unique in the moderation team. The color coding is based on the theme domains. Red is Strategic Thinking, Purple is Executing, Yellow is Influencing, and Blue is Relationship Building.

Some interesting data points
  • Ideation, Individualization, and Strategic were tied for the most prevalent strengths
  • 21 of 45 (47%) of our top skills fall under Strategic Thinking.
  • 12 of 45 (27%) of our top skills fall under Relationship Building.
  • 6 of 45 (13%) of our top skills fall under Executing.
  • 6 of 45 (13%) of our top skills fall under Influencing.
  • Coriolis has the most strengths in strategic thinking
  • Jack has the most in relationship building
  • Merced has the most in influencing
  • I have the most most in execution
Thanks to [MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] for making the wonderful chart.

This page provides the complete description for each strength and a little video but this is a brief list and summary for each strength.

Achiever - A relentless need for achievement.
Activator - “When can we start?” is a recurring question in your life.
Adaptability - You live in the moment.
Analytical - “Prove it. Show me why what you are claiming is true.”
Arranger - You are a conductor.
Belief - You have certain core values that are enduring.
Command - You take charge.
Communication - You like to explain, to describe, to host, to speak in public, or to write.
Competition - You have a need to outperform your peers.
Connectedness - You know that we are all connected.
Context - You look back to understand the present.
Deliberative - You identify, assess, and reduce risk.
Developer - You see the potential in others.
Discipline - Your world needs to be ordered and planned.
Empathy - You can sense the emotions of those around you.
Fairness - Balance is important to you.
Focus - Your goals are your compass.
Futuristic - “Wouldn’t it be great if …” The future fascinates you.
Harmony - You look for areas of agreement.
Ideation - You are fascinated by ideas.
Inclusiveness - “Stretch the circle wider.” You can to include people and make them feel like part of the group.
Individualization - You’re intrigued by the unique qualities of each person.
Input - You collection information – words, facts, books and quotations.
Intellection - You like to think. You like mental activity.
Learner - You love to learn.
Maximizer - Excellence, not average, is your measure.
Positivity - You are generous with praise, quick with smile, and always on the look out for the positive in the situation.
Relater - You derive a great deal of pleasure and strength from being around your close friends.
Responsibility - You take psychological ownership for anything you commit to, and you feel emotionally bound to follow it through to completion.
Restorative - You love to solve problems.
Self-assurance - You have faith in your strengths.
Significance - You want to be very significant in the eyes of other people.
Strategic - You create alternative ways to sort through the clutter and find the best route.
Woo - You win others over.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Has anyone taken Clifton Strengths? What were your results?

All of the members of the moderation team just took it as sort of a team building exercise and this is what we got.

mUgXaWo.png

The strengths in italics are ones unique in the moderation team. The color coding is based on the theme domains. Red is Strategic Thinking, Purple is Executing, Yellow is Influencing, and Blue is Relationship Building.

Some interesting data points
  • Ideation, Individualization, and Strategic were tied for the most prevalent strengths
  • 21 of 45 (47%) of our top skills fall under Strategic Thinking.
  • 12 of 45 (27%) of our top skills fall under Relationship Building.
  • 6 of 45 (13%) of our top skills fall under Executing.
  • 6 of 45 (13%) of our top skills fall under Influencing.
  • Coriolis has the most strengths in strategic thinking
  • Jack has the most in relationship building
  • Merced has the most in influencing
  • I have the most most in execution
Thanks to [MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] for making the wonderful chart.

This page provides the complete description for each strength and a little video but this is a brief list and summary for each strength.

Achiever - A relentless need for achievement.
Activator - “When can we start?” is a recurring question in your life.
Adaptability - You live in the moment.
Analytical - “Prove it. Show me why what you are claiming is true.”
Arranger - You are a conductor.
Belief - You have certain core values that are enduring.
Command - You take charge.
Communication - You like to explain, to describe, to host, to speak in public, or to write.
Competition - You have a need to outperform your peers.
Connectedness - You know that we are all connected.
Context - You look back to understand the present.
Deliberative - You identify, assess, and reduce risk.
Developer - You see the potential in others.
Discipline - Your world needs to be ordered and planned.
Empathy - You can sense the emotions of those around you.
Fairness - Balance is important to you.
Focus - Your goals are your compass.
Futuristic - “Wouldn’t it be great if …” The future fascinates you.
Harmony - You look for areas of agreement.
Ideation - You are fascinated by ideas.
Inclusiveness - “Stretch the circle wider.” You can to include people and make them feel like part of the group.
Individualization - You’re intrigued by the unique qualities of each person.
Input - You collection information – words, facts, books and quotations.
Intellection - You like to think. You like mental activity.
Learner - You love to learn.
Maximizer - Excellence, not average, is your measure.
Positivity - You are generous with praise, quick with smile, and always on the look out for the positive in the situation.
Relater - You derive a great deal of pleasure and strength from being around your close friends.
Responsibility - You take psychological ownership for anything you commit to, and you feel emotionally bound to follow it through to completion.
Restorative - You love to solve problems.
Self-assurance - You have faith in your strengths.
Significance - You want to be very significant in the eyes of other people.
Strategic - You create alternative ways to sort through the clutter and find the best route.
Woo - You win others over.

I've never heard of it. How does it differ from the VIA strengths test?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm not familiar with that one. In 1998, the Father of Strengths Psychology, Donald O. Clifton, Ph.D. (1924-2003), along with Tom Rath and a team of scientists at The Gallup Organization, created the online StrengthsFinder assessment. In 2001, they included the first edition of StrengthsFinder with the bestseller Now, Discover Your Strengths. In 2004, the assessment's name was formally changed to "Clifton StrengthsFinder" in honor of its chief designer.

In 2007, building on the initial assessment and language from StrengthsFinder 1.0, Rath and Gallup scientists released a new edition of the assessment, program, and website, dubbed "StrengthsFinder 2.0." Rooted in more than 40 years of research, this assessment has helped millions discover and develop their natural talents. Now it's called CliftonStrengths.

One of the guys who wrote that first book is Marcus Buckingham. He ended up leaving, starting his own firm and he has a different system that he created. So there are a few of these systems out there.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not familiar with that one. In 1998, the Father of Strengths Psychology, Donald O. Clifton, Ph.D. (1924-2003), along with Tom Rath and a team of scientists at The Gallup Organization, created the online StrengthsFinder assessment. In 2001, they included the first edition of StrengthsFinder with the bestseller Now, Discover Your Strengths. In 2004, the assessment's name was formally changed to "Clifton StrengthsFinder" in honor of its chief designer.

In 2007, building on the initial assessment and language from StrengthsFinder 1.0, Rath and Gallup scientists released a new edition of the assessment, program, and website, dubbed "StrengthsFinder 2.0." Rooted in more than 40 years of research, this assessment has helped millions discover and develop their natural talents. Now it's called CliftonStrengths.

One of the guys who wrote that first book is Marcus Buckingham. He ended up leaving, starting his own firm and he has a different system that he created. So there are a few of these systems out there.

Oh.... hmmm, well what I'm talking about came out of research at the University of Pennsylvania. I've posted links to it before, but here it is again, if you're interested.

Positive psychology

It's available under questionnaires. You have to create an account, but it's free. I do remember the test taking a while, though.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I was looking at this, I was thinking about the diversity we have in the modbox. We have 2 INTJs, 2 INFJs, 1 ENFJ, 1 ENFP, 1 ESTP, 1 ESFP, and 1 ESTJ. We have a high number of Ni doms and auxes but still a lot of variety. It kind of shows in these results as they are so varied. However there isn't a clear connection between the strengths and 4 letter type. Look at [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] vs me or [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] vs [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]. We are extremely different from each other. The heavy strategic might relate to Ni or at least intuition in general.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I was looking at this, I was thinking about the diversity we have in the modbox. We have 2 INTJs, 2 INFJs, 1 ENFJ, 1 ENFP, 1 ESTP, 1 ESFP, and 1 ESTJ. We have a high number of Ni doms and auxes but still a lot of variety. It kind of shows in these results as they are so varied. However there isn't a clear connection between the strengths and 4 letter type. Look at [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] vs me or [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] vs [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]. We are extremely different from each other. The heavy strategic might relate to Ni or at least intuition in general.

I think the strengths test further illustrates that, despite having some of the same basic functions at the core, MBTI is a pretty broad descriptor overall. The same MBTI type comes in a variety of flavors. I’ve always found Enneagram useful for filling in some of those gaps. Life experiences (among other things) can certainly impact what is fostered, and how it’s expressed in the long term, as well.

Going back over my test results, I can find a decent amount of it relatable if I think about it in the most general terms. The phrasing in the videos & some of the written parts has a cold/“corporate vibe” (not sure how else to put it), that created a bit of a challenge relating, initially.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess most haven't heard of it. I'll post a link to a test sometime soon for those that want to take it in order to generate some further discusion. First come, first serve.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I took the high five one earlier today after seeing someone post about it in their blog.

Not one to one with the clifton test but its the one I took and the other is down now so... thats that. I think most translate except for perhaps the first one ‘thinker’

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I guess most haven't heard of it. I'll post a link to a test sometime soon for those that want to take it in order to generate some further discusion. First come, first serve.

I thought you had to pay to take the Clifton test.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I took this back in... around 2003? (my company/job paid for it).... I got Input, Intellection, Connectedness, Deliberative, and Strategic

Personally I disagree(d) with Input, as I don't really collect facts or anything... but I guess it could apply to my i.d.'ing and remembering birds, wildflowers, and natural history type stuff? But little else. haha. Also, I think those results might have been closely tied to my having been really focused on academics growing up and also getting a science degree in college - that was only a few years after I graduated. otoh... of the entire list of strengths, these are probably in the top for sure, since I don't relate to most of the strengths.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you guys (mods) feel those strengths actually fit?

I'd been meaning to get the book at some point - because if memory serves, you get an access code to take the test for free in the book (an access code that only works once - can't get used copy of book) and it can actually be cheaper to buy the book than pay for the test directly - but I haven't gotten around to it. (I'm pretty sure this is the same system I'm thinking of anyway).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you guys (mods) feel those strengths actually fit?

I'd been meaning to get the book at some point - because if memory serves, you get an access code to take the test for free in the book (an access code that only works once - can't get used copy of book) and it can actually be cheaper to buy the book than pay for the test directly - but I haven't gotten around to it. (I'm pretty sure this is the same system I'm thinking of anyway).

Mine fit really well. So 10. Achiever and Command are definitely my top 2. They are like my hammer looking for a nail - both a strength and a weakness. I have taken it three times and gotten mostly the same results. One time I got strategic instead of restorative but I am pretty sure restorative is a stronger thing for me than strategic.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My top result has always been restorative.... I poke holes in nearly everything but then come up several alternative routes... with anything I am passionate about...especially pertaining to people and processes.

My business partner calls me his "secret weapon" because I give him a lot of input in the background. Seems to fit nicely with FeNi 359.

[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]: Who's the ENFJ? I thought [MENTION=22264]Bush Did 9/11[/MENTION] settled on ENTP.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My top result has always been restorative.... I poke holes in nearly everything but then come up several alternative routes... with anything I am passionate about...especially pertaining to people and processes.

My business partner calls me his "secret weapon" because I give him a lot of input in the background. Seems to fit nicely with FeNi 359.

[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]: Who's the ENFJ? I thought [MENTION=22264]Bush Did 9/11[/MENTION] settled on ENTP.

Oh I thought he was ENFJ

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

10/10. Accurate enough to make me genuinely contemplate unlocking the whole 36 to see my full results.

When I put the results together, it did surprise me that I was so radically different from the others on the #ModSquad. I haven't really absorbed what this implies about us. In some but not all the descriptions I read, it recommended to pair up with someone with a specific other strength to maximize results.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Similar ideas but different authors and organizations. Strengthsfinders is more career-based and VIA is based on character strengths because the premise behind positive psychology is concentrating our strengths to fix the problems within as opposed to the traditional psychology modalities being more geared towards diagnostics and "focusing on the problem".

*I took both of them and read up a lot about positive psychology and therapeutic modalities a few years back.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sorry for screwing up all of the results

:alttongue:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

My results are about an 8. All five are a good fit, but I would have expected to see a couple others placed higher, especially focus and possibly futuristic. Who knows, perhaps they were 6 and 7 on my list. I am much more goal oriented in what I learn than "learner" suggests. I guess there is just so much to learn in the world, that I can find things to learn that both are enjoyable and will help me accomplish something important to me. I am not nearly as perfectionistic as "deliberative" suggests, and can run through this deliberation quickly and rather impressionistically. I resist letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. "Ideation" seems more brainstormy and piecemeal than the way I come up with ideas. (Ne vs. Ni, perhaps.) I typically get ideas at once, fully formed, rather than assembling them from pieces/parts with others as this speaker describes. "Intellection" might have been a better fit in terms of how I think about things. It is much more premeditated, like that speaker described, but then perhaps that is captured in "deliberative".

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ohh, I took this.... sometime ago. I don't remember when. Um, maybe 5-8 years ago? (luckily I kept my book copy in my book case)

I got:

1. Input
2. Ideation
3. Empathy
4. Intellectual
5. Futuristic

Which is a great combo for fueling the perpetual motion machine of ideas that is my mind. But as we can see there are fatal flaws: in that I have no natural check to edit or enact ideas. They just sail on through the ocean between my ears and then leak out in shocking fashion.